What type of tow vehicle for Scamp 5th with 3" factory lift? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
What type of tow vehicle for Scamp 5th with 3" factory lift?

We are considering a Scamp 5th wheel. I have seen a few Chevy Colorados but does it make a difference with the 3 inch lift? The current owner drives a Tundra.
KristiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:55 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
lift kit

The 3" lift kit raises the trailer, this allows for more clearance over the bed sides of the truck. It also may require adjusting the hitch higher to level out the trailer. Over the last few years, full sized pick-ups have become taller, especially the four wheel drive models. The lift kits for the 5ers give you more choices for tow vehicles.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Based on the new-design Colorado trucks I've seen, I'd guess they require the 3" lift. They're pretty tall.

But instead of guessing, why don't you call Scamp? Ask for the bed rail height range with and without the lift. Then take a tape measure with you when you shop for a truck.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #4

Registry
Thank you both. We will call Scamp today.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
If you go this route for purchase, you might wish to look into this posting: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post618164

CindyL
Old 11-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

Name: Peter
Iowa
Hi Kristi,

We have had our 19 for about a year and one-half and have enjoyed it greatly. We currently pull it with a 1994 Silverado, which works great.
We are looking to upgrade to a new(er) truck and I would be most interested to know what measurements Scamp provides you with for clearing the side rails. We've done a little bit of shopping for a truck and the new(er) ones certainly do seem to be too high for pulling our fiver.
Thanks,
Peter
Peter S. in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Why don't you take measurements of the current owners vehicle ( Bed sides and trailer clearance ) . That should help you determine which vehicles will work with a Scamp 19 5th wheel.
Buying a vehicle based on a guess and then having to make modifications to both the vehicle and the trailer seems rather foolish IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Kristi, I hope you find a Scamp 19 to look at. Mine has the 3" lift and I tow it with 2013 Tacoma, 6cyl. The "smaller" trucks are not that small any more, so the Scamp lift might become the standard one day, I expect. The Tacoma is a great TV and the Canyon or Colorado should be good match for the Scamp 19 as well.
Scamp will give you the dimensions you need - the height of the bed, the sides and distance from the ball to the truck corner. My User's Manual says 60 in. ball to corner and the rest describes the old style hitch. I installed the new one myself.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Wyoming
Scamp 19 and 2016 ram eco diesel

When I bought my scamp over a year ago, I had a Ford Ranger. Though it pulled it, when heading into headwinds like we have in Wyoming, she just couldn't muster. We went in search of a new TV and found the Ram Eco Diesel and had to adjust my hitch all the way down and was concerned about clearance. But when all said and done, the Scamp fit just fine with the 3" lift and then later I changed the tires from 14" to 15". Have had no problems and now I only know the Scamp is behind me when I look in the mirrror. Not to mention that we get 18-20 MPG. See picture attached. This is with the 14" wheels and tires.

P.S. This is the 4 Wheel Drive Model. Needed in Wyoming.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0041.jpg  
jfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #10

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post
and then later I changed the tires from 14" to 15".
Are you sure you changed tires from 14 to 15"? Original Scamp's tires are 13".
Old 11-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #11

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I guess you have not checked with Scamp or on their web site lately. The 19' comes with 14" tires and we did our homework before buying so that in the future if needed we would have options for a different tow vehicle. That also narrowed down the field for full size trucks for a new tow vehicle. But the Ram Eco Diesel in 4WD fits well under our 2015 Scamp 19" with 3" lift and 14" wheels that have been changed to 15" wheels. Scamp is always changing as other manufacturers do to keep up with the industry and customers requests. We also had a some modifications done and extra goodies added. That is the nice thing with a manufacturer such as Scamp so you get what you want instead of settling for what's on the lot.

Take a look at the Scamp web site and see the changes and improvements they have made. I'm sure you will be impressed.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #12

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
For the 19', 14" wheels were a factory option.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
For the 19', 14" wheels were a factory option.
This is from Scamps website. I was never offered an option, just came with 14" tires standard.

Years ago that was probably the case. Now the come standard with 14". I would highly recommend upgrading to at least 14" wheels and even 15" wheels as it stabilizes the load better and gives you a better load range.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP.PNG  
Old 11-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #14

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Will 14" (or 15) wheels fit 16' scamp without lift kit?
Old 11-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #15

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post
This is from Scamps website. I was never offered an option, just came with 14" tires standard.

Years ago that was probably the case. Now the come standard with 14". I would highly recommend upgrading to at least 14" wheels and even 15" wheels as it stabilizes the load better and gives you a better load range.
My Scamp is a 1999. Then I believe that 13's were standard. Things inevitably change in 17 years!

My Scamp has 14" and I have considered upgrading to 15's.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #16

Wyoming
Quote:
Will 14" (or 15) wheels fit 16' scamp without lift kit?
I think you would need to get the measurements of a 14" or 15" tire you plan to use and then measure your wheel well to determine if you have the clearance. That is what I did and found to have enough room. With out the lift, it may be tricky.

I took the existing 14" wheel and tire, measured it and then got the measurements of the tire and wheel I wanted to put on and then measured from the center of the hub with a string in an arc to see how much clearance I had and figuring the travel distance up and down to make sure I had enough room. Try this and it should give you a good idea if it will work or not.

I wanted to go with 16" tires but had the 15"s so that is what I worked with.
It only added about 3/4" to the height difference but every little bit helps. Maybe when I wear out the 15"s, I will go with 16"s.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S. in Iowa View Post
Hi Kristi,

We have had our 19 for about a year and one-half and have enjoyed it greatly. We currently pull it with a 1994 Silverado, which works great.
We are looking to upgrade to a new(er) truck and I would be most interested to know what measurements Scamp provides you with for clearing the side rails. We've done a little bit of shopping for a truck and the new(er) ones certainly do seem to be too high for pulling our fiver.
Thanks,
Peter
My husband called Scamp. According to Scamp only 3 trucks will not work: Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and a Ford truck that I can't remember. They also said that as long as the height from ground to the top of the truck side does not exceed 58" it will work.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #18

Wyoming
Good to know. The small trucks do ok but we were looking for a little more hp and better mileage. We did take a tape measure with us and had the requirements needed for hitch and trailer. Had my heart set on a Toyota Tacoma but found the ECO diesel in a full size new for less than the Toyota and ended up with more power, more room and better mileage. In my opinion a diesel is the only way to go but then some people just don't like them. The bed of my Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 is about 56". Happy hunting for your new TV.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:06 AM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
..... and a Ford truck that I can't remember.
Ford Explorer Sport Trac perhaps?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #20
PBK

Name: Paul
California
Hello jfleming,

I'm about to purchase a Scamp 19 and have realized I'll have some clearance issues with truck (a 2015 Ram 1500 ED 4x4) with the Scamp in stock form. It would appear that you have it all figured out with your ED. Would you mind if picked your brain about your trailer/hitch set-up?
PBK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp