scamp mod to front dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Name: carrie
Trailer: Cadet
New York
scamp mod to front dinette

Hi,
I am looking at various small, 13' campers.
Basically I want a two dinette situation, rather than front bunks or a bathroom, harder to find than I thought.

I can see how to do this easily with burro, uhaul, and Some trilliums. But what about the scamp, has anyone done this, and if so did it take lots of skill?

otherwise, I am Looking for a two dinette 13' under $5000
cheerio
mscarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
usually the 13's have a rear dinette and front couch that people turn into a front dinette. You might look into doing it yourself and you will find more trailers that way...or hire someone to do the work.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Toodlie-doo

The Scamp Factory will sell you one. It's a Deluxe 13, meaning it has an all wooden interior. The only 13 that factory will put front dinette in. But it's pricier than $5000.

I once told the factory they are missing out as I know they could sell quite if they offered a front dinette option in the Standard model. I would have bought one but as it was I settled for the couch and have never made the modification, although I have thought about it. That would be for the last 14 years, I'm still pondering.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Lots have people have modified the 13' Scamp front bunks to a Front Dinette. Use the search function on this page and use the bottom option on the drop down list (google) for the search and you will find lots of different approaches to doing it.

To get you started here is one called Scamp 13' Front Dinette Addition
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Scamp finally made the bed bigger and added jalousie windows. Maybe a front dinette in the standard won't be too far off. Had those been around when I was looking, I'd own one now. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #6

New York
thank you all,
I gues the 1st scamp I saw had that configuration, little did I know how rare it was! should have jumped on it. now I would! trillium may be easier to mod. we shall see!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscarried View Post
thank you all,
I gues the 1st scamp I saw had that configuration, little did I know how rare it was! should have jumped on it. now I would! trillium may be easier to mod. we shall see!
Trilliums all come with Jalousie or louvered windows. Here in the northeast public campgrounds don't have electrical hookups (i.e. No AC) so being able to leave the windows open in the rain is a bonus. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #8

New York
great point! and I will be boondocking, so that is helpful to hear!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here is a front dinette mod on a Scamp13, below that, one done to a Trillium. These are mods done with a simple approach. pretty much the same approach for both trailers except for accommodating the A/C installation on the Scamp.
BTW, the last picture shows the addition of window maxx vents which allows open windows without the complexity or the "Red Rider" syndrome which comes with jalousie windows.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 018.jpg   trillium unfinished 018.jpg  

sm1.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you find a trailer in great shape and right layout don't rule it out just because it doesnt have Jalousie windows though. I simple fix that will allow you to keep sliding windows open in the rain is to add Window/Maxx Vents to your rear side sliders. They work well & probable one of the best additions I have made to my trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscarried View Post
But what about the scamp, has anyone done this, and if so did it take lots of skill?
It all depends on the year I believe. On earlier models the metal for the kitchen floor goes straight across. On later models there is a notch that goes forward to allow for the portapotti to be stored underneath.

The latter is an easier mod.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
77 Scamp the floor is raised where you see seats in those pictures. And is level with main floor where you see the table.

Not sure what years do it which way. But on mine that elevated floor is part of the frame so if I want front dinette then the seats have to accommodate those two raised sections in either of the front corners.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
77 Scamp the floor is raised where you see seats in those pictures. And is level with main floor where you see the table.

Not sure what years do it which way. But on mine that elevated floor is part of the frame so if I want front dinette then the seats have to accommodate those two raised sections in either of the front corners.
I've had Scamps as early as 1973 (71 being the first year they were made) and they were all like the one pictured in my previous post, which was a 1978... AFAIR.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I've had Scamps as early as 1973 (71 being the first year they were made) and they were all like the one pictured in my previous post, which was a 1978... AFAIR.
I'm getting ready to pull the front couch. Really giving some thought to what is going back in. Dinette with drop table might be really nice. Still sleep 3 but table always available for just the two of us.

Not sure I want to lose the storage spot for a porta pottie under the middle of the couch is the only reason I hesitate. Well that and it's a bunch of work to do a nice dinette such as you did. Work and Recreation in same vehicle seem something of a contradiction.

Just putting the couch back is less work, nice to have a table.... Hmm.

Giving some thought to putting an inverter on street side riser under couch so I can have a single dedicated 110 volt plug running off of the battery.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #15

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Front Dinette is SO Much better,

Its worth the effort. It also meant I could get a super comfortable mattress for the bed because now the bed is permenant. You also get MORE storage underneath the benches and also under the bed.

Here s a link to my renovation:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...n-49478-3.html
Attached Images

KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #16

New York
Don't rule out the toilet chair mod. You can even have two for a dinette : )
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #17

New York
That looks great Kevin Scamps , all these front dinettes are an inspiration!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #18

Michigan
On the full time bed mattress, I saw a custom ordered normal mattress on rear dinette bed that had seam that allowed ends to be folded up easily for access to storage under seats. Normal home bed mattress but in three connected sections.

One can sleep on those cushions, comfort wise they are not the greatest, beat the heck out of on a backpacking pad on the ground in a tent by a lot but there is room for improvement no doubt.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Not sure I want to lose the storage spot for a porta pottie under the middle of the couch is the only reason I hesitate.
Roger,

That's why this mod has been on my "maybe list" for some 10 years or better. I don't store the PP under the couch but rather under the permanent rear bed. I do have other things stored under the couch and not sure where I'd put them if I did the mod.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #20

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Roger,

That's why this mod has been on my "maybe list" for some 10 years or better. I don't store the PP under the couch but rather under the permanent rear bed. I do have other things stored under the couch and not sure where I'd put them if I did the mod.
What you do is raise the bench several inches and gain a bunch more storage on each side. Mine went up about 3 inches and easily could have done more, if storage was an issue.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp