Need Portable A/C recommendations the smaller the better - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700 SGH
CO
Need Portable A/C recommendations the smaller the better

HI Everyone,

I am happy to say that I am the new proud owner of that great 1979 Boler 1700 SGH that was in mint condition for sale on this site (thanks to John and his sweet wife Cathie, so happy, I can't stand it). I am just wondering if anyone has had any luck with super small portable A/C until that could cool the interior of the unit so that it would be okay to leave my pup in the camper.

Thanks so much,
Fiberglass Camper Newbie - Ann Marie
FGCNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Small Portable Air Conditioner

Right now I'm looking for the same thing and found someone on you-tube that installed this unit in their f.g. trailer. I like the idea that it just plugs in to a regular socket, the noisy part is outside, and don't have to make any big holes in my trailer, etc.

I looked at the regular portable ones and read the reviews. Not very efficient, but certainly a lot less money. There are single and two hose types, where the two hose ones work better.

This Costco advertisement and price is in Canadian dollars.

Let us know what you end up with.

https://www.costco.ca/Forest-Air-Min...oDjUYtEXmEmeNu
Save
Save
Save
Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Portable A/C

Do what I did in our Boler 1300. Roll around portable upright room unit and vent the exhaust out the window( ours above stove)
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Portable AC

After several years of having a portable AC in our camper, I removed it as it took up so much floor space and is rather in-efficient. I finally installed a proper Fantastic Fan up top and still want to build in a window unit somehow.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Right now I'm looking for the same thing and found someone on you-tube that installed this unit in their f.g. trailer. I like the idea that it just plugs in to a regular socket, the noisy part is outside, and don't have to make any big holes in my trailer, etc.

I looked at the regular portable ones and read the reviews. Not very efficient, but certainly a lot less money. There are single and two hose types, where the two hose ones work better.

This Costco advertisement and price is in Canadian dollars.

Let us know what you end up with.

https://www.costco.ca/Forest-Air-Min...oDjUYtEXmEmeNu
Save
Save
Save
Reviews on that mini split unit are not favorable, but I really like the concept.

I tried a portable AC last summer. It drew air in at two side grilles, and blew hot exhaust through a hose to outside (out a window). Big problem: the air pumped out of the trailer must be replaced by air drawn into the trailer, thus it sucked hot air back in as fast as it pumped it out! Better to have a dual-hose unit for proper breathing of the unit. Live and learn.

Most economical are the common window AC units. If you can find a place for it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #6

Name: Gene
Trailer: Airstream
Florida
For my teardrop, I just took the smallest window mount unit I could find and put it in a housing (at first simply made from a styrofoam cooler with a hole cut for the AC, but then the more permanent version made from plywood with some streamlining) sitting over the roof vent and then reversed the DC leads to the roof fan so it blew down instead of out
ai4kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #7

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
There is a very small one for our little trailers that is starting to make its appearance.
Does somebody know, Noria?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cool-redefined
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
The Noria has been mentioned before. It's a 5K BTU unit, and might be sufficient for the smaller trailers - 13 to 16 feet or so. Definitely not for a larger one like my 19. They mention in their FAQ that it isn't compatible with an RV without an "adapter" but I think they are assuming 12V. There's no need for an adapter, just use a 120V outlet.

Of course, all this is moot until it's available, projected 2018.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
My sister had a ClimateRight heat pump ( AC & heater) that sat outside her teardrop with air piped into the trailer. They come in 2.5K and 5K BTU. Not cheap but does not take interior space. I decided to go with a conventional window mount 5K AC in my Scamp since it fits in the rear window without any modifications and I just made a platform support from the bumper to hold it. It's a bit of pain to set up and remove but we mostly try to avoid going where it is needed.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:31 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
There is a very small one for our little trailers that is starting to make its appearance.
Does somebody know, Noria?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cool-redefined
It was a well funded project and it is still active but they have moved out the delivery date a number of times now. So no telling at this point in time when or even if it will be for sale. But I certainly hope it becomes available. I have been drooling over it since they first put it up on kickstarter.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:44 AM   #11

Name: Gene
Trailer: Airstream
Florida
I've often wondered how difficult would it be to make a small 12 volt mini-split out of an automotive AC and a 12-volt motor?
ai4kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
They are saying the Noria won't handle the action of an rv in motion. Not good. Keep an eye on Zero Breeze. It may become a reality in a couple of years. Their crowd funding reached it's target last year. Who knows. Fantastic Fan works for us but we avoid July and August any more.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #13

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Based on the specifications, the Zero Breeze requires 12 volt 12.5 amps to run. Just hard-wire it into a 12 volt circuit and you are good to go.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I second the floor model stand up unit vented to a window. We also have a 17' and just got back from a trip where the temperatures varied from 24 to 42! (75-107 F !) It wasn't super cool during the mid day heat but certainly better than the outside temp. And at nights when the temp didn't drop that much, the cool air blowing on us definitely made it easier to sleep. We also have an electric cooler that couldn't keep up outside. So we positioned it in front of the A/C and it made the beer MUCH easier to drink :P
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #15

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Climax DC Inverter Compressor A/C VS12

Uses a lot less power. Soft start. Smart thinking. Dual hose. No drain hose. Remote. Also dehumidifies. 12,000 BTU 7 yr warranty.

A bit rich at $999 US. Wasn't able to find it for sale in Canada.

What do you think?

For some reason I can not get the copy and paste to work, so you'll have to go to:

Climax Air | DC Inverter Portable Air Conditioner w/ Dual Hose | Worlds Most Efficient Portable AC

to check out the pdf document with the details.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #16

Name: Glen
Trailer: Coachmen
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGCNewbie View Post
super small portable A/C until that could cool the interior of the unit so that it would be okay to leave my pup in the camper.
There is the Artic https://goo.gl/6F2frN portable 12v. A/C <_<
glamfib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco