There's a hole in my Boler my Boler my Boler - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #81

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Luis,,hate to tell ya but it's feeling like AUGUST today here.
After freddy(our dog) and I got back from our walk I turned the air conditioning on in the Boler and am hiding for a while!!
I don't know anything about electronics other than the basics. I just plug the tv into 110 and it comes on. Then I hook the cable up,, done.
I brought down our satellite system but haven't got that working yet. I talked to the tech guys at Shaw, got the coordinates for the dish but no luck yet.

My biggest challenge for working on the Boler is time!! Since I retired I've been way busy. So putting the project like this one into a limited time frame keeps it in focus.
Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000636.jpg   IMG_00000495.jpg  

FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #82

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Luis,,hate to tell ya but it's feeling like AUGUST today here.
After freddy(our dog) and I got back from our walk I turned the air conditioning on in the Boler and am hiding for a while!!
I don't know anything about electronics other than the basics. I just plug the tv into 110 and it comes on. Then I hook the cable up,, done.
I brought down our satellite system but haven't got that working yet. I talked to the tech guys at Shaw, got the coordinates for the dish but no luck yet.

My biggest challenge for working on the Boler is time!! Since I retired I've been way busy. So putting the project like this one into a limited time frame keeps it in focus.
Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help.
Fred
Man, I sure could use some sunny warm weather about now! Seattle sog is just not cool...
Slav
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #83

Name: Vic
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Alberta
How are things going. The weather here, we'll what ever. It's mid 20's in Havasu. Three more weeks and we're outahere. Not much has change here. Been quiet at work and fighting a head cold. I think Darcey and company are going to do a new frame up on the Boler. I've found some good info off the different threads on axles, so I'm going to check that out as well. Some of these interior builds are incredible. Roberts and Ian's, I like the idea of front kitchen. Anyway stay in touch and let us know how things are going.
Vic.
vics454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #84

Registry
Well we're home and after spending 2.5 months testing our renos in SoCal we decided on a few more!
First things first we stripped it out and gave it a complete scrubbing with mixture of bleach and soap.
Everything needs a place and without a place it gets tossed in the corner,,, so we need more places.
We have decided to create a overhead storage above the dinette along with a bunch of other things but this is where we're starting.
The pic shows how I got the line where the unit will go. I decided to make it paralle(?) with the side windows and high enough to clear the rear window. Will also have side shelves that go forward to the stock cabinets.
Follow along as I stumble towards completion. Perfect doesn't exist in my world, decent is the goal.
Marilyn got the new drawer that I made in the center front last fall. That storage unit below the bed is where I kept my clothes,,WHAT A PAIN IN THE A**!! Access to that space is going to change.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG928.jpg   IMG929.jpg  

Old 04-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #85

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
overhead shelves

Hi Fred,

beware you also need to measure for your own spine+neck+head (headroom) when seated on the seats. i think you need over 3' for this so your overhead storage may need to be even higher ....

The top of the windows is not the only reference you need to look at that is.

Regards,
L

Quote:
Well we're home and after spending 2.5 months testing our renos in SoCal we decided on a few more!
First things first we stripped it out and gave it a complete scrubbing with mixture of bleach and soap.
Everything needs a place and without a place it gets tossed in the corner,,, so we need more places.
We have decided to create a overhead storage above the dinette along with a bunch of other things but this is where we're starting.
The pic shows how I got the line where the unit will go. I decided to make it paralle(?) with the side windows and high enough to clear the rear window. Will also have side shelves that go forward to the stock cabinets.
Follow along as I stumble towards completion. Perfect doesn't exist in my world, decent is the goal.
Marilyn got the new drawer that I made in the center front last fall. That storage unit below the bed is where I kept my clothes,,WHAT A PAIN IN THE A**!! Access to that space is going to change.
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #86

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I watching anxiously for you to complete your cabinet. I'm planning to do the same and I've gone over it in my mind creating about a dozen different designs. I think you do outstanding work, so I'm hoping you will be the magic pill that fixes all of my sleepless nights. I actually want to make it more of well designed shelf, without doors though. I just prefer that look using coordinated baskets to keep everything organized and a clean look. Then need something to cinch it all down while traveling. But I would like to have a good plan to start with that I can modify. I'm counting on you. lol
Also, glad you made it home safely. Looked like you had a fabulous west coast trip.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #87

Registry
Luis, thanks for enough thought to post your concern!
I will double check that I won't be smackin my head every time
I get up from the dinette. Think I may even drag Marilyn out to the
shop to ensure my idea of enough space works for her too.
To the Otters, my enthusiasm got ruined today by 3 inches of snow!!
Thought we were done with that stuff!!
I have made a couple of atempts at getting the curve of the corners
transfered to wood,,,,,,ran outta wood!!
Once I get it I'll share what worked for me, but trail and error seems the answer. Robert said the curves were hard to get right,he is.
Fred
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #88

Registry
Well using the windows as a reference and the 2 sticks I had across them
really helped. They gave me a consistant location and allowed me to create a very close fit.
I was in and out of the Boler so much I took the door off!! It took forever to get the first corner. Even then both sides weren't the same. The second was close so it was easier to get it nice. Then I made the back piece in the middle which went pretty smooth.
I tied them together so they became a unit as my goal is to have the floor of this shelf made as a single piece. Then was the job of getting it out of the trailer as a single piece. Turned out just had to take out the upper kitchen cabinet support,simple.
This piece is just the pattern. The finish product will be in birch ply.
The next step in the trailer is to glas in a support for the shelf to rest on.
I plan to do this a little different than I have seen up to present.
I plan to cut the ensolite along the line and peel it down a bit, create the ledge which will look like a wedge in a cross section view then glue the ensolite back up.
If anyone has seen this I would appreciate a link cause I'm a little nervous about it.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG931.jpg   IMG932.jpg  

IMG933.jpg   IMG935.jpg  

IMG934.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #89

California
Registry
Excellent template. You're doing what I had in mind with the wrap around. Are you planning to glue the wedges on or use a fastener? Someone on here tried glueing but ultimately had to fasten with bolts or screws? He did a nice job though securing it. I'll look for that link. You're going to have some nice storage there with a lot less frustration retrieving your clothes.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #90

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd lose stuff in a cabinet that deep Can't wait for the rest of the build!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #91

California
Registry
This is the link I am referring to.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-51745-10.html

Update: I reread your post where you indicated you are glassing in the support. That's a good idea. Looking forward to seeing that.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #92

Registry
Donna I don't know that I'll keep it that deep but it's easier to cut it off than add it on.
Thanks for the link "Otters" I had read that and that is why i started thinking in a different direction.
I may keep a bit of stuff up there but my clothes are still going under the dinette seat but with different access at least that is the plan.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #93

Name: Dave
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Nice work on the boler. I still laugh every time I see the title of the ahole in my boler. Keep up the great work.
Kobelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #94

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
No worries, snowed out here in Calgary too.

Use 1/2 " hard foam (insulation) sheets from Home Depot to transfer the curves to wood. Easy and cheap!
(Look into my post)

Cheers,
L

Quote:
Luis, thanks for enough thought to post your concern!
I will double check that I won't be smackin my head every time
I get up from the dinette. Think I may even drag Marilyn out to the
shop to ensure my idea of enough space works for her too.
To the Otters, my enthusiasm got ruined today by 3 inches of snow!!
Thought we were done with that stuff!!
I have made a couple of atempts at getting the curve of the corners
transfered to wood,,,,,,ran outta wood!!
Once I get it I'll share what worked for me, but trail and error seems the answer. Robert said the curves were hard to get right,he is.
Fred
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #95

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
A pin-type contour gauge (link) works really well for transferring curves.

Francesca
Attached Images

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #96

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobelka View Post
Nice work on the boler. I still laugh every time I see the title of the ahole in my boler. Keep up the great work.
Is there ahole in your Boler too?
LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #97

Registry
Thanks for the ideas on the line transfer,,maybe next time,,,,

Well after a couple of days pondering how to hold the overhead in place I changed my mind again as I just couldn't see my plan working.
But I think I came up with something better.
Although a ledge for the shelf to rest on would be preferable I was forseeing too many problems.
This is what I came up with.
The first pic is the end view of wood pieces shaped to the contour of the boler, second pic shows where and third shows that it goes under the Ensolite. The small blocks of wood represent the shelf thickness.
There is lots of contact surface with 29 inches down both sides and 5-8inch pieces across the back. I plan to secure these with resin and a layer of glas mat between the shell and the wood to fill any voids. Then glue and screw the shelf up to it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG936.jpg   IMG937.jpg  

IMG938.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #98

Registry
Got all the supports glased in last night.
I worked in the garage with no heat, gives a lot more prep time with the resin, once I had everything postioned turned the heat up.
Wanted a little pressure on the pieces so the glas would contact better so I came up with this abortion! It just needed to be firm, kinda like holding it there with your hand. The pieces of wood are under the ensolite. This morning i took out all the supports and everything looks great. I used at least 20 pounds of forse on each one trying to pull them off, didn't budge.
I set the template up into postion and mounted it with 3 screws gonna be AWESOME!! Using the side windows for reference was really key for me and cutting the ensotile on the line at the bottom of the supports turned out to be exactly right. Because when you set the pieces up in place with the glas wet the ledge where the ensolite was cut in combination with the ensolite uncut at the top held the wood pieces in place till i installed the pressure supports.
It's about 22 inches deep and the opening is about 11 inches high.
I set up the table and tryed to get a feel for the size, it's maybe a little big but we'll get used to it.
Guess it's time to buy the birch ply,,,,,,,
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG939.jpg   IMG940.jpg  

IMG941.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #99

Name: Vic
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Alberta
Fred, when do you plan to come for a visit. I'll make sure the boler is in the garage. I haven't visited this site for a while and after reading this, gets me thinking about the new frame and axle update when we get back. Look forward to following along.
Vic.
vics454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #100

Registry
Well after being a little off for a couple of days with the flu I finally picked up some birch ply and layed a template on it!
My beltsander piled up before I was done so the fit could have been better but decent is what I was after and thats what I got. The one obvious mistake, cut it upside down and my cutoffs on the ensolite could have been better,,bead of chalking
Thinking we'll have a wall across the back like most installs then maybe dowels down the side shelves. The pics of the propane are just to show the amount of space created.
This mod will be VERY WORTH the time, effort and money required to complete! AND, completed the goal of the shelf made as 1 piece.
Still finishing to do and will post as that happens.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG943.jpg   IMG942.jpg  

IMG948.jpg   IMG945.jpg  

IMG946.jpg   IMG947.jpg  

Tags
boler