Professional Pop-Top Material Replacement Recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Professional Pop-Top Material Replacement Recommendations?

I have a Compact Jr., which has a pop-top roughly 1 to 1 1/2 feet tall and (if removed) 30 feet long. It's still intact and usable, but some past owner replaced the original canvas with vinyl him- or herself without much regard as to whether corners were square, lines were not ragged, or window components (layer of netting and clear plastic) aligned with each other.

Now in the past I have been critical of that owner, but the more I look for a professional to re-do it, the less critical I am- I can NOT find any professional to do it. Our local boat-top upholsterers won' t touch it, and RV upholsters only want to do the interiors of RVs. I'm starting to think I may have to even go out of state?

Any of you with similar pop-tops had this done, and if so, who did it and what is their phone number?
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #2

Name: Dach
Trailer: formerly: 1972 Hunter Compact
Oregon
Registry
If your in Oregon try this business. http://www.waagmeester.com
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:47 AM   #3

Oregon
Registry
I also have a 72 Compact Jr.! My tug has a Sunbrella fabric liner which was fabricated and installed by the previous owner. The fabric works great!

Waagmeester can make that for you. They have made me awnings and canopies in the past. Looks like they've moved to Wilsonville. Rent was probably to high in Portland :/
Old 12-31-2017, 02:26 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Hilby View Post
I have a Compact Jr., which has a pop-top roughly 1 to 1 1/2 feet tall and (if removed) 30 feet long. It's still intact and usable, but some past owner replaced the original canvas with vinyl him- or herself without much regard as to whether corners were square, lines were not ragged, or window components (layer of netting and clear plastic) aligned with each other.

Now in the past I have been critical of that owner, but the more I look for a professional to re-do it, the less critical I am- I can NOT find any professional to do it. Our local boat-top upholsterers won' t touch it, and RV upholsters only want to do the interiors of RVs. I'm starting to think I may have to even go out of state?

Any of you with similar pop-tops had this done, and if so, who did it and what is their phone number?
I find it fairly amusing that you can't get anyone to take on the work. It is NOT a difficult sewing job. If you can do basic sewing on a machine you can do the job yourself. Almost all of it is straight line sewing except for putting the zipper on a curve to create the screened opening. Of course all such work takes time, you have to take measurements and make any patterns that might be needed. Obtain the materials, do the cutting and the sewing and then their is the installation time. So it is going to cost you for all that labor and the materials. Plus of course all shops have overhead cost to pay for.
Click image for larger version

Name:	poptop fabric 2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	114810
I made my own popup replacement canvas for my Campster trailer.
Here is a photo of laying out the pattern for the zippered openings. You mark where the zipper goes (tailor's chalk for marking the position) and then sew the zipper in place before you cut through the material. You carefully cut through where the centerline of the zipper lies then turn those edges back under and stitch them down as seen in this next photo.

Name:	poptop fabric 3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	114811

Next you turn it over, sew screen in place. Last step is to sew placket strips to cover over the line of the zipper to keep the water out when the zipper is closed up.

Shown in the photo I have the finished canvas attached to the popup roof, it is sitting upside down on a table before I installed it back onto the trailer.

Name:	pop top canvas.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	114809

If you have a sewing machine and want to see video tutorials to learn how to do this kind of work go to youtube type "sailrite" into the search function. The Sailrite company has all kinds of videos on it to teach you how to sew on canvas. They show the basics of how to sew, how to put in zippers, etc. They also get more specific for this type of project and have videos on putting in a curved zipped window with a screen. They are showing that in a clear vinyl cover but you can use very similar techniques in a canvas cover.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:47 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Have you tried any antique car restoration places? They almost always have to re-do the convertible tops for old cars. They might be able to do it for you or at least point you in the right direction for getting it done.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
K Corbin I currently have a Trailswest Campster and a Hunter ( also am looking for a 12 step program that can help with this addiction ) both of which need new canvas. I read your very impressive thread on reconstructing yours some time ago but can't remember exactly which fabric you settled on. Could you please refresh my memory ? Thanks Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Try contacting an adult education school that offers upholstery classes
We had all cushions/ports potty covered and curtains made by a student for price of materials and a donation to the school
The outcome was fantastic
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
ABK

Name: AB
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
I must say YOUR canvass work looks outstanding.
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #9

Oregon
Registry
Yup I agree.

Tags
eco