Tailgate camera for backing/hitching - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Tailgate camera for backing/hitching

We're planning ahead for a future towing vehicle - comparing the Ford Escape to the Toyota Tacoma. Both can come with a tailgate-mounted camera with dash-mounted monitor to view backing and hitch position. Seems like the coolest thing since pneumatic tires. Has anyone run into a downside to these little cameras other than added expense? One guy said that if you back a "taco" with the tailgate down, the camera is pointed at the muffler, but other than that, he loves it. If you back a camper, does it constantly beep at you thinking you're too close to your own camper? Again, any problems with them in real use? Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We just purchased a camera but not for the back of the tow vehicle but rather for the back of the trailer. My concern is not connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle but rather seeing traffic behind the trailer providing better lane change information.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
What camera may I ask, did you pick? Is it wired or wireless?
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #4

Florida
Sandra, We bought a wireless camera though it is capable of running in a non wireless mode as well. I intend to set it up in the wireless mode to eliminate the requirement for a tow vehicle to trailer cable. I hope to have it setup next week. I have tried it on the table and it worked well. I bought it on Amazon for $58. I choose this one because I liked the reviews.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics® 2.4G Wireless Car Rear View Back-Up Camera System with 4.3" Color TFT LCD Monitor (Waterproof IP67 / Color CMOS / 135 Degree Viewing Angle / 7 IR LED Night Vision / Distant Scale Lines): Car Electronics

Note: I know many people who have used wireless cameras have had trouble but I plan to locate the wireless transmitters as close as I can to each other yet keeping them inside the tow vehicle and trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
If you back a camper, does it constantly beep at you thinking you're too close to your own camper? Again, any problems with them in real use? Dale
We have the camera on our Tundra which is most likely the same that comes on the Tacoma.. It does beep when attached to the trailer, but only when the vehicle is in reverse because that's the only time the camera goes active. I don't find it annoying. Its great. Last week we drove a friends Suburau Outback. Their camera video screen is located in the rear view mirror. Convenient and a line indicates when you're a foot away from an object.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I don't need a rear view camera for hitching up but like Norm I felt a rear facing one on the trailer would be a huge plus. I've been researching a rear view camera for my Bigfoot as well but after reading review after review I came away thinking that these wireless rear view cams aren't quite ready for prime time. It sure would be a great tool and possibly allow the elimination of my extra wide tow mirrors.

Norm, please post your impressions of the one your purchased as soon as you've put it through its paces. I'm anxious to hear how it works. Thanks!

Mike
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Back up cameras are a great aid to connecting the trailer, not to mention backing up in general. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has a button to turn off the beeping when the trailer is following us.

We use a rear view safety brand wired camera on the rear to see behind the trailer. About $200 on Amazon. 7" video image quality is excellent. Installation is a one-time PITA.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #8

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
We used the Peak PKCORB camera setup to view out the back of our Scamp.
Here is an update we posted recently after installing the same camera in our Escape 5.0

UPDATE -Some time ago we posted about interference problems when using our Peak PKCORB camera as a full time rear view camera. After some fiddling around we were successful and, for a couple of years, used the Peak PKCORB with our Scamp 5er with only some occasional interference. So it was good enough to keep using, which we did.

However, we recently sold our Scamp and purchased a 2008 Escape 5.0. The distance that the camera must transmit the signal is basically the same as it was in the Scamp. We have the same tow vehicle and we set everything up exactly the same way. And have discovered that the camera works REALLY well with the Escape. The only difference seems to be that the Escape is not lined with Reflectix the way Scamps are. Our Escape does not have the extra insulation which would mean there was a layer of Reflectix lining the trailer.
So, if you are using this setup with a Scamp it just may be the Reflectix which is the culprit. Not sure if removing a small piece at the nose of the trailer and placing the transmitter there would fix the interference...

BTW, if we don't have the camera hooked up, we WILL pick up local TV stations on the monitor....
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Sandra, We bought a wireless camera though it is capable of running in a non wireless mode as well. I intend to set it up in the wireless mode to eliminate the requirement for a tow vehicle to trailer cable. I hope to have it setup next week. I have tried it on the table and it worked well. I bought it on Amazon for $58. I choose this one because I liked the reviews.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics® 2.4G Wireless Car Rear View Back-Up Camera System with 4.3" Color TFT LCD Monitor (Waterproof IP67 / Color CMOS / 135 Degree Viewing Angle / 7 IR LED Night Vision / Distant Scale Lines): Car Electronics

Note: I know many people who have used wireless cameras have had trouble but I plan to locate the wireless transmitters as close as I can to each other yet keeping them inside the tow vehicle and trailer.
Thanks for the response. Actually thanks for all the responses. The idea of placing the camera inside never occurred to me. Neither did a window mount. I too, await your review!
I have a back-up camera on my '05 Sienna, but it is off-center because of the lift gate handle. For me it is no help. I will be trying the Swift Hitch, which I hope will help the "grass hopper"action.
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #10

Registry
Here is a link to our album on the Scampers forum for the install of the Peak camera system in our 2005 Scamp 5er Deluxe:
Yahoo! Groups
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita
I too have the Peak camera installed on my F150 and am quite happy with it. I still can't believe the price. At the local True Value Hardware, with a coupon. A net cost of $28 for a wireless model.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I found that the Reflectix does block the XM sat. radio signal, so I had to mount the antenna between the escape hatch cover and its' screen. I also had poor quality wireless back-up camera reception and switched over to one wired in place. This was the one on sale that someone had posted on FGRV site some time back, and it was less than $30.00. The picture is very clear. The camera is mounted inside at the upper corner of the rear window of the Scamp. It is great to be able to see behind the trailer all the time while driving. I have been using wireless cameras for years as a "rear view mirror" on my Jeeps, as I have a very large 37" spare tire blocking the rear window, and have used the cameras in the front to be able to see what is in front of us or what is on the top of the hill we are cresting, as the only thing one can normally see is the hood of the Jeep and the sky.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #13

Florida
Hello to you Dave.

I recall the posts about trouble with wireless. Hoping the location at our front window will resolve it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 1980 Burro
I read somewhere that it is illegal to drive forward with the camera operating if the display is visible from the front seat area. The same as having a TV or dvd player in operation, it is considered a distraction. That is why cameras installed by the manufacturer only work when backing up. Most of the aftermarket displays have a connection to make it so it only operates when backing up (although that is easy to defeat). If planning on using it all the time you might want to mount the display out of sight to the police.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #15

Florida
It may be the case that it's not legal but I have no doubt that being able to see rearward adds to our safety. It's apparant that GPS is allowed on the dash as well as tire sensor monitors and scan guages.

Mine will be on all the time, it even has noght vision.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It may be the case that it's not legal but I have no doubt that being able to see rearward adds to our safety. It's apparant that GPS is allowed on the dash as well as tire sensor monitors and scan guages.

Mine will be on all the time, it even has noght vision.
Since we tow with a pickup, we mounted the camera monitor on a suction cup affixed on the back window of the cab with the monitor facing forward. The driver can see the monitor by looking in the rearview mirror..so it is just like normal. You just have to reverse the image on the monitor so that it takes the mirror into account.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #17

Florida
I tend to put things in the line of site. Our Ultragauge sits in front and between RPM and MPH, the tire dauge in the upper right corner of the windshield and the rather small monitor for the camera on the dash to the right of center. These positions allow me to keep my eyes on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
One guy said that if you back a "taco" with the tailgate down, the camera is pointed at the muffler...
The backup cameras that I have seen on pickup trucks are mounted on the tailgate adjacent to the handle, and the Tacoma is an example of this, so they would look the wrong way when the tailgate is down.

I can see lowering the tailgate to back up without a camera - I raise the hatch on our van to back up the trailer so I can see it - but I think the idea is that the camera replaces looking directly, so you would back up to the trailer with the tailgate up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #19

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
I read somewhere that it is illegal to drive forward with the camera operating if the display is visible from the front seat area.
Although I have occasionally read the same thing, I do not believe it is true. I have some time in the automotive sector and have also read at least some of the relevant sections of FMVSS and don't remember that. Could you cite a specific reference for me to read and research?

People use GPS navigation devices frequently and while you have to make sure you don't impair your forward vision inappropriately you rarely hear of issues of people getting pulled over for it.

Personally, I am quite fond of the displays in the mirror for these types of application. It also fits the need for looking like it "fits in".

ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
I read somewhere that it is illegal to drive forward with the camera operating if the display is visible from the front seat area. The same as having a TV or dvd player in operation, it is considered a distraction. That is why cameras installed by the manufacturer only work when backing up. Most of the aftermarket displays have a connection to make it so it only operates when backing up (although that is easy to defeat).
This makes no sense to me. A TV or DVD player is showing content unrelated to driving, so it is a distraction, but the backup camera is showing the same thing as a mirror - are rearview mirrors illegal distractions?

Of course, good sense and legislation often conflict: what regulation is this? No offense, but "I read somewhere" is just rumour. If I read somewhere that it's illegal to drive a white four-door sedan because it could be confused with a police car - which makes at least as much sense as the camera thing - would anyone believe me?

My motorhome has a backup camera. The display comes on automatically when reverse is selected, but it can also be turned on manually... just by pushing a button on the display unit, not by any modification or clever workaround. I turn it on sometimes when I am concerned that someone is really close behind me and out of the view of my mirrors. It is factory-installed and likely compliant with all real regulations.

If the display replaces the normal view through the interior rear-view mirror, my guess is that display probably does not meet the legal requirements (at least by federal standards) for a rear-view mirror, so dual outside mirrors would be required... but all modern cars and especially all trailer-towing vehicles have two of those anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper