2nd hand window rock guard installation Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
JRC

Name: JRC
Trailer: market
Ontario
2nd hand window rock guard installation Trillium

So I bought my 1975 Trillium. Looks like more to do than I thought. All windows out, new wood backing, reinstalled them and roof vent with butyl tape, etc etc.
Front window rock guard looked original except the fiberglass was replaced with plexiglass? It was so heavy so the arms that are to hold it up were broken. They looked too light to hold much. What to do?

So I went to a rv graveyard, got a used rock guard from an old 20 ft trailer. Cut down the frame and fiberglass to make it not as wide so it fits the trillium. The arms to hold it up look much heavier.

I havent finished installing it yet.
Question - there is about an inch gap at the bottom when its closed. Is this going to create an issue with air coming up underneath it?

Question 2- How does it look? Should I remove the logo that is on it now and get Trillium logo made?

Thanks for any opinions.

Hope the pictures come through ok.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171026_210021.jpg   IMG_20171027_200838.jpg  

JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:36 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I suggest you get a rubber gasket seal to fill that gap. It might be a bulb seal or a D profile or other type. You will have to decide for yourself what is going to work best for your situation and type of attachment. I would suggest possibly using rivets as well as adhesive.

The gasket will help keep the wind from getting underneath. There are many styles of such gasket seals around. Ebay automotive is a great place to start the search for a suitable profile. The measurements are sometimes given in millimeters so have a conversion calculator or printed conversion chart handy for your search.

As to how it looks? It is not beat up. Your trailer light to tow. It does not seem like a high priority change at the moment since it is not ugly so you can save it as a chore for later if you want to. Or you can get a vinyl decal made that has Trillium printed on it and paste it over the word TowLite
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
rock guard

Our 95 13f scamper has the same layout as yours it does have about a 1in gap all the way around it. it appears to be original so I suppose this is how it was designed.

I would be concerned about adding more weight to it myself.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Or you could name your trailer "TowLite" which isn't a bad name.

I think it looks very nice.

On the other hand, we put a window in our rock shield out of a piece of leftover Lexan; we love having a window there. There never were any hold-up arms so Paul uses a simple brace when we're camped.

Cleaning and making a window (sealed with butyl tape) in the rock shield was the first part of the total redo we did for Peanut...the logo was the first rub-on decal we'd ever used. (Used to use the ones you soaked in water and "slipped" off onto the new surface--these are somewhat different.)

Super to see how clever you were in fixing yours up. I bet whatever you decide it will look and work well!

BEST
Kai / Kathleen
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 054.JPG  

Old 10-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
JRC

Ontario
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I think I'll try the rubber gasket idea. I'm worried about the wind ripping it off. I saw some rubber wall cove at Home Depot today. I might just cut it to fit and install.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #6

Registry
We used a double-hinged hasp and a carabiner to hold ours shut under tow. It works great. Paul made sure the carabiner is a good size so it holds it snug and it doesn't bounce...at least not that we've detected.

Rubber gasketing sounds like a good idea.

You can "just" see the hasp in the lower picture...I didn't even know they made such things. We sealed it with butyl tape where the screws went through into the window frame inside.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
JRC

Ontario
Ok I see what you mean.
On the used guard at the bottom of the arms on each side that are to hold the guard up when parked are little spring bolts. They go into slots on the guard frame. I haven't attached the brackets that have the bolts onto the camper shell yet. Do you think it would be solid enough or should I have something more substantial?

See pictures sorry pics are sideways
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171029_192700.jpg   IMG_20171029_192758.jpg  

IMG_20171029_192805.jpg  
Old 10-29-2017, 06:19 PM   #8

Registry
Those look nice.

I don't know if they'll be strong enough, but you'll find out as soon as you give 'em a good try. Paul uses a little spring-tension curtain rod with a rubber tip on each end to prop the rock guard open when we're parked if there's not too much wind--he also uses a bungee to keep it from bouncing or blowing UP and letting the stick drop. He found a bicycle flag in the road and added that to his stick/curtain rod to be jaunty.

He sets the rod inside the guard just as he latches it shut so we don't misplace or lose it. It's VERY low-tech.

Sorry, no pics.

K

Tags
trillium