Casita or Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I put a 45 degree down angle Dexter axle on my Scamp. It sits so high, I put on a welded step and run ST205/75 R15 tires/wheels. So, I have first hand knowledge that you can raise the trailer with an axle and put on larger tires.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #22

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Yes, Donna, you have lots of clearance under that 16-foot Scamp!

I visited the Spring NOG last year and took this picture. I drove down for the day to look at the trailers. I was working on my 1977 13-foot Scamp and it wasn't ready for that Spring NOG.

It should be ready this time. Just 8 more days before I head that way. I'll be in A12.

See you then,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2886b.jpg  
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I put a 45 degree down angle Dexter axle on my Scamp. It sits so high, I put on a welded step and run ST205/75 R15 tires/wheels. So, I have first hand knowledge that you can raise the trailer with an axle and put on larger tires.
EXACTLY what I wanted, the other posts I had read and folks I asked made it out to be a major modification to get tire clearence. Extra framing to drop the axle and custom wheel well to get tire clearence. I'm in a 13ft and you have a 16ft might that have made a difference? Are the original tire size on a 16ft bigger than a 13ft?

What weight range of Dexter axle did you get? I'm thinking you would need the 2300 - 3500 lbs axle for a 16ft. Did you use the high profile mount? Wonder if the 1000 - 2200 lbs axle would be enough for a 13ft.

I had all but given up hope of getting back to the places I have camped for years due to not having the ground clearence.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #24

Roger, my Scamp is 24 years old and has the deluxe (wood) interior. I purchased the 3500 lb axle because I wanted plenty of margin (loaded [no water] for four days camping it weighs 2150 lbs). It tows wonderfully well. No sway, no buffeting. I was concerned it might be "tippy," because of the height. But, so far... no problems whatsoever and I tow on some pretty curvey roads. My Scamp came from the factory with 13" tires (and that's what was one it when I bought it 10 years ago). I can measure the wheel well over the weekend... just not tonight if you think it would help. HAD I KNOWN THEN, WHAT I KNOW NOW, I would have gone with a 22 degree down and added a spacer between the frame and axle. ONLY because I have something else in mind for the plumbing and the axle is right now smack up against the floor.

Just remember whatever you do between the axle and the frame does not change the distance between the axle tube and the ground. That only happens with the "down." There again, I'd be glad to measure the distance between the axle and the ground with my setup if you'd like... but it won't be until the weekend.

Let me know what you need, always glad to help if I can.

PS: ain't my trailer purdy
Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Hey Clearcut!! Thanks for asking the same questions I have.

I like the Scamp, but it looks too low to the ground. I'd have to talk to some of our local artisan mechanics about changing the axle so it would ride higher. I think that's what would have to be done.

I do not plan on being near electrical hookups all the time and I do not care for generator noise.

Tis a hard process....
I have a 13' Scamp. The low to the ground isn't a problem. I've been in many places over all types of road and it's not a problem. I recently went through some very strong side winds (big old sand storm). I checked the trail a couple of times when strong gusts hit us. It stayed solid, higher I'm not so sure it would have been as solid.

I don't own a generator. Just got back from 3 months of wander around the southwest. We had electricity a total of 4 nights. I do have a portable 65 Watt solar panel that I use to keep two batteries charged. All the standard lights were changed to LED. I added two LED light fixtures and on Cold Cathode Florescent light fixture. All lights on draw about what one incandescent light draws. The only other thing that draws power from the battery is the furnace fan. I plugged the solar panel in every 3 or 4 days when sitting in one place that long.
FYI the second battery powers my ham radio, plus is used to charge camera batteries, etc.

We've had the Scamp for 6 1/2 years. Spent over 100 night each of the past three years in it. Been on some pretty rough roads and few smooth roads.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 AM   #26

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
RogerDat:

Here's a message by Kevin K telling what Dexter axle he put on the 1981 Scamp 13-foot that he just sold. Click on the picture of the raised trailer and it will get bigger:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post289459

Then there is a Picasa web site with 119 pictures that show how Brady and Jenny restored their Boler. I'm not sure what axle they used but it looks to me to be a 22.5 degree down mounted it on what looks like a 4-inch high channel with the arms facing rearward. Here's a link to a FGRV thread on that one:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-34440.html

The picture below is their Boler WAY up in the air.
Attached Thumbnails
93.jpg  
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
As I have mentioned before, we have a 16' Scamp. I have never had it scrape on anything. I would be nice to have it up higher, just to be able to get 14" or even 15" tires. Not to have up tall, but to perhaps get better tire life.

We do have a generator, small, quite for a generator (Honda 2000i); we'd gotten used to having on when we had a C-Class MH. Nice to have when it has been 100 degrees or better when traveling & when backing up to leave. If not for the AC, shouldn't really need one. Many people have gone to solar, but not so easy if possible to use the AC on solar (unless one had a very large system.

We do enjoy the convenience of using a microwave at times & my wife enjoys having a hair dryer.

There are anti-gererator people and there are many who are still using them, I know many did this summer when we were camping up in the mountains. Not for AC, but for electric heaters, etc. I would believe. As well as charging up batteries.

But one can live without them for sure.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #28

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I don't know which will serve you best, but I keep looking for one of those "chicken coop" models for a project I have in mind..
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Let's hear it for Trillium

I would like to humbly suggest that you seriously consider a Trillium.

We just love ours and found Tom very easy to work with.

Plus, if you live in LA, Florence is only 435 miles.

trilliumrv.com
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2935 (tiny).JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #30

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Lil Snoozy; Don't forget that if propane is important to you as it was me, you can get your Lil'Snoozy propane ready.
Lil Snoozy is not equipped or insured to install propane appliances, but they will build the cabinetry and tongue brackets to accommodate. Then, Southern Propane Services, which is in the same town, will do the install and hookup at a very modest cost for you.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I would like to humbly suggest that you seriously consider a Trillium.

We just love ours and found Tom very easy to work with.

Plus, if you live in LA, Florence is only 435 miles.

trilliumrv.com
Nice looking rig! Congrats!

How wide are the beds in the Trilliums. Would a 4500 be the same width bed as the 1300?
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #32

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Scamp fiberglass bottom?

just read in a post that Scamp doesn't have a full fiberglass bottom and Casita does. We're considering either a 17' fiberglass trailer or a 19' fiberglass fifth wheel. Spoke to Jim at Scamp and he tells me there is a full fiberglass sealed? enclosed? bottom. Did I misunderstand?
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The Scamp floor is fiberglass *sealed* as you were told by Scamp or at least my 92 is.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our 21 year old Scamp 16 is fiberglass sealed and exhibits no deterioration from below. I believe most floors rot from the top side and not the bottom.

The additional fiberglass bottom on the Casita does add weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #35

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
This was posted in another blog by someone who sold their Scamp and bought an Escape: ""The bottom of the Escape is solid fiberglass, the Scamp's was OSB board with a very thin sprayed on coat of fiberglass/resin. I think that more than any other comparison was a major factor for me. I do not feel that OSB is ever an appropriate material to expose to outdoor elements.""
....I guess if some folks haven't had a problem with it, it's fine, but if we're interested in purchasing something of the best quality, I'm thinking Escape might be a better choice. Not sure yet, still reading! I do appreciate your comments...thank you so much! It's all a learning experience and we have some time to research it all before our purchase so we're soaking in as much info as we can. Thanks again to all who posted a reply!
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
As I have mentioned before, we have a 16' Scamp. I have never had it scrape on anything. I would be nice to have it up higher, just to be able to get 14" or even 15" tires. Not to have up tall, but to perhaps get better tire life.

We do have a generator, small, quite for a generator (Honda 2000i); we'd gotten used to having on when we had a C-Class MH. Nice to have when it has been 100 degrees or better when traveling & when backing up to leave. If not for the AC, shouldn't really need one. Many people have gone to solar, but not so easy if possible to use the AC on solar (unless one had a very large system.

We do enjoy the convenience of using a microwave at times & my wife enjoys having a hair dryer.

There are anti-gererator people and there are many who are still using them, I know many did this summer when we were camping up in the mountains. Not for AC, but for electric heaters, etc. I would believe. As well as charging up batteries.

But one can live without them for sure.
The use of generators has been changing over the past few years. Almost all campgrounds limit their use in some manner or another. Some National Parks have no-generator areas, others have no generator campgrounds. This appears to be an increasing trend.
Examples... Death Valley has strict hours in some campgrounds, one campground generator use isn't allowed.
I can't remember where for sure, I think it was Big Bend. There was a non-generator area, and where generator could be used it was 6 hours a day, 2 hours in morning, 2 hours at noon, and 2 hours early evening.
As the use is curtailed one probably should as themselves if its a good investment. Solar charging is a whole lot cheaper.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
This was posted in another blog by someone who sold their Scamp and bought an Escape: ""The bottom of the Escape is solid fiberglass, the Scamp's was OSB board with a very thin sprayed on coat of fiberglass/resin. I think that more than any other comparison was a major factor for me. I do not feel that OSB is ever an appropriate material to expose to outdoor elements.""
....I guess if some folks haven't had a problem with it, it's fine, but if we're interested in purchasing something of the best quality, I'm thinking Escape might be a better choice. Not sure yet, still reading! I do appreciate your comments...thank you so much! It's all a learning experience and we have some time to research it all before our purchase so we're soaking in as much info as we can. Thanks again to all who posted a reply!
Escape make a very nice trailer. However they've been on market less than 10 years. Their durability has yet to be determined when compared to Scamp and Casita close to 40 years and 40 year old trailer still out there. Both Scamp and Casita have had the occasional floor problems. The incidence rate is so small in both cases I wouldn't use that as a purchase consideration.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #38

Floor rot in any brand is a maintenance issue, plain and simple. Water intrusion (any brand) should NEVER be delayed maintenance. Since all molded brands have windows and vents that can leak, there is NO molded brand that would NEVER have rot problems if not maintained.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I think any of the brands of fiberglass trailers can meet one's needs. As a group they are all potentially very good choices. They can last and last. Ours is 21 years old. We've given over 50 tours since we left NH in Nov. 2011 and virtually everyone touring thinks it's new.

There are a lot of questions to ask oneself before choosing. The following is off the cuff and represents my experience.

What kind of Rving will I be doing? Weekend, short trips. Long trips. Fulltiming. (We travel 7-11 months a year. We use it a lot so the yearly costs are spread over a lot of usage. For us adding solar panels amounts to $1 a day over a year of travel and pennies a day over our expected usage, hopefully 10 more years.)

Should I buy new or used? (We bought a 1991 Scamp 16 used for a 1/3rd of the price of a new one. We also felt we'd be adding a lot of changes to what ever we bought to make it a long range traveler. We have probably spent $1-2000 and many hours getting it ready for us. Most lower duration campers may not need as many mods.)

Do I need to buy a tow vehicle or is my present vehicle adequate? People often spend more for their tow vehicle than the trailer. (We owned a 2004 Honda CRV easily capable of towing our Scamp 16. the Honda is very reliable and gets great mileage, this trip between 22-23 mpg.)

What can I afford, new or used? (I simply have never been able to justify buying a new trailer, something that would well out live me in use-ability and maybe even payments. Also I'm old and retired.)

What is the operating cost? The operating cost is mostly the purchase cost of the tow vehicle and the operating cost of the tow vehicle. (Our Honda was paid for, still worked well and has very low operating costs.)

Since this is off the cuff I'm sure I missed a lot. Scamp or Casita or Escape or Eggcamper or Snoozy or Parkliner, 13 or 16 or 17 or 19 or .....

Any of them can take you to marvelous places.

I believe I could own anyone of the fiberglass trailers and be happy though some would simply cost more. Over 11 years we have camped in the same places with big (32 motorhome) and small (Scamp 16) RVs. I can not say one is more fun than another. I can say our little Scamp is easier to handle and less expensive to own even though our Bounder motorhome was very reliable and comfortable.

Most of life is choosing to do something and not getting bogged down in the choosing; the fun is in the doing.

We have been on the road for 11 years. Time has flown by. I'm so glad we didn't wait until conditions were perfect because they never would be perfect. As well the deteriorating state of the economy might have further discouraged us, now we're beyond discouragement because now the pleasure overwhelms everything. We're enjoying the wonders of living easily in 90 square feet, the least expensive place we've ever lived.

Wishing you well with your choice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp