Escape 21' Owner Feedback? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Carol ;Your calculations are correct if Escape gives you the full official exchange rate.
In 30 + years of going to Canada camping / fishing in both Ontario & Manitoba ,we have never received the full exchange rate . Usually we receive 50 to 75% of the difference when paying with cash /check . There are bank fees charged to Canadian businesses who convert US $ to Canadian $ . Often you get a rate of 1$ to 1$ because many Canadian businesses do not want to screw around trying to figure out the exchange because it changes constantly. (I am NOT trying to be "negative" about Canada)
Your very correct which is why I showed it was using the nominal rate.

What you have pointed out is the case in pretty well any country i have traveled. The shops are never going to give you anything close to the what the official exchange rate is. I would never go shopping in a foreign county expecting to get anything close to the current official exchange rate if using foreign cash.

One is better off if they didn't buy the correct currency from their own bank ahead of time checking with their CC companies as to what their policy is in regards to exchange rates. If one has more than one CC card you may find one is better than the other in so far as what you can expect them to discount the rate by.

If i walk into a US bank and buy US$'s with Canadian $'s and have no account with them I will usually be charged far more fees & a lower exchange rate than if I had made the purchase of the US$'s at my own bank in Canada. What your own bank is going to sell you the funds at is a whole different matter again. The rate of exchange BTW is also different depending on if your are buying or selling. Sometimes you may be better off looking around for an international exchange shop that only does foreign exchanges.

I would suspect though that most people considering purchasing a large ticket item in foreign funds would shop around for the place that will give them the best exchange rate and charge the lest amount of fees prior to doing the transaction.

Then again if the company I was purchasing from was willing to give me the same exchange rate they are getting from their own bank less the banking fees & if it was in line with what I would pay using my own banks rates and fees, then I would do that as well.

I personally have no knowledge as to what Escapes practices are in that regard, but I bet we have a few others here that do know!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Speaking of exchange rates, I recall leaving the Dominican Republic and being offered handfuls of loonies and toonies for a few US dollars. The waiters and bar tenders from the all-inclusives would give you $20 in Canadian for five bucks US. The cost of converting it where they banked made Canadian dollars quite worthless.
If you want to stiff the wait staff, tip them in Canadian coins.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #23

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I still like my 21ft have owned it now for four years.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I put the deposit down for Ten Forward it was in US dollars. When I planned the build sheet, it was in US dollars. When I made the final payment before pickup, it was in US dollars... then I got a REFUND. Doing the happy dance

I've followed ETI builds where folks are turning themselves into pretzels worrying about the exchange rate... really? I knew my budget (I work for wages), and have always figured I could afford XXXX amount. I'm one happy camper... no matter the exchange rate. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Actually, there are various exchange rates. The one quoted in newscasts is the best available, and not available to plebs like us.
Glenn you are quite right. A few years back we put a deposit down on an Escape that we later cancelled. What I found is the rate I saw on Google was a little less than 5% better than what I got. I went to my local bank who claimed not to charge because we were a customer. They went to a larger state bank who I believe went to a currency broker. The Escape folks used a local credit union who also charged a fee. This was a bank to bank transfer which we were told was the safest way to do it. We had never made a purchase like this before and used the deposit as a test run for the final payment. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Very happy with our 21; the added width makes it far easier for 2 humans and 3 small dogs to co-exist. Fixed inclined bed lets wifey get a solid nights sleep. With our Casita 17 we didn't even try to take our dogs camping, so we've upsized in trailers and downsized in dogs over the years.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Can't speak for the 21 since I have a 17B (which, unfortunately, I purchased at about the only time in recent history that the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar).

Love the trailer & it has held up well over 4 years & many, many miles of towing.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
In 2009 we bought an EggCamper and last year we moved to an Escape 21. The reasons for the move were:
1. Comfortable table seating for four instead of uncomfortable seating for two.
2. A much larger refrigerator (6.7 cubic feet!).
3. Much more counter space.
4. A much larger bathroom.
5. Much more convenient storage.
6. Much larger hot water heater and tanks for water and waste storage.

They both have the same size of bed, both have a nice open floor plan, and both are 88" wide so those factors were equal. We already had a truck with an 8200 pound towing rating and the towing doesn't seem any different. The only thing I miss about the EggCamper was the 6' 7" of headroom; the Escape advertises 6'5" of headroom but I can't stand up straight in it in any location and I'm just a bit over 6'4". The EggCamper was great for short camping trips but after about a week in it my wife would become a bit "antsy" - mainly because of the lack of storage space; this summer we spent four weeks in the Escape and never felt uncomfortable.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #29

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We had a Casita FD for 8 years. Loved that little guy. Now have the 21 and wouldn't go back. We looked at the 19 but it just wasn't enough 'more' than the Casita to write that check. Still had a crawl over bed and a smaller bathroom. Plus we were not comfortable in the dinette with the high windows. Then along came Reace and Tammy with the 21. I though I wouldn't like the front bed but it's a non-issue. It's tucked up front beside the huge bathroom. No more crawling over each other in the middle of the night. It feels very spacious inside. We can walk by each other in the aisle and the rear dinette is huge. So nice to lounge around back there and look out, eat, play cards with friends, watch a movie, you get the picture. Tons of storage. Easy to tow - who knew the tandem would be easier to tow?

That being said, it depends on how you are going to use it and what you are comfortable in. If our son decided to get a new trailer (they have a 10 and 11 yo) I would suggest the 19 with the cot option. Go to a rally and look at the different models but we are still loving the 21!

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dave and Kathie,

If you get to Florida be sure to visit the Rawlings' home.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #31

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've followed ETI builds where folks are turning themselves into pretzels worrying about the exchange rate... really? I knew my budget (I work for wages), and have always figured I could afford XXXX amount. I'm one happy camper... no matter the exchange rate. YMMV
Donna,

You are absolutely right. We got skinned by the exchange rate when we bought four years ago. But so what? It's over. That just means we have to go out and enjoy the Escape more now to make up it.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #32

Name: Kelley
Trailer: Wilderness
Ohio
H

Anyone have one in the Ft Myers FL area?
Masterstilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterstilll View Post
You should call Escape directly and ask. They do have a referral system in place.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #34

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
According to the Escape owners map there are 5-6 here on the East Coast, 2 in/near Florida. In addition I believe there will be at least 6 Escapes at the Townsend Rally including my 21 Escape. See here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...8-a-67255.html
Old 02-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterstilll View Post
If you ever get up to the Pensacola area you are welcome to take a look at ours.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #36

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We had a Casita FD for 8 years. Loved that little guy. Now have the 21 and wouldn't go back. We looked at the 19 but it just wasn't enough 'more' than the Casita to write that check. Still had a crawl over bed and a smaller bathroom. Plus we were not comfortable in the dinette with the high windows. Then along came Reace and Tammy with the 21. I though I wouldn't like the front bed but it's a non-issue. It's tucked up front beside the huge bathroom. No more crawling over each other in the middle of the night. It feels very spacious inside. We can walk by each other in the aisle and the rear dinette is huge. So nice to lounge around back there and look out, eat, play cards with friends, watch a movie, you get the picture. Tons of storage. Easy to tow - who knew the tandem would be easier to tow?

That being said, it depends on how you are going to use it and what you are comfortable in. If our son decided to get a new trailer (they have a 10 and 11 yo) I would suggest the 19 with the cot option. Go to a rally and look at the different models but we are still loving the 21!

Kathie
Thanks for the info, I currently have a 2011 Casita 17' FD which we love, but we want to full time a little more; I looked at Airstreams but the cost is outrageous, and they are not without problems talking to owners. We are considering a 21' Escape. I'm just curious where you can get warrantee work done on them if needed, as we live in Florida?
Chucksper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Escape will authorize repairs at your local RV shop, not an issue. All the appliances, like fridge, water heater, etc are covered by their manufacturer warranties which will be honored at any warranty center.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape