Tailgate camera for backing/hitching - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 1980 Burro
State by state information... Looks OK in many states...

Telematics | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
State by state information... Looks OK in many states...

Telematics | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
At a quick scan, most of those restrictions apply to television, which is not the same as a video display. Some explicitly refer to broadcasts, and the intent is clearly different from video monitoring of the immediate environment; many explicitly allow video displays used for the control of the vehicle. With that understanding, only the poorly written Illinois rule appears to be a problem, and even that might not be accurately reported in the list.

The Northwest Territories and Nunavut (which were one territory when the rule was written many years ago) actually use the term CRT, but at least they allowed for advancing technology and put in an "equivalent" reference. The most amusing part to me is the Alaskan reference to "Loran". Only in Alaska would anyone think to put LORAN in a road vehicle...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
At a quick scan, most of those restrictions apply to television, which is not the same as a video display. Some explicitly refer to broadcasts, and the intent is clearly different from video monitoring of the immediate environment; many explicitly allow video displays used for the control of the vehicle. With that understanding, only the poorly written Illinois rule appears to be a problem, and even that might not be accurately reported in the list.
Keep in mind that many of these laws were written some time ago and may use terms that are not commonly used today. Without seeing the actual laws it isn't possible to tell, but what is referred to today as a backup camera and video monitor would have been called closed circuit television in the past. A case could even be be made that the wireless backup models are broadcast TV.

Wikipedia definition of television "Television (TV) is a telecommunication medium for transmitting and receiving moving images..."

I saw a number of states that prohibited TV and did not exclude uses like navigation or better visibility. Poorly written or out of date laws can still be enforced, even if they are stupid.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #24

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings all,
My wife and i use the Reese 7807944 hindsight wireless camera/monitor. We hang the monitor on the rear view mirror. The camera has a magnetic mount that we attach to the rear van doors when hooking up the trailer, then we move the camera to the inside rear window of the trailer and use it as a rear-view to traffic behind.

We've been happy with the unit. The only thing we had to adjust is making sure to remove the upper lexan storm window as it can confuse the camera into IR/night mode and have a large white spot in the monitor. After we figured that out, it's been a usable system for monitoring traffic.

: ) Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scamp Cam.
We've mounted our camera in the corner of the rear Window. This allows the window to slide and no screen interference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130928_154521.png
Views:	35
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	65013

The wireless transmitter is located in the front window with Velcro. It is cabled from to the camera.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130928_154734.png
Views:	29
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	65014

The wireless receiver is in our Honda. The power to the receiver comes from the switch that sends power to the trailer.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130928_155100.png
Views:	33
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	65015

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
We have the camera on our Tundra which is most likely the same that comes on the Tacoma.. It does beep when attached to the trailer, but only when the vehicle is in reverse because that's the only time the camera goes active. I don't find it annoying. Its great. Last week we drove a friends Suburau Outback. Their camera video screen is located in the rear view mirror. Convenient and a line indicates when you're a foot away from an object.
Both the Toyota Tacoma's I recently drove a 2012 & a 2011 both had the back up video screen built into the rear view mirror as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #27

Florida
Certainly the rear view is a good place for the display. I choose to mount mine on the dash because it's designed to be used to view behind the trailer.

The display is similar to a rear view mirror in size, a little shorter, and could be mounted to the mirror.

It turns out the display has two inputs. It appears one could buy a second camera and mount it on the rear window or license plate frame of the tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #28

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I didn't want any holes in my new Jeep and didn't want the screen anywhere visible when we were towing so mounted the screen to a cut off water bottle that fits snugly in the cup holder. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2667552011.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	65044
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #29

Florida
Besides the road, I have three items that I've tried to locate in my normal line of sight, so my eyes don't have to move much from the road.

The three are: 1 trailer/car tire pressure gauge, upper right corner of windshield, it also alarms beyond low and high pressure limits. 2. Ultraguage located in front of and below thef RPM and MPH, primarily for instantaneous MPG and engine temp. 3. trailer rear view camera, on dash center under rear view mirror.

I also use the rear view mirror for trailer level, the rock shield latches line up with a rear antenna line in the rear window when the trailer's level.

We rarely use GPS except when looking for a city address or the like. Then we use our smart phone and primarily listen to the GPS voice placing the phone on the tray between us.

When leaving the Honda we do not remove any of the extra displays, feeling they are not thief targets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #30

Florida
The camera is fully functional. Returning from the store I turned on the display in the Honda about 120 feet from the trailer and immediately got a picture from the camera located in the Scamp's rear window.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #31

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1998 Bigfoot 21'
Nevada
I've got an 07 Tacoma with the rear camera over the hitch.

It's like gold. I used to have to either get out of the truck a few times or have someone guide me in, and with the camera I back right up to the hitch and its ready to drop.

No negatives to the backup camera from my point of view. I consider it almost necessary equipment now that I'm used to it.
Joe Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #32
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I had a 2011 taco, now a 2013 taco - the newer one has a wider field of view than the old, plus the side lines, center line, and range lines superimposed on the rearview mirror image.

I absolutely love it. As an added aid, I painted the tip of the tongue a bright yellow - very easy to see when backing up in dim light or just walking past the trailer when unhooked.

No more shin smacks!
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0217.jpg  

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #33

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Charlie, Nice! Another question about your photo - is the front stabilizer (at least that's what it looks like) a one-piece that stabilizes both sides? Factory-install, or owner modification? We've got the back taken care of, but I'm still toying with different options for stabilizing the front a bit more. Something simple, quick and easy. A frame-mounted scissor jack on each side would work, but do you have a better suggestion? Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #34

Name: Jen
Trailer: 2008 13ft Scamp 2nd owner
Wisconsin
Registry
We have a 2013 Ford Escape with the rearview camera. I think it is standard on the 2014 models.

I generally get more flustered(read irritated) while hooking and backing with an assistant. AND Since I am the only one to tow and hook/unhook...I luv it. No more arguments before we are even unhooked!

Once it is hooked up and the 4-pin(or 7, if modified) is connected the system recognizes that a trailer is attached. (At least on the model I have) Therefore, there is no beeping while backing in to set up.
jalanjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I also use the rear view mirror for trailer level, the rock shield latches line up with a rear antenna line in the rear window when the trailer's level.
But what do you do if the car isnt level or actually know it is?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #36

Florida
Carol, I'm always looking for information. The relationship between the Honda's rear window and the trailer's front window suggest they are in the same plane. This is a left over from the time before we added tire pressure sensors to the trailer.

I try to monitor the state of trailer, tow vehicle and traffic, not from fear but responsibility.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Charlie, Nice! Another question about your photo - is the front stabilizer (at least that's what it looks like) a one-piece that stabilizes both sides? Factory-install, or owner modification? We've got the back taken care of, but I'm still toying with different options for stabilizing the front a bit more. Something simple, quick and easy. A frame-mounted scissor jack on each side would work, but do you have a better suggestion? Dale
Dale,
I've got a couple of BAL single arm jacks on the front; I think what you may think is a stabilizer is actually my WDH with the arm unfolded.
Charlie

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #38

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
The factory reverse camera and alert system in my Ford pickup is the cat's meow. It makes backing much safer and easier. You push a button on the steering wheel to turn the beeper off when backing a trailer.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The relationship between the Honda's rear window and the trailer's front window suggest they are in the same plane. .
Thanks Norm when you are backing into a site that has a fairly evenly sloped equally front front to back & side to side I can see how your system works but my question was how do you know the trailer is level in situations where the site level changes from side to side depending on whether you are at the front of the site or the rear of the site? It seems to me using your method that if the line on the rear window isnt aligned with the window on the trailer, it could be two things - either the trailer isnt level or the car isnt. Do you have quick way of determining that? Perhaps a level in the car as well or do you still need to get out of the car and look a the levels on the trailer as most of us do?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #40

Florida
I only use that feature when driving down the road. I'd use it to see if a tire on the trailer was going low on either side. Never happened so I don't know if it would have worked. I will say it gives me an idea about trailer bounce on rough roads.

When backing into a site I simply focus on the imaginary 'back in arc'. Ginny always gets out before I move the trailer and provides another level of guidance. choosing the parking spot, and is reponsible for determining if we need to 'block' one side or the other.

We carry our blocks in the back bumper box. She gets them, places them and tells me when located on the block.

We have a side level, a front level and a bubble level on the tongue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
eggcamper