V6 versus v8 hauling 16' scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
V6 versus v8 hauling 16' scamp

Hey everyone,

We are looking for a Toyota 4runner with a v8 to haul our scamp. Unfortunately, finding a decent used one is tough. The ones in our price and mileage range are few. There are quite a few more however, if we add v6 versions to our search. Are we foolish to consider a v6 with regards to the weight on the transmission.

I'm not a car person, so I'm sorry in advance. We are in a rush to get something soon as our camper is waiting on the driveway of the previous owners. We really want to get it home here, but only with a vehicle that can actually solve our towing needs.

Thanks!
andywickstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Scamp 16

I have the Toyota FJ Cruiser which is the same as your 4Runner only different body. The v6 does very well towing no problems. Our Scamp is rather heavy aprox. 2600lb. Our mpg is about 14-15 towing and only 18 not. Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I towed my Casita 16' with a Chrysler Town & Country V6 no problem. Now I have a new Scamp that I plan on towing with it. I did add a weight distribution hitch though. I like it better with that. If you have a 16' deluxe it is a lot heavier than a standard so make sure your vehicle is rated for the unit.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Towed a Scamp 5r with a 2003 Chevy Extended Cab V6 with absolutely no problem.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I don't know anything about the Toyota (except my old Corolla) but I do have an opinion on the V6 vs. V8 debate. I own an older Ford F150 with the small V8 and like it a lot. I have had friends with similar Ford trucks with the V6. Mine is still going strong, and theirs have died (major engine issues) or been traded off. When we compared mileage theirs was not any better than mine. I have a theory that a certain amount of “grunt” is required to do the job (move a truck, tow, etc.). A smaller engine might do OK but it will be working harder than a larger (within reason) engine. If I was primarily looking for a tow rig I would tend toward the larger engine. If it was a daily driver that was only going to occasionally tow I might more seriously consider the smaller engine.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #6

Illinois
Do you think a 4runner v6 or Nissan Xterra would be okay? Our Scamp is not a Deluxe, so I guess that means it's a little lighter? Some suggestions for Mercedes and Cayennes are nice, but wayyy outside my price range. I like the dependability and resale of Toyota, but Nissan and others might suffice. I love input from everyone - really appreciated! I'm going to do some wheel base research to just see how we'd be doing with a 4runner or similar...
Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #7

Name: Frank
California
I am towing my 16' Scamp with a Rav 4 V6 and I get 18 MPG. My tow rating on the Rav 4 is 3000#. I use a Harbor Freight weight distributing hitch.
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

Illinois
That's sort of our thinking, TW. Basically, we are towing our Scamp out west, parking it for some time, then moving it to another area a while later, parking it for a while, etc. Day to day pulling is not that much - it's the trips where we are changing locations, going through the mountains, etc, where I would worry, I guess. Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #9

Name: Frank
California
We have towed our 16' Scamp over the mountains going from Ca(Oakland) to Or(Portland) and the mountains going from Ca(Oakland) to Ar(Quartzsite) with no problems at all. We averaged 18MPG
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The tow rating for my 2008 RAV4 V6 is 3,500# ( not 3,000# ). Tongue weight is 350#.
For 2013 the tow rating drops to 1,500# and the six is not available.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Towed a Scamp 5r with a 2003 Chevy Extended Cab V6 with absolutely no problem.
What length bed did your Chevy have? I have a 2014 short bed I am planning on pulling our 5r with when the new hitch arrives from Scamp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I pick a tow by the trailer rating, not # of cylinders, and try to stay 25% or so above the trailer fully loaded weight.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #13

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
The longest trip I took with my 16' Scamp SD with bath, dual propane tanks and a full water tank was about 4000 miles with my 07 Tacoma 4cyl.
I averaged 22mpg on the trip which was from my home in the Mountains of Central California through the Rocky Mountains, the Tetons, Yellowstone and home the long way.
The only time I was really slowed down was going west over Teton Pass.
It's the longest, steepest grade I have ever traveled.

The V6 will do well.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
V6 versus v8 hauling 16' scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
What length bed did your Chevy have? I have a 2014 short bed I am planning on pulling our 5r with when the new hitch arrives from Scamp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

You will be cutting it pretty close. You'll definitely have to shut the tailgate before backing up all the way to hitch up. With a 6.5' bed on the titan, I still had to lengthen the hitch on the camper by about 8" to turn 90* with decent clearance. As an added bonus, I can hitch up with the tailgate down.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Andy, I know nothing about 4 Runners but I can't imagine you'd have any problem power wise towing with a 6 cylinder. We have towed with a 4 cylinder for 7 years and not had a single issue towing all over North America.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Andy. Norm has the key info. As the chart below shows the 4 Runner V6 has the power but that's where the good news ends. Stability when towing is the challenge with these vehicles.

Also see that the v/8 vehicles are not much different than the V6's when it comes to towing abilities/performance. That is why many forum members are having so much success with smaller SUV's.

PS.... We often get asked by folks how our V6 Infiniti can tow our trailer. I explain we have power to spare.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Good day Andy. Norm has the key info. As the chart below shows the 4 Runner V6 has the power but that's where the good news ends. Stability when towing is the challenge with these vehicles.

Also see that the v/8 vehicles are not much different than the V6's when it comes to towing abilities/performance. That is why many forum members are having so much success with smaller SUV's.

PS.... We often get asked by folks how our V6 Infiniti can tow our trailer. I explain we have power to spare.
Would have been nice if they had posted more information for each of the vehicles, as 0-60 mph times do not tell the whole story with respect to whether a vehicle is or is not a good tug.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #18

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I tow my Scamp 5er with a Colorado Inline 5 cylinder. It does great. V6 should do perfectly fine. Remember V8 will suck more gas usually depending on the vehicles.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Would have been nice if they had posted more information for each of the vehicles, as 0-60 mph times do not tell the whole story with respect to whether a vehicle is or is not a good tug.
Very, very true. There are many factors that determine tow vehicle performance, reliability, and prowess. More research for any particular vehicle is always an excellent idea. So many folks fall into the trap of just using the "Tow Rating" as a means for purchasing a vehicle.

When you think about it wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturer supplied more information which led them to selecting the tow rating number.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I tow my 13 foot Scamp and my 17 foot Boston Whaler boat with my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with Automatic, 3.5 liter V6. You will have no issues towing with Nissans V6 newer than mine. After 2000 they only got better more power and torque. Mine is 240 HP with the automatic, it tows up mountain passes with ease. My Pathfinder is rated for a 5000 lb tow with the automatic and I think 3500 lb with the stick. The X-Terra is built on the truck Chassis and started with a slightly lower HP but the newer they got the more power Nissan built into them.

The 6 cylinder Toyota will do fine there isn't as big a difference between the 6 and the small v-8 but there is a huge difference in resale price. People don't just let go of them since they paid such a high premium to get one.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp