Oliver Regrets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Oliver Regrets?

Just curious, is there anyone who purchased an Oliver, and regrets not purchasing a less expensive TT? I would assume the answer is no, but just curious. I have looked online at Escapes, but when I get ready, I am definitely leaning towards an Ollie.
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
When you put in good research to determine what will work best for you, the decision you end up making will be the right one. I doubt you would find many Oliver owners who would say they wish they had bought an Escape, and at the same time you would not find many Escape owners that would say they wished they had have spent more money and got an Oliver.

They are both great trailers in their own rights.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I'm very happy with our Oliver, but I will say that there is a bit of mystic with them that may not quite hold up in every way.

We had a toy hauler before the Ollie. It was the last of a series of poorly built trailers, for us. Poorly built, poorly insulated and drafty. It was about the same length and weight as the Ollie, but much harder to tow. It was uncomfortable and was trying to fall apart around us. I've camped all my life and am at a point where I don't want to sleep on the ground or deal with a tent. And I want a trailer instead of a camper on the truck. On one trip we'll be in Death Valley at 110 degrees and then we'll be at 8,500' in the snow at Bristlecone Pines.

I've done more work than most folks do on our Ollie and it keeps getting better. Most everything I've done should be considered an upgrade instead of a repair.

I'm confident we will never have a nicer trailer and the size is perfect for either longer term use, extended trips, weekends away or movie nights in the garage. It is accepted at Yosemite and the Grand Canyon where size is, or can be, restricted. It tows wonderfully and is very comfortable. It can be used in any weather. Oliver is gradually evolving by adding little improvements over time.

But, it was very expensive to buy and I wonder, sometimes if the money could have been better spent. Or if I might not need to insure a cheaper trailer, or if I might not need to worry about damaging an old sticky. A lot of fun can be had with a simple old trailer too, and if they are not fiberglass, they can be very cheap. But, I did not want any more wooden cabinets that are always trying to fall apart or just have a picture of wood glued onto a pressboard box. I don't need a wood interior to make me feel warm, but I want a large fridge, real insulation and a real heating system so we can camp for longer periods in hot or cold weather and be fine.

We just got back from a trip to Florida from Nevada, via Tennessee and Alabama. Then, we threw in a trip up to the Oregon coast and the Lava Beds in Northern CA, just for the fun of it.

It's probably best to graduate to an Oliver, based on your experience and needs, over time with tents or other situations. That way you really know what works and what you need. I like to be out in the wild, but I want conveniences too, a comfortable place to sleep, a good fridge, good meals and the ability to stop wherever we want. I tend to "wing-it" on trips and we do very little planning. A trailer is the most versatile and easiest way to travel, I think. We became experts at finding rest stops, picnic areas, and all sorts of easy places to stop when tired and do it in ways that would never work with a tent.

Everything is a compromise. An Oliver definitely works, and works well, if it matches your travel style. It allows you to think about the adventure, instead of all the logistics of where you might be able to stop, if it will fit in the space or deal with the weather or not get hassled at a rest stop, etc, etc, etc. You can go regardless of the weather and always be comfortable.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Thanks for replies!
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2019 Bigfoot 25 foot rear twin
Maine
Understand everything you say except "not being hassled at a rest stop".
Bob in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Maine View Post
Understand everything you say except "not being hassled at a rest stop".
Trailers are great for stopping at rest stops because there is no evidence that you've been there for five minutes or 18 hours. If you try to spend 16-24 hours at a rest stop with a tent, or a pickup with a shell, you'll likely bring attention to yourself and get told to move along. We found some excellent ones and stayed all afternoon and overnight. Texas even posts signs that say not to set up a tent, but trailers are not mentioned. You can even lock yourself in and rest peacefully all night if you wish.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #7

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 refurbished Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Trailers are great for stopping at rest stops because there is no evidence that you've been there for five minutes or 18 hours. If you try to spend 16-24 hours at a rest stop with a tent, or a pickup with a shell, you'll likely bring attention to yourself and get told to move along. We found some excellent ones and stayed all afternoon and overnight. Texas even posts signs that say not to set up a tent, but trailers are not mentioned. You can even lock yourself in and rest peacefully all night if you wish.
Unless a noisy semi idles next to you? Some states have a time limit posted, but I never saw or heard about enforcement.
Scott Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
No Oliver regrets here. Money well spent. Quality product and outstanding support from the company and Oliver family.

Rest stops: Texas has stops just inside the state on the interstates that welcome overnight parking. Amarillo and Texarkana are two we’ve stayed overnight at. Also, on I-10 in Louisiana there is the Atchefalaya rest stop. 24 hour security and RV parking far from the truck parking. Just some freeway noise. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #9

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Thomson View Post
Unless a noisy semi idles next to you? Some states have a time limit posted, but I never saw or heard about enforcement.
The noise is common if you simply pull off at a "rest stop" or "brake check area" and park with the trucks. But there are also Picnic Areas and more remote rest stops where this is not a problem. I don't like parking next to trucks or taking a long truck parking spot that they might need.

If I just want to stretch my legs and let the dog out for a minute, an area filled with trucks is fine. If I want to spend the night, an out of the way picnic area is perfect. We had one all to ourselves all afternoon and all night in Texas. They also have bar-b-ques and covered tables. New Mexico has some excellent places that are far too big to fill up with trucks and Arkansas had the nicest rest area I have ever seen. We stayed there for a while. Out in the forest away from the road, extremely well kept with a huge bathroom facility and interactive map system, lots of shade and forested. An occasional car came through and they cut the grass in the morning with a wave as they went by.

I think they all have a time limit, but the key here is flying below the radar. Trailers are excellent for that.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
The Oliver is high on my list of TT because of quality, peace-of-mind and resale value. If you can afford it, it just makes more sense over other manufacturers.
StoicJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #11

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicJim View Post
The Oliver is high on my list of TT because of quality, peace-of-mind and resale value. If you can afford it, it just makes more sense over other manufacturers.
Pics and a report when you get it
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #12

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16
Idaho
Just curious-why does a pickup with a shell draw attention to itself at a rest stop more so than a travel trailer?
JRSeguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSeguin View Post
Just curious-why does a pickup with a shell draw attention to itself at a rest stop more so than a travel trailer?
Some of the rest stops get a problem with people living at them, returning night after night. Campers on trucks are more common among transient workers in the construction trades, of course vans also draw the same attention for the same reason. It does not mean they are low life types, just that they use the same local place each night which is not what the rest stop was designed for.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #14

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16
Idaho
Interesting. I am new at this (having a travel trailer instead of tent camping in a campground or backcountry) and it is a whole different world out there! Thanks for the insight. Guess I am glad I got the trailer!
JRSeguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #15

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSeguin View Post
Because camping in a shell means, usually, that some stuff has to be removed to get in if you want to sleep in the back. Chairs or a box or a folding table or an ice chest, for instance. These things might be sitting out as you stay there to rest, making it look like someone is camping there. It's also more likely to have lights visible from inside the shell at night than a trailer with closed curtains.

The trailer simply requires you to open the door, step in and close the door behind you. You can fix lunch or sit down or sleep with no changes outside. Nobody knows if you've been there for five minutes or ten hours.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #16

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Well designed and built fiberglass trailers are about the easiest trailers to maintain. Now that the economy is better, there are more choices available for buyers who want a fiberglass travel trailer.

I understand that the Oliver brothers had Casita Travel Trailers they used and liked but, wanted features that Casita was not willing to provide. Since Oliver had experience in building other fiberglass products, they decided to make a fiberglass trailer with the features they wanted. During the financial crisis around 2008, Oliver stopped trailer production and concentrated on their other lines. I've spoken with Oliver owners and seen their trailers. It's easy to see the Casita influence. Because Oliver builds more into their fiberglass trailers, those trailers are heavier than Casita or Scamp trailers. The tow vehicle for an Oliver must have at least a 5,000# tow rating for Oliver's base model (and more would be better). I had no trouble towing the 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer with the 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited minivan I had ordered with the factory tow package (I did upgrade to a Class 3 hitch) but, that was because my Casita's actual weight was < 2,500#. Fully loaded, my Casita was still under 3,000#. A base Oliver is heavier enough to need more tow capacity than "standard" minivan-like vehicles can provide. On the Oliver Elite II (tandem axle) I would want a 10,000# rated tow vehicle (I like having a generous safety margin). Customer service and support for Oliver owners is legendary too. My advice, look at Oliver, Casita, Scamp, Escape and Big Foot fiberglass trailers. It will be easy to see the quality that Oliver has engineered and built into their trailers which of course, is why an Oliver will cost more. Oliver (and perhaps other builders?) do have factory tours. Spend a few dollars traveling and take some factory tours! My 2010 Casita left the factory at ~ $18,500 (August, 2010). Those days are gone and, you will be spending $20,000 or more (possibly a LOT more). Well made fiberglass trailers will be serviceable for DECADES with reasonable care. Do your homework and buy there right trailer first! In the long run, you'll save.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver