13 Scamp Sofa Table Mod Idea: Doable? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
13 Scamp Sofa Table Mod Idea: Doable?

Hello Everyone,

I read with great interest the front bunk dinette mods, but I'm afraid my skill level is preclusive. Still trying to think up solutions...I do have TV tray tables, but not good for two people to sit down, play cards or share a small meal, so wondered if...

You know how the upper bunk fits in the 2 poles and base ring supports from Scamp? If I cut a small table from 1/4" ply, put in two of those pole base supports (one near center edge of FG bench, above porta potti storage, one directly behind it near rear of FG bench), cut the poles shorter and sanded, put on rubber tip caps, and screws under table to hold staple to table, might that work?

I know I'd have to sit cross legged or stretch my legs out, but with two huge pillows for back support, might this help? Could store in tug when not in use.

Don't be too hard on me if it's dumb!

Sincerely,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
It sounds like you have a good idea. If I may make a suggestion, I would design the table with an extra leg or two. If the table will extend over the lower floor maybe 1 leg to the floor with a rubber cleat on the bottom so not to scratch or mar your floor. Maybe one closer to the window or in the middle of the bench area at the back of the table with the same type cleat that rests on the top of the bench (you would have to remove the cushion on that side). This would give you table more stability.

You could also cut a hole in the bench the same size as the leg of the table and make the table leg go through it and secure it to the floor inside the bench. If it was off center on the table and securely fastened to the underside of the table this might make the table pretty stable if the fit to the hole was snug and allow your table to rotate and swing outwards for more versatility. Good luck.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What's going to keep it upright, not tipping from side to side?

What about one of those breakfast-in-bed trays with folding legs? They usually have a lip around the edge. You could make a larger surface that fits on top, perhaps with rubber stops underneath to keep it from sliding around. Here's one with some extra storage and a little drawer for your cards: Alden Lap Desk. Here's another with adjustable legs: Atlantic Laptop Tray
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #4

New York
Registry
Hi Jon,

Perhaps I didn't think things through, or didn't explain well enough. As the sofa bunk lays horizontally upright with the poles, so might not my planned idea, with the pole supports front and rear of the table? Perhaps it would wobble side to side. I don't know.

Your idea of laptop table is something I didn't think of, but I don't think the surface is large enough for two folks to eat from, nor would it be high enough to do so without bending your neck over forward to do so. At least I am not too sure anyway.

Warmly,
Wendy
Old 02-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We have a small "tray table" made of wood, and wanted to use it between the permanent seat areas by our rear bed (U-shaped area) but it was too small. Paul cut a larger tabletop out of 1/4" ply and secured it to the original top. Voila. We also added some "feet" out of old cupboard knobs to raise it up a little as our mattresses are 7" thick and set us up a little higher than usual.

It folds up flat and fits in our putin niche when not being used. It can go outside or by the other bed when Paul's out there reading while Peanut is in the driveway. Big enough for most card games or a board game and certainly big enough for 2 meals at a time...just small enough to get around with a little juggling when it's set up in place.

Disclaimer: No upholstery was harmed in the design or implementation of our enlarged tray table.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #6

New York
Registry
Hello Kai,

Cute disclaimer! Do you have a pic, and of the little cupboard knob feet?

In the Scamp 13, the entrance to the trailer is right by that rear sofa, and the floor area doesn't leave much room to maneuver anything to walk around it. But if love to look at your little gizmo if you have pics!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #7

New York
Registry
Good ideas Johnny. Never thought of bringing pole to inside dinethe bench storage, nor did I think of pole to carpeted floor in trailer. This is why I love posting here; so many good minds sharing ideas!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Will see about getting one...
Old 02-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Check out Gordon2's Lagun table thread.
Eddie
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...yst-77423.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #10

New York
Registry
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the link. I poured over that post already many times. Might be something I could handle. Why, I even installed a D ring through the floor of my Scamp already to leash the dog to! Heck, I'm multi talented.

I try, I try really hard. Let's just say that.

😉

Tags
scamp