Ventura towing query - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Ventura towing query

I am considering buying a Ventura trailer but read on one forum that they are "a hard tow" referring to their less than aerodynamic shape, I assume. How much of an issue is this for those of you towing these trailers and in what way? I am going to be taking some long trips and am concerned that mileage may be drastically effected. I have a choice of 2 vehicles, both VWs- a Eurovan or a diesel station wagon. The diesel would be my choice for mileage but I am wondering if a higher vehicle like the van might help with the aerodynamics, though this is a topic I know nothing about.
Any feedback would be very appreciated.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
They are a a tough tow as they are a boxy design with a fairly flat front plus they are pretty tall compared to say a Boler. I towed mine with a Subaru legacy then a Subaru Outback and finally a F150. Mine was modded and did weigh in around 1800-2000 lbs loaded. Towing with the Subaru's , I always felt like I was at the top of my power availability and usually kept it around 90 kph. I switched out to my 2004 F150 heritage with a 4.6l and it made it a a nicer tow. BTW I get better mileage towing my much heavier 17' Casita than I got tow the Ventura with the F150 so the curved front does make a huge difference. Its like trying to push a 6x8 sheet of plywood down the road. That being said, I did like the trailer and had a great time with ours and only decided on upgrading to get a bathroom, still miss it.

The Eurovan would probably cut the air and help with the towing. Get the owners manuals out and check what they 2 models are rated to tow and base your weight around the 1500- 2000 lb weight and about 150 tongue weight.

If you try to push these guys fast you will kill you fuel mileage. Find the sweet spot and keep it there, mine was around 92kph.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wouldn't worry about it unless you're full timing. If you're a weekend camper or maybe taking a week's long vacation, you'd be just fine. What's important is the tug must be able to handle the weight (and that's for any brand of all-molded-towable). The only people who think it's a hard tow are those that have towed something else so they can compare. If you've never towed anything in your life, you wouldn't know the difference. The Ventura is a lot like a box utility trailer. Plenty of those on the road.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #4

Ontario
I love the plywood image. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks Donna for your response. I would have no hesitation if I was just going to camp in my province or thereabouts but I want to take some month to 2 month trips though mountains and desert so am concerned about mileage but also wind and hills. I won't be in a hurry though.
Patricia
Old 06-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #6

Name: guy
Trailer: Ventura
Alberta
Have a 72 Ventura 13" and had 2 trip to the Maritime including PEI one towed with a Hyundai 2008 the other with a Santa Fee going via #1 HW from Alberta coming back via Cape Cod and #2 US we had no problem and towing was great keepng speed limit and very decent gas mileage. Just a great little trailer.
Guy
yug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #7

Name: Maggie
Trailer: Ventura
Ontario
I'm new to this site so my timing may be outdated for your purposes.

We have a 1972 model Ventura which we have towed for 250,000 km from Newfoundland and Labrador to Alaska and all parts in-between with no problems.

The front of the body is sloped forward at the middle allowing the trailer to ride so well that you don't notice it is behind you. Ours has the square, boxy, corners and not the more modern rounded corners. We like this feature as it makes it easy to work on the interior and actually gives more usable space.

Our advise is to reactivate the electric brakes if they have been disconnected, or install them if they are not already on the trailer. This greatly increases your towing capacity and your braking ability. It is required by law to have the electric brakes functioning if the trailer is equipped with them.

Happy Trails,
Hobbit Hilton & Crew.
Hobbit Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

Ontario
Smile New purchase

Thanks for your response. I did go ahead and buy a 1975 Ventura and am quite pleased with it. I have work to do including the brakes which have been disconnected. I am assuming that they will need to be replaced and am trying to find someone locally who works on trailers (I live in a small community).
It is good to hear stories of other owners who have had great times with their trailers.

Tags
ventura