Importing a new Oliver into Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Importing a new Oliver into Canada

Are there any Oliver owners who purchased new and imported into Canada. Are there any issues or pitfalls with the trailers not having a CSA sticker. Any information would be appreciated.
David and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Blue View Post
Are there any Oliver owners who purchased new and imported into Canada. Are there any issues or pitfalls with the trailers not having a CSA sticker. Any information would be appreciated.
Dave have you taken a look at the Registrar of imported Vehicles site yet.

I have imported two trailers into Canada both less then 15 years of age so both needed to go through the full RIV registration - one 8 years ago and one earlier this year. A few things to note:

You do not need to pre clear a trailer as you do a car - just show up with all your purchase documents and a Recall Letter from the trailer Manufacture.

The Scamp I imported did have a sticker on it regarding compliance in the US & VIN stamped into the tongue. The Airstream did/does have a plate on it - which is what I believe they are actually looking for not a CSA sticker. The plate on it states is VIN date, date of MFT GVWR, Tire specs, MGD BY and the following statement " This vehicle conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in Effect on the date of the Manufacture.

If you check the RIV site, it does not say anything about a CSA sticker only that "The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label at the time of import/inspection." as well as a "Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)" and a Recall letter.

As I recall the recall letter I got from Scamp also included the phrase that it complied with the safety standards at the time of manufacturing as well.

BTW the Airstream did also have a RIVA sticker on it which some suggest makes the import go smother but the agents at the Blaine crossing did not even look at it and they sure did not see one on the Scamp either. ;-) Had no problems importing either trailer - fast and simple.

When you take the trailer to Canadian Tire for the RIV inspection they will check that all the light lens have the correct DOT numbers on them and are located on the trailer at the correct location and height etc. If you search around on the Canadian DOT site you should find a diagram that shows you the location and lens colours and DOT numbers etc. for trailers. Or at least when I imported the Scamp I was able to find one and checked it against the Scamps lights prior to importing it. If you can find it, it would be worth sending to Oliver and having them confirm the trailer meets those requirements. Suspect strongly that it will.

In the lower mainland the only border crossing you can use to import a trailer is the main crossing at Blain. They have a person on duty that is responsible for clearing all the trailers and cars. I would suggest giving Canada Customs at Blain a call and ask to speak to that person and have them confirm whether or not a US compliance sticker & a recall letter is all you really need for the trailer. I am assuming that Oliver does put a compliance sticker on their trailers?

PM me if you would like any further clarification on how easy the process of importing a trailer actually is. ;-)

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #3

Registry
I forgot to mention that in regards to the recall letter - when I imported the Scamp they took a copy of it at the border & that was that. This year with the Airstream they did not even want it at the border (they only asked if I had one) instead I had to submit the Recall letter directly to RIV (sent scanned image to them via email with the case number) & I had to take it to Canadian Tire at the time of inspection as well.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

British Columbia
Importing Oliver

Thanks' Carol. I did check the RIV list before I posted the query, but didn't find Oliver listed. I did import a Chalet fold down trailer some years ago, and it wasn't an issue but it was used and I had the title docs etc. Although the Cn customs sent me over to the US customs to get a document signed off, hence my caution. I do remember the US customs saying it wasn't a high value trailer and so there was no problem, but there was a comment WRT waiting on the US side for 48 hours to get a clearance. I will call Oliver next week and see if they can provide me a Canadian customer who has gone through the process. Its a hell of a lot of money to spend prior to importation to find there is an issue.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Blue View Post
Thanks' Carol. I did check the RIV list before I posted the query, but didn't find Oliver listed. I did import a Chalet fold down trailer some years ago, and it wasn't an issue but it was used and I had the title docs etc. Although the Cn customs sent me over to the US customs to get a document signed off, hence my caution. I do remember the US customs saying it wasn't a high value trailer and so there was no problem, but there was a comment WRT waiting on the US side for 48 hours to get a clearance. I will call Oliver next week and see if they can provide me a Canadian customer who has gone through the process. Its a hell of a lot of money to spend prior to importation to find there is an issue.
Well things have changed a little. You do not need to go to the US Customs first with a trailer - you do with a car though (anything with an engine). With a car you do need to send documents up to the border ahead of time and wait 48 hours for clearance. Not the case with a trailer.

With the trailer you do not need to send anything ahead of time to the border either the US or Canada side and you simple drive it directly to Canada Customs. There should be no reason for them to send you to the US Customs. Show the Canadian Customs your Bill of Sale and the a original title signed off. You are also suppose to have your Clearance letter from Oliver before hitting the border.

A helpful hint that will speed things up is if you are buying it used make sure you print off the original ad for it. Also print off other ads for the same make of trailer so they know you are not trying to pull the wool over their eyes as to how much you paid for it and to avoid paying to much in taxes etc. With both trailers I had to wait while they went on line and looked at prices.

Most of the fiberglass trailer manufactures are not listed on the RIV list. Its mostly for the bigger manufactures.

I did a quick search and found the Federal trailer Lighting Requirements for you. Listed below the photos is the location of the lights needed based on size and weight of trailer and what the SAE lens code. Perhaps if you share it with Oliver they will confirm their lights meet the code. FYI the light locations and lens were fine on both the Scamp and the Airstream, so would be surprised if the Oliver is any different.

Oh I understand your concerns over it. I have imported a brand new car in addition to the two trailers. The last trailer import was pricer than the Scamp as well as the new car LOL so Yup it would have been a big head banger if it had not been allowed in and registered. The worry about it can be a bit stressful

You should be fine though if Oliver does have a US Compliance sticker, VIN, Weights and Tire stickers on it and they are willing to give you a recall letter.

One other key point. GET the in transit rider insurance from ICBC for it so you are fully covered bringing it home - not just for liability which is the case should you simple purchase a temp permit state side. You may have to make a few calls to ICBC to secure it as I found the local store front agents were not familiar with it. ICBC will want to see a copy of the Bill of Sale with VIN # etc.

What ever you do, do not let anyone try and tell you the trailer is fully insured if its attached to the vehicle .... especially if you do not use ICBC for your FULL vehicle insurance coverages & are using a 3rd party company for the none mandatory ICBC items. Things have changed in recent years here in regards to the trailer being fully covered when attached to the vehicle and its not in our favour.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

Registry
Forgot to add you should call Canada Customs and have them confirm the VIN is ok before buying as well.

A run down on what RIV says in regards to trailers:

Vehicle admissibility

My trailer did not need to be registered in the U.S., why does it have to be inspected in Canada?
Trailers are a prescribed class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act and require an RIV Inspection.
Registration requirements in the U.S. are not equivalent to registration requirements in each individual Canadian province or territory. All trailers less than fifteen years old, including: utility trailers, enclosed cargo trailers, low-chassis trailers, air braked trailers, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, horse/stock trailers, boat trailers, car dollies, portable air compressors, log splitters, wood chippers etc. are regulated by the RIV program.

Are trailers required to enter the RIV program?
Trailers are a prescribed class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act and require an RIV Inspection.
All trailers less than fifteen years old, including: utility trailers, enclosed cargo trailers, low-chassis trailers, air braked trailers, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, horse/stock trailers, boat trailers, car dollies, portable air compressors, log splitters, wood chippers etc. are regulated by the RIV program, require an RIV inspection and are subject to the RIV import fee of $195 + tax.

What do I need to do before attempting to permanently import my trailer into Canada?
Prior to purchasing and permanently importing your trailer into Canada, we strongly recommend the potential importer to contact our office in order to ensure the validity of the vehicle identification number (VIN). For any trailer to be compatible for import into Canada, it must first meet four basic requirements:

1) It must bear a legible, valid, 17-digit VIN that has been issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
2) It must bear a legible U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label, issued by the OEM.
3) It must bear a label, legibly indicating the vehicle's weight ratings (both GVWR and GAWR).
4) It must bear a label, legibly indicating the recommended tire pressures (PSI).

Note: Trailers with a GVWR of 4536kg or more, manufactured after September 1, 2007, must be listed as admissible under Section 11 of the Vehicle Import Compatibility List.
If any of these 4 basic requirements cannot be met, i.e., something is missing or illegible, the trailer will be considered incompatible with Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) and therefore inadmissible for import into Canada.
General

The VIN on my vehicle matches the current registration, title certificate and bill of sale. Why is RIV saying it is invalid?
All admissible vehicles, including all types of trailers, must bear a 17 character alphanumeric sequence, as required by Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 115 – Vehicle Identification Number.
Although the VIN of your vehicle may match all official U.S. documents, and although the trailer manufacturer may have confirmed that the VIN on the vehicle itself is indeed the assigned VIN, this does not mean that the VIN issued complies with U.S. and Canadian federal requirements.
The VIN is composed of the following sections as prescribed by the regulations defined by SAE:
World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI)
Vehicle attributes / model
Check Digit
Model Year
Plant Code
Sequential Number

Prior to purchasing and permanently importing a trailer into Canada, we strongly recommend the potential importer to contact our office in order to ensure the validity of the vehicle identification number (VIN).
Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #7

British Columbia
Importing an Oliver

Thanks again Carol, I will post Oliver's response.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Carol when importing cars and MH's into Canada,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dave have you taken a look at the Registrar of imported Vehicles site yet.

I have imported two trailers into Canada both less then 15 years of age so both needed to go through the full RIV registration - one 8 years ago and one earlier this year. A few things to note:

You do not need to pre clear a trailer as you do a car - just show up with all your purchase documents and a Recall Letter from the trailer Manufacture.

The Scamp I imported did have a sticker on it regarding compliance in the US & VIN stamped into the tongue. The Airstream did/does have a plate on it - which is what I believe they are actually looking for not a CSA sticker. The plate on it states is VIN date, date of MFT GVWR, Tire specs, MGD BY and the following statement " This vehicle conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in Effect on the date of the Manufacture.

If you check the RIV site, it does not say anything about a CSA sticker only that "The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label at the time of import/inspection." as well as a "Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)" and a Recall letter.

As I recall the recall letter I got from Scamp also included the phrase that it complied with the safety standards at the time of manufacturing as well.

BTW the Airstream did also have a RIVA sticker on it which some suggest makes the import go smother but the agents at the Blaine crossing did not even look at it and they sure did not see one on the Scamp either. ;-) Had no problems importing either trailer - fast and simple.

When you take the trailer to Canadian Tire for the RIV inspection they will check that all the light lens have the correct DOT numbers on them and are located on the trailer at the correct location and height etc. If you search around on the Canadian DOT site you should find a diagram that shows you the location and lens colours and DOT numbers etc. for trailers. Or at least when I imported the Scamp I was able to find one and checked it against the Scamps lights prior to importing it. If you can find it, it would be worth sending to Oliver and having them confirm the trailer meets those requirements. Suspect strongly that it will.

In the lower mainland the only border crossing you can use to import a trailer is the main crossing at Blain. They have a person on duty that is responsible for clearing all the trailers and cars. I would suggest giving Canada Customs at Blain a call and ask to speak to that person and have them confirm whether or not a US compliance sticker & a recall letter is all you really need for the trailer. I am assuming that Oliver does put a compliance sticker on their trailers?

PM me if you would like any further clarification on how easy the process of importing a trailer actually is. ;-)

Carol
: I had to have all the pertinent info in X 9 copies of everything and give them all but x 3 copies to the US Border People at 176th St. then 3 days later come and see if I had clearance to take it from them to the Canadian side where I only had to show proof of ownership and pay my Taxes then take what ever to Canadian Tire for Certification. Once approved I could then go ahead and restore or licence said unit or units. But the US side was a bit of a hassle as they do not take phone calls, you had to do this Monday to Friday only no weekends, you have to wait 72 hours before checking in to see if all okay, like I said if a problem arises they do not make phone calls. You go on day 4 and see how you made out and if not right start all over again.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: I had to have all the pertinent info in X 9 copies of everything and give them all but x 3 copies to the US Border People at 176th St. then 3 days later come and see if I had clearance to take it from them to the Canadian side where I only had to show proof of ownership and pay my Taxes then take what ever to Canadian Tire for Certification. Once approved I could then go ahead and restore or licence said unit or units. But the US side was a bit of a hassle as they do not take phone calls, you had to do this Monday to Friday only no weekends, you have to wait 72 hours before checking in to see if all okay, like I said if a problem arises they do not make phone calls. You go on day 4 and see how you made out and if not right start all over again.
Stude
Stude what you describe is the process for cars and anything else with a motor.

As I indicated trailers do not go through the same process and there is no interaction with with US Customs or clearance from them necessary.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Carol all the US border wants on a Trailer is the paper work,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Stude what you describe is the process for cars and anything else with a motor.

As I indicated trailers do not go through the same process and there is no interaction with with US Customs or clearance from them necessary.
: to make sure it is not stolen they still take 72 hours and do not take phone calls and are not open on weekends or holidays.
Then once through after paying your 5% GST fee, you have to take it to Canadian Tire to have it Certified, no one else can do this Certification.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #11

Name: Gowyn
Trailer: Airstream
Ontario
Just got an email from Oliver.

If anyone is interested they will be at the Toronto RV show 1-4 March 2018 with both Ollie models.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver