Equalizer Bars - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Equalizer Bars

With a pending 3/4 or 1 ton tow vehicle, pulling a 25 ft Bigfoot, any need for equalizer and sway bar set up?

I have read everything from definitely YES to "couldn't wait to get rid of them."

I am leaning toward just equalizer bars to relieve some of the tongue weight and as I describe it "balance two vehicles as one."

Thoughts?

Thank you
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've always used equalizer bars to keep everything level, if you find things running level once connected you don't really need them. My unit would run at a bad angle without them. I've never found a need for a sway bar but I am careful about balancing the load.

Dan
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Weight Distribution hitches need only to be used if the tongue weight is great enough to cause the back of the tow vehicle to go too low.

Anti-sway bars only mask real problems. Sway occurs at some speed and the trick is to keep the trailer weight distribution such that the sway speed is way above driving speed. Many trailer towers tow at around 55 to 60 mph which is usually well below sway speed.

Understand that ball and socket hitch was designed for freedom of movement and WDHs and Anti-sway bars can only inhibit that movement.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Anti-sway bars only mask real problems.
Obviously this is opinion not fact, so read all you can and make your own decision.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't drive at night, if I can help it, so my lights can point anywhere they like. I use a weight distribution hitch to distribute weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the trailer axle.
My vehicle is four-wheel-drive, but predominately front wheel drive, so having the front axle unweighted is not good for handling or traction.
The WDH improves handling immensely.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
When towing my ~8,000 boat (and trailer, and stuff) with my '11 F-250 I needed a WDH as the truck's maximum tongue weight w/o a WDH was 600 pounds.

Since my F-250 was totaled by hail (a horrible death) I got a '17 F-350 that is supposed to handle 1,500 pounds tongue weight w/o a WDH. I'm looking forward to skipping (and selling) the WDH but I have no experience yet. Therefore I have no good advice.

You will generally find a sticker on the hitch describing it's limits.

I was looking for a replacement F-250 this past August and found a new '17 F-350 without the stuff that drives them to $60K or even $80K. I'm hoping that having a one-ton will simplify my towing.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Obviously this is opinion not fact, so read all you can and make your own decision.

I happen to disagree with your statement. I believe it closer to fact than anything else. But of course you can believe in the buggy man or anything else you want and do as you like. It would be nice if you pick the place to crash where there's nobody around to hurt.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Registry
Anti-Sway Bar???

1. What is sway? It's when the trailer will move side to side in ever increasing swings.

2. What causes sway? Several thing the towing dynamics. The biggest problem is speed and front to back trailer weight distribution.

3. How is sway prevented? Insure that the weight in front other trailer axle is at least 60% of the total weight, with 40% behind the axle.

4. How does an anti-sway bar stop sway. It restricts the free movement of the ball to trailer hitch.

5. Does an anti-sway prevent sway? It might reduce the side to side movement, but if there's a tendency to sway without the anti-sway bar the problem has NOT been fixed. As such the problem is masked.

6. How is masking sway problem dangerous? At some point in speed and road conditions side to side traction can be lost and the trailer start skidding side to side. Since the joint movement is restricted the tow vehicle can be pulled around with the trailer even more than with no restriction. The whole can easily end up being on it side or upside down.

Hopefully many of you will be able to understand this and know why I say that an anti-sway bar "MASKS" a real problem.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I'll ignore the snark and point out that you seem to be assuming those who choose to use an anti-sway bar are unable to properly configure their rigs and are "masking" some inherent instability. This is condescending and just plain wrong. Many of us use the bar as an extra aid in the event of an unforeseen event. In addition it tends to dampen the sideways push caused by passing semis, which makes for a more relaxed driving experience. I think everyone here recognizes this annoyance is unrelated to the sway caused by improper set up. Again, I encourage OP to do some research.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I'll ignore the snark and point out that you seem to be assuming those who choose to use an anti-sway bar are unable to properly configure their rigs and are "masking" some inherent instability. This is condescending and just plain wrong. Many of us use the bar as an extra aid in the event of an unforeseen event. In addition it tends to dampen the sideways push caused by passing semis, which makes for a more relaxed driving experience. I think everyone here recognizes this annoyance is unrelated to the sway caused by improper set up. Again, I encourage OP to do some research.
Like I said Believe what you like.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
No expert to say the least, and I am going to tow long distance next summer. From what I have read, the weight distribution hitches will help correct a problem concerning your tow capacity of vehicle and total weight of Trailer and any weight placed behind the rear axle of your tow vehicle and also the two bars that go back onto the frame will have a "Friction" plate to help with the sway of the trailer.

The Sway bar controller looks somewhat like a shock absorber and attaches from the little side ball on the hitch back to the frame and will stop sway only.
Some of these sway Bar controllers can be adjusted to what ever trailer weight your pulling.

I feel the 6000 lb tow capacity of my Tow Vehicle will not give any sag at the hitch when hooked up to the 3200 lb. Casita, so I plan to just go with the Sway Bar controller.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Equalizer Bars

WDH does not correct a "problem" with the towing capacity of a vehicle. It corrects rear axle overload by shifting some of the tongue weight to the front axle and some to the trailer axle(s). The resulting set-up still needs to stay within all respective GVWR's, GAWR's, and the GCWR. Since WDH adds a fair bit of weight of its own, it's not a solution for an overweight towing situation. It restores front-rear balance for safe steering, braking, and handling, it levels out the rig for stability, and it prevents excessive wear on the rear suspension and tires from a heavy tongue load. WDH requires the receiver and frames be engineered and rated for the additional stresses.

Some WDH systems include integrated sway control; some do not. If not, you can add a separate sway control device if desired.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I don’t use either but have had other trailers that needed and I used a wdh. Towing since 1962 I’ve never had any sway. One trailer I had came with the sway thing so I used it but felt that it wasn’t needed. Since my trailer id an Escape19 and I tow with a Ram 1500 I neither need nor use a wdh or sway thing. My truck drops an inch when hitch making the whole package level. Tows wonderfully. Do what you feel you gotta do.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #14

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
In the end, I agree with Shelby....as an extra piece of assurance and relief on the back end of the truck. WD bars it is.

And...you wonder why people unsubscribe to some sites.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
my '02 F250 can easily tow my escape 21 at 4200 lbs or whatever, without any WDH... putting 500 or 600 lbs in hte back of that truck and the factory overload leaf helper spring doesn't even touch its brackets. I think the truck rides level when it has about 1000 lbs in back (btw, its a 8' long bed). factory says WDH recommended above 6500 lb trailer, max 12500 lb trailer, max 2000 lb payload in truck

the 7.3 turbodiesel gets 13-15 MPG towing, no matter how much junk I'm carrying
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #16

Registry
If you really think that anti-sway bars and wdh hitches are good safety item, why aren't required in at least one State?
Old 12-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #17

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
I tow a 25 foot Bigfoot with a Chevy 2500 diesel. I suggest that you weigh your vehicle and trailer when you take delivery. My Bigfoot has a lot of tongue weight, several hundred pounds of which are redistributed to the front tires of my truck and to the trailer when using my Equalizer hitch. Tows fine without the hitch, but I prefer to have that weight back on the front tires.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If you really think that anti-sway bars and wdh hitches are good safety item, why aren't required in at least one State?

I have no clue why you are so invested in trying to convince people that they shouldn't use a WDH or sway bars. What's it to you?

If it works for those of us that use them and if we feel it's worth the money, what's your problem?
Old 12-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have no clue why you are so invested in trying to convince people that they shouldn't use a WDH or sway bars. What's it to you?

If it works for those of us that use them and if we feel it's worth the money, what's your problem?

I can ask you the same question. Safety and equipement wear and tear are concern. SO WHAT IT TO YOU WHAT I THINK OR TRY TO CONVIENCE SOMEBODY?
Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW, on my 2010 F150, a WDH is required for tongue weight above 500 pounds.

Chart is on page 29.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...0RVTrailer.pdf

I would suggest you look for a similar manufacturer's document for your year and model truck.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot