Egg Camper half closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Egg Camper half closet

The shape is a right triangle with the longest side curving away from the inside. No closet rod. I'd like to put some sort of storage compartments or shelves in it. Cannot attach anything because the bottom is removable for electric cord storage access and the curved side is the fiberglass outside wall. Looking for ideas. Only had the E.C. for a week and is still unused. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
are you talking about the street or curb side? I can send some pictures tomorrow.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We pack our clothes in duffel bags and throw them in that closet, along with the dirty clothes bag. It's also a great place for extra blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, etc. I put shelves in the other closet and made it a lot more useful - you can see modification done by me and others by going to the "trailer registry" and selecting Eggcamper in the "advanced search" area. I've considered replacing the cord storage locker with a "shore power" plug like used on boats; I think that cpaharley has already done that, (as well as other neat modifications); then you could use nearly the entire closet and put in shelves without getting in the way of the access floor.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
If your trailer has a door that you open and reach in for the electrical cord, Camping World has a kit that replaces that door with a 30a three prong twist lock just like the boat shore power connection.

I like mine and gained all that room. )

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We pack our clothes in duffel bags and throw them in that closet, along with the dirty clothes bag. It's also a great place for extra blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, etc. I put shelves in the other closet and made it a lot more useful - you can see modification done by me and others by going to the "trailer registry" and selecting Eggcamper in the "advanced search" area. I've considered replacing the cord storage locker with a "shore power" plug like used on boats; I think that cpaharley has already done that, (as well as other neat modifications); then you could use nearly the entire closet and put in shelves without getting in the way of the access floor.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #5

Michigan
to cpaharley...it's the street side half closet. It's kinda hard to comprehend but our Egg Camper has MORE closet space than our 31 ft Kodiak.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
here is a photo of my closet-curb side. the first one shows the closet door reversed, it allows easier access.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00753.jpg   DSC00754.jpg  

DSC00755.jpg   DSC00756.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
My street side just has 2 shelves plus the electric cord storage which I converted.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00762.jpg   DSC00763.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
here are the 2 shelves on street side, on top of electrical area access from outside
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00757.jpg   DSC00758.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #9

Michigan
Thanks for the photos. How did you attach the streetside shelves? My Egg has an electric cord hatch on the outside but not a detachable cord.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
The detachable cord is a kit bought from CW and is a modification. I did not like the opening in the hatch that may allow critters.
The shelves are attached via strips of wood glued to the fiberglass exterior, have held for 4 years now, you can see a sample piece of wood glued in one of the above pictures (#6) inside the streetside, this is attached to the shower wall and is braced to outside wall.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #11

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Here is what I did.

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Here is what I did.

I've got one of those but it only three drawers,where did you find a four drawer?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #13

Michigan
Have you fastened it in or anchored it in any way?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Have you fastened it in or anchored it in any way?
I made it out of two of them, they are expandable, just remove the top plastic plate add a drawer and replace top.

I did anchor it, the plastic housing is screwed to the wood shelf on the bottom, and I drilled holes in front of each drawer and put a rivet as a stop.

Look close at the pic and you can see the anchor screws in the bottom through the drawer, and you can also see the rivet stops.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Shelves in my EggCamper

Hi Bob,
I too have an EggCamper and added shelving to both closets. The easiest way to attach shelving is to use 3M 4200 Fast Cure adhesive to mount small blocks of wood directly to the fiberglass walls. Measure up from the floor of the closet to define a line on the insulation where your shelf will be. Cut away a small section of the insulation where you want to mount the block and clean the surface with MEK or acetone to remove any adhesive from the insulation. Apply an ample amount of the 4200 and press the block to the fiberglass. If you cut the insulation so that the block gets some support from the remaining edge of the insulation, you don't even have to clamp the block. The 4200 will hold it against the wall and the insulation will keep it from slipping down. Wait 24 hours before trying to attach anything to the block. I used maple (hardwood) for blocks and 1/4 birch plywood for the shelves. The hardwood holds a screw really well.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
LargeCloset.jpg   SmallCloset.jpg  

MountBlocks1.jpg   TestFitShelves1.jpg  

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #16

Michigan
Thanks. It's always good to hear from somebody who's "been there and done that." Is the all electric working ok for you? Though our house is all electric, it'll be new to have an RV that is.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:24 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Thanks. It's always good to hear from somebody who's "been there and done that." Is the all electric working ok for you? Though our house is all electric, it'll be new to have an RV that is.
We've been camping for a couple of years in the EggCamper and early on I bought a honda 2000eu generator. But since then, I've only used the generator once and now I'm thinking of adding some solar to charge the battery. (Solar is much quieter and doesn't offend neighboring campers.) On most weekend trips, power isn't a problem. The fridge is very efficient and will go a couple of days without charging. I modified all the lighting to replace the incandescent with LEDs. Except for state and federal parks in the north, most places have electric hookups. We cook mostly outside with a small propane stove, just like we did when we tented.

If you're anywhere near NY or PA, you should join us at the Pocono Rally this summer. Check out the Calendar on the left.

Ron
Old 04-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
We've been camping for a couple of years in the EggCamper and early on I bought a honda 2000eu generator. But since then, I've only used the generator once and now I'm thinking of adding some solar to charge the battery. (Solar is much quieter and doesn't offend neighboring campers.) On most weekend trips, power isn't a problem. The fridge is very efficient and will go a couple of days without charging. I modified all the lighting to replace the incandescent with LEDs. Except for state and federal parks in the north, most places have electric hookups. We cook mostly outside with a small propane stove, just like we did when we tented.

If you're anywhere near NY or PA, you should join us at the Pocono Rally this summer. Check out the Calendar on the left.

Ron
Ron,
You still haven't reversed your closet door? I found it awkward to open it and then having to step back. Also I see on the newer models the catch on the street side is 2/3 way up, I guess so someone sitting at the dinette would not brush back on it. That move is still to be done as I have not brushed or leaned back while sitting. I like your shelving, mine was done by the factory and not as compartmentized as yours.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ron,
You still haven't reversed your closet door? I found it awkward to open it and then having to step back. Also I see on the newer models the catch on the street side is 2/3 way up, I guess so someone sitting at the dinette would not brush back on it. That move is still to be done as I have not brushed or leaned back while sitting. I like your shelving, mine was done by the factory and not as compartmentized as yours.
Thanks. After first installing the curb side shelves, I added the divider, which then allowed me to use those little bars that you stretch across the front to keep things from falling off the shelves while traveling. When I added the shelving, I moved the closet pole to the street side closet, placed it high up in the closet. It's shorter and bit more difficult to access, but we don't bring many hanging clothes when we camp.

The door mounting for the closet works as is for us. We cook outside almost always and we often just reach in for things in the closet.

I really like your electric cord modification and small hatch on the street side.

My next projects for the EggCamper are an Atwood propane furnace and solar panels. I think with those mods, we'll have some additional options for off-the-grid camping.

I'm looking forward to checking out yours and other folks modifications at the Poconos.

We're lovin' our EggCamper. Even on rainy days, it never feels cramped.

Ron
Old 04-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, so am I. It will not be long before July in the Poconos, I'm hoping to get up there next month to check it out and try the WaveIII install.

Tags
eggcamper