i can't believe how emotional i'm getting about considering selling my casita 17 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #21

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
So is this like "puppy rescue?" People driving far and wide to save mistreated eggs? I have so much admiration for those folks who spend their time, sweat and money to bring something back to happy usefulness! You're my heroes!
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #22

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
It is hard. We made the choice to sell our Scamp after needing to replace our tow vehicle. Yes, we could have purchased a new tow vehicle, but after looking at the big picture it really was the best choice for us to sell. Also for us was the desire to want to be able to fish more and bring along the boat. It was a super hard choice, but I have no doubt that we'll be Scamp or other fiberglass owners again sometime. It has been super fun to own, especially since we are non-typical owners of them (young couple with 2 young kids).
Good luck with your decision, there is no one right choice for everyone.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
As we search for higher and higher mileage in our vehicles are we going to get to a point that only SUVs or trucks will be rated to tow? I've noticed that the gain in payload for trucks is coming from lowering the base weight while keeping the same GVWR. . My wife's small car was rated at 1000 lbs towing in 2010 now in 2013 it is rated at zero.
Also fiberglass trailers are getting heavier with the addition of multiple options and the increase in size . Can we really say that fiberglass trailers can still be pulled by a grocery getter designed to just haul your butt to work ! I think our vehicles and trailers are going in different directions
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #24

Name: Klaus
Trailer: Escape Trailer
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen G View Post
We sold our 2004 17' Casita LD the day after we brought home a 1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind last September.
I'm in the process of rebuilding it and as usual things come up and its not done yet.
It was supposed to be ready in time for an Airstream Rally a couple of weeks ago and a teardrop gathering next week.

Good thing we have a 2001 13' Casita P.D. ( Yaa ! )

But I do miss my 17' (sniff sniff).

Glen,

Love your pics! So cool to see the 3 lined up together and then the double-tow.

Thanks for posting!

K&Ksitte
kksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #25

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
I feel it too

Last year I really wanted to buy an Escape trailer. I put in my order and was so excited. Then, after some medical issues I decided not to make the investment and I bought my Snoozy instead. It was less expensive and a good little trailer. Then came more medical issues and these have long term consequences.

Since I do not know what the future may bring, I am trying to live life to the fullest. I am now selling my Snoozy and am buying the Escape 19. Sometimes dream cannot wait.

I am finding that I am very attached to my Snoozy and will be really sad to see her go. but, I hope to sell her to someone who will love her as much as I do.

Sometimes it is best to follow your heart!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post

i'm getting ready to trade the car...no emotional attachment there...but trading it is a really stupid financial decision.
Calculate the near- and long-term costs/losses attached to such a decision: that's the "affection tax" required for you to keep the Casita. Only you can decide if it's worth paying.

I bought a trailer my (paid for, 4-cyl.) daily driver can pull, and so can you. Believe me, it's just as easy to get (re) attached to a smaller trailer- especially if one's confident it was a smart-money decision, too.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #27

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Hey there Kayak, no you aren't crazy. Maybe finding a trailer that would fit your needs before you sell your current trailer would make it less painful? That is how it worked for me.

I had a '63 Canned Ham that I loved for 8 years. I rehabbed it and decorated it to fit me. It was comfy and had plenty of personality. I towed it with my '86 Volvo station wagon. It towed it ok but I did most of my camping in places where I didn't have to tow over hills. It was limiting. Then 3 years ago I got a small inheritance that I used to special order a new 2010 Subaru Forrester. It was my first new car in over 20 years. I used it to tow my canned ham to the same places I had towed it with the Volvo and spent the whole time worrying I was hurting my beloved car even though the weight on the trailer was within it's tow specs. Then my husband was able to travel with me more and I wanted a trailer where we could share a bed. The bed in the canned ham was only 48" wide, a little small for both of us. So I started looking for a trailer would fit my needs and I knew it wasn't going to be a tent trailer (been there, hated it).

Pretty quickly I found a Hunter I (one of the Compact family), itty bitty,light and a king-size bed. I towed it over the Siskiyous to bring it home after buying it. Told some friends about my new trailer, and they imediately asked what I was doing with my old ham. They bought it as soon as I had pulled all my camping gear out of it. All I can think is that it was meant to be. Yes, I am nostalgic about my canned ham and I miss her especially some of her cabinet space but I am really enjoying the freedom to travel over hills without worry and the huge bed that my Hunter has.

So maybe out there is a smaller trailer just waiting to be your new love. And while you are hurting over your current trailer, it just isn't meeting your needs. A one-sided relationship is never a good thing.
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #28

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
well. i bought the truck. a tacoma 4x4 v6, real tow package(not like the rav...)

two of you on here helped me make the decision. one said:

"Since I do not know what the future may bring, I am trying to live life to the fullest"

and i could relate.

the other said-try the casita with the new truck for awhile and if it isnt right-trade the casita for a smaller camper.

i dont know. anyway i did it. no hook-up pics yet tho.

i had put over 700. into the rav to make it tow the casita and at the end it didnt seem like it was going to work. the dealer is taking off the brake controller and putting it on the new truck and taking off the new class III hitch i bought from u-haul...and i will try to sell that.

i havent decided about the wdh yet...i'll hold onto it at least until i see how the tacoma pulls the casita with the antisway bar that came with the casita.

so-when it is all together i will have a new pic to send.

my 12' kayak looks kinda funny in the 5' bed...
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What will help, truly, with buyers remorse is to get out and USE it. Having it sitting in the driveway and all you're thinking of is dollar signs... is debilitating. Once you get out and about, sleep well, then open the door to step outside into nature's livingroom.... NIRVANA.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #30

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Congrats!!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #31

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
thank you both. i am so over due for "using it" but still a few hoops to jump thru. yesterday i wrote this:

"the dealer is taking off the brake controller and putting it on the new truck and taking off the new class III hitch i bought from u-haul...and i will try to sell that."

today when i called to get an idea of when..NO BODY seemed to know about that. i have a paper with it written. these are 3 of about 6 things i needed done to make the deal.

i had a crazy hour thinking i might have a heart attack...but finally the salesman called back and said it will all get done...probably this week...and not to worry. something about there being a lot of paperwork because it is the end of the month and all those involved are in a meeting...but the paper will go thru the process and i should get a call in a few days ... get the truck with the brake controller over to the rv guy who is putting the new battery in the camper...and they will show me how to use the anti
sway bar and i think thats it...i will be on my way.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita