jacking advice pls for 17.5 ft Bigfoot trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
jacking advice pls for 17.5 ft Bigfoot trailer

Hi

I have a 17.5 ft Bigfoot Gaucho 25B175G single axle trailer.

I need to jack it up to inspect the underside and pull the wheels to inspect the bearings and the brakes. I have new shock absorbers to go on as well.

I'll work on one side at a time.

Question 1 (for Bigfoot owners): The owners manual is pretty hopeless on detailed maintenance issues. What is the best jacking point? I was thinking immediately in front or behind the spring mounting points on the main fore and aft frame beam running down the side of the trailer.

Question 2: I have an Atwood electric tongue jack. Should I support the tongue by other means and retract the jack a bit before jacking from the side? The trailer will tilt and put a sideways bending force on the tongue jack as the side of the trailer lifts. Any danger of messing up the tongue jack?

I've searched YouTube without success Most videos are for massive 30' + trailers with tricks on how to avoid jacking a multi axle trailer to change a tire! Advice most welcome......
Old 04-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
In the following thread, the poster placed a jack stand just forward of the spring mounting plate:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...9-a-59674.html

PS: It appears the poster in the thread above jacked up both sides of the camper in order to replace the axle, thus didn't have to worry about side stress on the tongue jack.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #3

British Columbia
jacking point

exactly what I was thinking of. Thank you
Old 04-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
jack stands

So presumably you would want a jack stand forward of the front spring mounting plate and another jack stand behind the rear spring mounting plate, and do the same on the other side of the camper...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
Jack Location

I need to way in and ask a related question.

Definitely need the Jack Stands were indicated for working under the trailer; But where is the best place to actually do the jacking to get it up on the Jack Stands?

Should You jack on the frame? or on the Spring Shackle?

{Just bought a Bigfoot 25B175CB.}

Thank You.
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #6

British Columbia
jacking advice....

Here's how I did it. I used a hydraulic trolley jack just behind the rear spring shackle on the fore and aft beam. And then placed another jack stand under the same beam just forward of the front spring shackle.

If you want both ends of the axle off the ground at the same time then you'd need four stands for safety. There are too many horror stories of jacks collapsing for various reasons.

When really wrenching hard under old Mercedes I've used sections of 6x6" lumber to support the vehicle. This can actually be more stable than typical cheap axle stands from the usual big box stores as the base of support for the stands is often quite narrow.

Tags
bigfoot