Big guy in a side bath Scamp 16'? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Big guy in a side bath Scamp 16'?

Haven't seen one, but looking through layouts, Scamp's layout 4 seems to be a good candidate for "everything possibly needed/wanted in as small a package as possible." I like the idea of the front couch area, and solo would just probably leave the bed down and have a tray table for when eating inside. But I read that the side bath is tight. So, if a guy was, say, hypothetically, 6'2" and 250, would it be too tight?

FYI, I saw the new Parkliner a couple of weeks ago, and our hypothetical camper would not have any real problem soaping up and rinsing off, and wouldn't, I think, bust his (or her) knees when sitting.

And, while I'm here, about how many days of a daily water-saving shower would there be before having to dump the gray water tank? Not too much kitchen sink use (mostly simple cooking for one), but some. Just looking for a ball park.

Thanks.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bob, I don't think you'd be happy at all with the side-bath Scamp. You won't be able to stand up straight, due to the slope of the roof. I'm 5'7", weight proportion to height, and I find it tight. Doable, but definitely not a lot of room... bumping elbows and such. You probably would be happier with a layout 6. Bigger bath, side dinette and you could leave the big dinette setup permanently as a bed.

That being said, you REALLY need to physically see a Scamp to find out if it will work for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Haven't seen one, but looking through layouts, Scamp's layout 4 seems to be a good candidate for "everything possibly needed/wanted in as small a package as possible." ....
I have a 16 # 4 a little north of Charlotte NC you can see if you get up this way. Yes, the bath is very tight (I'm six foot) but the front sofa is nice, especially now that I have a permanent (but removable) table for one there.

I have not used the shower yet and perhaps never will. I also have limited my other bathroom use to a binary number (if you know what I mean). For my type if camping I usually have a bathhouse not too far and only use the bathroom at night, so it works for me. At 6'2", not sure you would be happy with the space.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #4

Georgia
Thanks. Donna, I definitely agree that I'll want to see in person all that I think might work for me. Just trying to get going on a list of what those might be.
And Gordon, I might take you up on your offer when work settles down a bit. I've tent camped for years, and know how to deal with certain things when stuck in a tent. I expect my campsites will usually have some sort of binary+ facilities, and a late night stroll doesn't bother me, but I have begun thinking that on an expended trip, I might regularly welcome a good clean up after an active day. Ways around that, of course, and if I find I fall in love with a Trillium or something, I might end up pursuing that sort of thing.
Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The problem, Bob, if you're new to Scamps, is that the floor is not all one level. The center aisle and door area are lowered about 5-6" below the rest of the floor. The roof is raised 2-3" over the center aisle as well, so that's the only part that has full stand-up headroom, about 6'2".

The side bath is placed on top of the raised portion of the floor, and under the lower part of the roof where it curves toward the side, so headroom is reduced by 9" or so.

The front bath takes advantage of a lowered recess in the floor (designed originally to house a porta-potty under the front sofa). The shower pan fits in the recess, so you gain at least 6" of headroom. It also has more elbow room.

When camping, showers every third day or so is our pattern. We don't have a bathroom, so it's the bathhouse for us. I don't think it would be any different if we had an onboard shower, though. You can do "spot cleaning" in between full body showers to save water. As you say, it depends on what kinds of activities you're engaged in during the day.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The side bath is placed on top of the raised portion of the floor, and under the lower part of the roof where it curves toward the side, so headroom is reduced by 9" or so. ....
And of course the commode sits on the black water tank and is higher than normal, but that might work better for someone who is taller.. if it weren't for the limited head and shoulder room.

Also call Scamp for owners in your area. Quite likely there is someone closer than me that has one you can look out.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #7

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
I'm a big guy too.

While I like the idea of a small trailer, seeing a Casita changed my mind. It was just too tight for me. That's really saying something because I've lived most of my life in tight quarters; ships, sailboats, motorhomes, and such.

You have to see it for yourself.

A fifth wheel egg might be a solution.
mt5937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #8

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
As an owner of a 16 foot Scamp with layout 4, I agree, at your size, you wouldn't be happy with the bathroom.
I am 5' 7", 135, and it is tight for me! Being female, I just use it at night.
My 5'10" husband doesn't use it at all!
At 6'2", I don't believe you'd be able to stand up completely...my husband's head almost touches the ceiling.
We have never used the shower, nor did the people we bought it from.
We sometimes will wash up at the kitchen sink, if needed.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #9

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
The scamp layout 4 bath is not designed to take a shower in standing position. Sit on the closed toiled cover and enjoy the roomy compartment. I'm 5'5" and there is a lot of spare space above my head when I take a shower.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I had one and with the other problems, rotted floor, cracked frame the answer for my bride (6.0' tall) was a complete redesign with a new dropped floor bath in the front so she has headroom (barely).
Of course all I had to do was redesign the entire front of the trailer, frame and just about everything else.
I don't suggest it unless it is cheaper than the divorce and psychiatric counselling.
I personally don't think a side bath Scamp is adequate or average sized people.
I don't think you would be happy with the side bath
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Bob,

Roughly where, in Georgia, are you located?

I only ask because there will be a fairly large rally called "Green Eggs & Ham" in Gunter Hill SP (near Montgomery, Al) in mid-March. It would be a chance for you to visit with owners and step inside lots of different trailers of many makes and sizes.

Scamp doesn't advertise it much, but they also make a Deluxe 16 Layout A with the front sofa/bunks instead of the front dinette. It would be similar to a Scamp Standard Layout 4 with the notable exception that it will have the larger 54" bed (standard double bed) instead of the 44" bed that is in the layout 4.

If you do get a side bathroom Scamp16, you might strongly consider leaving the sink out of that bathroom. I know that a sink comes with the option package on the Deluxe trailers and, although it maybe makes some sense in the front bathroom models, I thnk that including the sink in the side bath model takes up way too much room. ..... Just my humble opinion .....

FWIW - I have heard at least one report that the side dinette seats in the Standard Layout 6 or the Deluxe Layout B are not as comfortable as the sofa because the seats are are a little small and the seat backs are fairly straight up and down (as opposed to the slight recline of the sofa). Just something to think about ......... YMMV.

If you can bring your tent, rent a pop-up trailer, or maybe rent a cabin at GE&H, I can almost guarantee you that you can see a side bathroom Scamp 16 and also a front bathroom Scamp16. (Don't ask me how I know. )

I really believe that attending the "open house" day at a rally and seeing lots of trailers is maybe the very best thing that you could do in terms of nailing down what kind of trailer you want to get.

Although GE&H is organized by Casita owners, it is open to all kinds of FGRV trailers. Details can be found at the following URL:
Green Eggs & Ham
2017 Green Eggs and Ham - Casita Travel Trailer Forum

If I can be of any further help, please send me a private message.

Best of luck to you!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #12

Georgia
Thanks for all the feedback. The idea of a seated shower doesn't sound too bad, although I can see that limited room around the arms and knees could make it impractical. Then again, at shows, I've gone into a lot of trailers and RVs and I've pretty much decided I don't want to get up from bed or seat and worry about hitting my head. But maybe a once a day thing could be different. Clearly something to think on, and find an example of (FWIW, there're a bunch of Class A's I wouldn't want to regularly get in and out of the driver's seat).

Ray, I'm in Atlanta, so that rally could certainly be doable - although I've got company scheduled that weekend right now. But thanks for the link, and if I can make it, I will follow up. I'm also aware of one in N. GA in mid-May, that should be more open for me, time-wise.

I think I've also seen comments on comfort in the side dinette, but I guess I could leave that table down too, get some well shaped cushions, and treat it as a semi-couch. While I expect most cooking would be outside, Layout 4 does yield a lot of counter space over Layout 6, but I imagine ingenuity could produce something there.

I did give brief thought at the recent Atlanta show to just jumping on the Parkliner "show offer" (it may end up being the best fit of "everything in smallest space" for me) but my basic frugality and caution kept me from getting the only fiberglass trailer I'd taken a good look at. I may also try to go ahead a get something basic and spend some time figuring out what's important to have, or not, and then act on that before what should be an extended trip in the summer of 2019.

Thanks again to all.

Bob
Old 02-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #13

North Carolina
Since you only asked about the bath, I wont bother to tell you that at six foot even I find the bed barely large enough, and the only way it is large enough for me to be comfortable is for me to be diagonal in the bed which leaves no room for anyone else in the same bed. You would be well served to spend some time in a Scamp.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #14

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Since you only asked about the bath, I wont bother to tell you that at six foot even I find the bed barely large enough, and the only way it is large enough for me to be comfortable is for me to be diagonal in the bed which leaves no room for anyone else in the same bed. You would be well served to spend some time in a Scamp.
Gordon, I've wondered about that too. When I inspected the Parkliner, the rep didn't really want me checking out the bed (he had it set up as a U, very spacious), but he eventually let me; no pillow involved, but it did seem long enough, with a couple of inches to spare. And I suspect that the reception I'd get at a rally wouldn't be even that much; big difference between inviting someone inside to look around, and having them plop down on the bed, especially when there's no sales incentive in the background.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:32 AM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Gordon, I've wondered about that too. When I inspected the Parkliner, the rep didn't really want me checking out the bed (he had it set up as a U, very spacious), but he eventually let me; no pillow involved, but it did seem long enough, with a couple of inches to spare. And I suspect that the reception I'd get at a rally wouldn't be even that much; big difference between inviting someone inside to look around, and having them plop down on the bed, especially when there's no sales incentive in the background.
Perhaps but (with only one exception that I know of) egg owners are great about helping other current or prospective egg owners. I would have no problem with most anyone trying my bed, on top of the covers or if it was not made (I guess I would draw the line at strangers getting between the sheets ). I know that the size and the extra firmness of the foam are things that people should know about and be prepared for.

It has been my experience that when a sales-person does not want someone to try out a normal function of whatever they are selling, there is a good reason for it.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Bob, I've got you by an inch or two and more than a few pounds but we managed quite well in a 16' standard layout four Scamp for six years.

Showers in a sitting position are possible and I didn't find them all that uncomfortable. The stock cushions were indeed worthless as a bed so we had a custom mattress made by Southern Mattress (which is just up the road from us) and left it in 'bed' mode full time. We made multiple trips from NC to the southwest and also to Canada and Florida. Around 2010, we bought a 19D front bath and it does have sufficient room for me to stand upright in the head. That is admittedly more comfortable but I don't really spend that much time in the john.

The advice to attend a rally and check out the various manufacturers and floor plans is sound. Plus, you'll get to meet some really nice folks.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp