I am egg less for now. I gave up my dream of a Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I am egg less for now. I gave up my dream of a Casita

I hate to even say it on this forum, but I went eggless and got a sticky this past weekend - only because I got so fustrated with looking for a Casita for so many months and not finding what I want. Most (not all) of the Casita's I've seen lately seemed to be overpriced compared to last year. I found Scam after Scam, and nothing decent in the upper midwest. I did not want to make a trip to Florida, Texas. or Arizona (where most of the Casita's are) all by myself to just check out something I saw online in case it would not be what I wanted once I got there. I even thought about buying new, so I checked with the Casita factory and they sent me prices. Some of those used units were priced more than what I could have gotten new from the Casita factory. That really fustrated me. However I could not afford new.
I also talked with Scamp and no way would they accomodate me to do a side window exit window or lower the toilet like the Casita toilet. So this weekend I showed hubby a local camper I thought he might like.
Hubby likes more room than a Scamp/Casita. I showed him a Starcraft AR-ONE 15RB and he liked it. Weight, size, etc were close in comparing the two.
In the Casita/ Scamp SD we had both tables used as beds. I still will have either the couch or the dinette made as a bed at night. But we will have a couch to sit on. It has a queen size bed/table as well as a couch to sleep on. When having company there is a queen size expandable to sleep a couple more adults or three kids. I will be able to get 4 or 5 people in comfortably. I am worried about it not being fiberglass and worried about possdible leaks, but the cost was less than 1/2 the price of a newer Casita. Who knows, I may be on the hunt for a Casita again come next spring (especially if I am not happy with the gas mileage hauling this unit).
We had new pups born last week (my only income), and the thought of not being able to leave those pups at home to treck across the country to "look" for my dream Casita sealed my fait. I will not be going far without the puppies for the next three months, so until they are sold I am not venturing out for a long car trip to look at campers. This one was selling below cost as a close out, so I grabbed it.
This is the best forum and the best people around. I hope and pray I will still be able to hang out here with you all as long as I do not mention my "sticky". (please can I still be your friend even if I am eggless?) I have had tents, pop ups, an Amerilite, 2 Scamps and a Casita. It seems like I don't keep them long (maybe a yr or two) so for now I am trying something new again.
My hubby says I will find my Casita now that I gave up. I am thinking so too, but getting a camper that retailed for over $13,000 for under $9000 seemed good. We shall see?!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
This is the best forum and the best people around. I hope and pray I will still be able to hang out here with you all ...
Even though the focus may be molded fiberglass, you will always be welcome here! Yes, it is frustrating to have an ideal trailer out-of-reach. But don't feel you have to hide your stickiness. There is no shame in that.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I too have ventured into the sticky side. It was good at the time, as your rig will be for you.

When the right trailer comes along (If you are still looking) it will happen.

I waited almost 2 years for my "Perfect for me" egg to come along. And oddly, I was looking for a stickie when it did!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Karalyn sorry about the frustration during the egg hunt. You'll make tons of memories and in the grand scheme of things that's what's important. Hang out and share your camping stories... with pictures of course
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here's how it really works.... You give up looking and suddenly what you wanted falls into your lap.
We spent years looking for a decent Hunter Conpact-II or a Campster. This year we finally gave up on that idea and started looking for a good Scamp.
One day we made a deal to buy a 2004 Scamp in Phoenix and immediately jumped in the car and drove over 340 miles, with cash in hand, to buy it. Not 5 miles from the sellers house he called and tells us that he had sold it.
S.O. sez "Never again, I give up". Two days later an ad appeared for the very Scamp we wanted, at a good price (for 2007 anyway), and it was less than 30 miles away. The seller (a super nice guy BTW) also owned a Hunter Compact-II (and two Airstreams and an Airstream m/h) and told us that he would sell us the Hunter at the end of this summer and even set a price.
We happily started using the Scamp and, not two weeks later, the Hunter of our dreams, at a super low price, suddenly apeared, albeit 450 miles away. Contacted the seller, again a super nice guy, made the deal and now our side yard looks like a RV park with the two trailers and our Toyota Sunrader (molded fiberglass of course) motorhome. Mark your calandar... I'll bet two hubcaps that you come across the Casita you really want(ed) within the next 90 days, that's just the way it works.
BTW: We had two boys the same way (no, not in a trailer), after we quit trying....
Let us know what falls into your lap.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Sometimes a sticky gives one a new perspective on the "+ and -" of the "molded aura". Enjoy what you have and take the puppies camping with you!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #7

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
I hear you. I've been hunting for a few months and been frustrated, too. Some scams (recently, just last week, an Atlanta scam where the guy never called me, but just sent me pix and an email, and then collected my cellphone # for spam about loans etc, that I am now getting-ARG).

Some of the sellers (I am sure not all) seem difficult. One told me to forget it (after practically begging me to come) after I'd spent the whole morning packing and was on the road. I called to let her know I was on the highway and would be there in three hours (we'd spoken the day before) She wanted me to be there an hour earlier. As hubby says, I'm the one doing the driving, she's sitting there at the campground she was going to be at anyway, what is her problem?

Another is 4 1/2 hours away and overpriced, and that would be a 9 hour roundtrip to see it, whereas in 3 weeks he is going to camp half an hour away. I said, hey, if you don't sell it (he's going to put it on craigslist) please contact me and I'll come see it at the campground. He refused. "I will *not* show my camper on vacation."

Another local fixer upper that honestly should have been under $1000 because it needed a total renovation, was listed for $4000. No pix, which of course is a warning sign. My hubby drove the hour to see it and it was in really bad condition.

It is hard, because these are not at RV places (unless used/traded in and then you don't know the history), and indeed, there seems to be a kind of overheated market in some of them. The good ones do go fast locally.

I'm still looking and will keep looking daily but I decided to also look at popups for the summer, because a good used popup is always easy to sell as well, once you get your "egg".

I too like the eggs because they are not nearly as likely to leak, and the quality materials, also small!
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #8

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
I flopped back and forth a bit between FG and stickie before settling on the FG. It could just as easily gone either way because like you I was looking for something specific that was available now. Fortunately for me what I was looking for was available; I just needed to look that way again.

Enjoy your new camper.

Nick
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Karalyn, congratulations. Your floorplan is the same as mine, except yours adds the rear bunk tray and mine has a solid rear wall. It is a nice layout, and Starcraft/Jayco units have a good reputation. It should not give you any significant troubles for several years. I would recommend keeping it at least 2 or 3 years just because the depreciation hit on a new stickie is always worst in the first year.

As for you still being welcome here... well, they haven't kicked me out yet!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #10

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Hi Karalyn: I too was frustrated because we could not sell our big 5th wheel, and really wanted a molded fiberglass. Finally just ended up trading it off for a new Aframe. It is still fiberglass. I think Donna D gave me the best advise. Just be happy with what you got. I think I will be.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I can see why you couldn't find your perfect Casita, they all look the same. Oh no, did I say that out loud?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Naw, she couldn't find her perfect egg because too many people buy 3 or 4 of 'em.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Well- some folks collect coins, some collect stamps.........
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #14

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
karalyn---you can be our friends for as long as you like! and i can't speak for anyone but myself but i'd like to see some photos!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #15

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
We just started looking for a Casita and I can understand how it is difficult to find something used but in good condition. There's nothing in the Southern California area and when one pops up, it's gone by the time we call. So we may have to take the trip, when we're ready, to Rice/Texas. Not what we wanted to do! Until then, we're still looking!
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Looking
Try using jaxed.com or another global search engine to check all of the c/l's at the same time. You will need to check at least twice every day and as soon as you see a possible rig, ya gotta call immediately.
In SoCal, if it's even close to being a good deal, those that waited even a few hours before calling are "Still Shopping"
BTW: Yes, you will have to kiss a lot of frogs in your search for a Prince of a trailer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Taking the trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
We just started looking for a Casita and I can understand how it is difficult to find something used but in good condition. There's nothing in the Southern California area and when one pops up, it's gone by the time we call. So we may have to take the trip, when we're ready, to Rice/Texas. Not what we wanted to do! Until then, we're still looking!
Maybe you could stop in the Phoenix/Florence area. LOL

trilliumrv.com

PS: Tell Tom that Roger sent you. he, he.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #18

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
Unless you've just got your heart set on a Casita don't give up on the other eggs out there. Much to choose from both new and used. Check with Casita and see if they have anyone in your area who is willing to let you take a look. Usually they do especially in socal I'd think.

If you aren't in a time crunch don't give up the search to quickly. You never know when that perfect (for you) egg will pop up.

Good luck in your search.

Nick
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I had my heart set on a yr 2005 and up Casita, and yes was kinda particular. I have owned 2 Scamps and 1 Casita, and know what I wanted this time. I really did not want carpet floor this time. I wanted screen door, and all the options I could find in a deluxe model.
Taking a trip to Somerset, Pennsylvania this summer with hubby and the dogs. The camper I ended up with will work for us. It seems to have everything I wanted, but just not fiberglass. Those fiberglass eggs are conversation starters, they are so small, cute, and functional. I will miss going to the fiberglass camp out this summer, but - oh well, part of the trade off for now.
I am waiting to see my new to me Casita for sale for sure now that I bought something else. LOL

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #20

Name: Jan
Trailer: in the market
Ohio
What a comfort to read comments from others who experience the same frustrations I do! Trying to find a decent used FGRV in Ohio in next to near impossible. Hubby and I are taking the advice of many who have recommended attending a rally just to see what is out there, and we've been assured we're welcome even if we're tent camping. I think my dream is to become an Escapee, but BC--like all the other places I see eggs I'd like to check out--is a bit too far from Cincinnati just for a look-see.
nursejan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita