Ordered a new Scamp 13 for delivery in June - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp 13 on order
Ontario
Ordered a new Scamp 13 for delivery in June

Hi everyone!
I've been lurking here for a while and joined a few days ago.
We ordered a new Scamp 13 standard w/bath and small bed a few weeks ago after looking for a small trailer for a couple of years. We've been tent campers for a long while, but thought we'd try something a little more convenient.The other options we considered were a Prolite Plus S, a Tab S, or a custom Taylor Coach. In the end, once everything was considered the Scamp seemed like the best option by a pretty wide margin (for us).
We could have have a slot to pick it up in Feb. but we thought the weather between Ottawa, ON and Backus, MN might be a bit of a crap-shoot at that time of year so opted for the first available slot left in "spring" - mid-June.
Hope to see some you "on the road" come camping season!
Steve
Steve McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McG View Post
We could have have a slot to pick it up in Feb. but we thought the weather between Ottawa, ON and Backus, MN might be a bit of a crap-shoot at that time of year so opted for the first available slot left in "spring" - mid-June.
Hope to see some you "on the road" come camping season!
Steve
I have heard of people delaying their pickup because of winter weather and that never seemed to be a problem. This is the first time I have heard of a requirement to go so many additional months if you don't want to chance a pickup in February and it does not make sense to me (unless you ordered it months ago).

But I can understand why a company would not want to sit on their inventory for an indeterminate amount of time, with only a small deposit (small relative to the total cost).

Perhaps you can work a deal with Eveland to do the build in February as planned with the understanding that you will pick it up within X days (or months) or forfeit (so they can sell it to someone else). Perhaps a larger deposit might be needed. Perhaps its too late to do that since a new order now its likely to have a mid-summer delivery date anyway.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #3

Ontario
Hi Gordon!
When I first contacted Alan back in Sept. he was saying anytime in the new year but when I finally pulled the trigger in Nov. all the "slots" in April and May had filled up so it was Feb/Mar or wait until June. It's not a huge deal since I've got to work through May anyway and also get my garage cleaned out for storage.
Steve
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I see now... typical time from order (and deposit made) to delivery is six months or so.

For many people it is a good idea to put down a deposit while still undecided to reserve your place in line. I have never heard of anyone having the slightest problem getting their deposit back from Scamp if they changed their minds.

There is still much to do in preparation including learning of the things to look for when you pick her up, so it sounds like the delay will work to your advantage.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Scamp is one of the few that only charge a small deposit ($500) and will not take a larger deposit, b/c i asked to keep my final payment lower. carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Congratulations on your new Scamp Steve! The Canadians I have known seem to make sound well thought out choices. I hope you have a wonderful summer with your new Scamp.
John
Old 12-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #7

Ontario
Slow, methodical, and polite --- not necessarily in that order.

Thanks a lot John! We can't wait.

Steve
Old 12-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #8

Name: Beverly
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Steve, I'm happy for you. We ordered our 13 ' Scamp in July and are scheduled to pick it up in early January. I feel you excitement! The winter weather is certainly a concern that we share. however the advice of slow, steady and polite is our plan. I would add the most important thing...prayer. Safe travels to you!
Beverly Korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #9

Name: Anna
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
Congratulations

Congratulations Steve! I'm hoping to be you in a little while. I live in Canada too. I'm in Toronto. Do you mind if I pick your brain for some advice about which trailer to purchase? I've also looked at everything from the Scamp, Casita, Escape, to Prolite, to Trillium etc.

Can I ask why you went with Scamp vs Prolite?

Is driving from Ottawa to the States your only option for pick-up? Do they offer delivery?

Is it possible to have it ready in a month after you've ordered it and made a deposit?

Also, I drive a Toyota Rav4 2016. Can I get a Scamp that will weigh less than 1500 lbs?

Sorry for the endless questions. I've tried calling and contacting sellers across Canada and even in the states and they're not very forthcoming with information. Most of the helpful tips I've obtained online using google and in wonderful in fibre-glass RV forums such as this one.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

I hope to see everyone on the road one day soon
Bonnetclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #10

Ontario
Hi Bonnetclaw

"Can I ask why you went with Scamp vs Prolite?"
We were looking at the Prolite Plus S, but saw some bad(ish) reviews of their longevity. They may have been just be a common stick-built trailer things, but we intend on having it for a while and never saw any such issues with FG units. They were also a bit more expensive.

"Is driving from Ottawa to the States your only option for pick-up? Do they offer delivery?"
They do offer delivery in the US, but it's very expensive. I'm pretty sure they won't ship to Canada but you could give them a call. We are making the pick-up into a camping trip and are going around the north shore of Superior on the way back since it is mid-June.

"Is it possible to have it ready in a month after you've ordered it and made a deposit?"
No way - I'm guessing they are probably booking orders for Fall right now. Give them a call.

"Also, I drive a Toyota Rav4 2016. Can I get a Scamp that will weigh less than 1500 lbs?"
That would be marginal, but I would worry more about tongue weight - it is likely to be close to or slightly over 200 lbs. You could probably keep it below 200 with weight distribution in the trailer but if you only have 150...

Good luck with your quest!
Steve
Old 02-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #11

Name: Anna
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
Thank you for helping

You're an angel Steve! Thank you for taking the time to give me some very valuable information that I can use when purchasing my own travel trailer. Can I ask you just one more question:

Does Scamp offer financing options?
Bonnetclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #12

Ontario
No problem Anna

I didn't ask, but I very much doubt it.
The bottom of my invoice says (highlighted in fluorescent yellow):
"Terms: Cash on Delivery - Cashier's Check or Certified Check.
Absolutely NO credit cards or bank drafts.
"
Their emphasis, not mine.
I asked if the check could be drawn on a major Canadian bank in US funds and they said no problem. The $500US place-holder deposit can be by credit card.
Cheers,
Steve

Tags
scamp