2012 Toyota Tacoma and Casita Spirit Deluxe - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
cording to the plate on its side.
I think that we should be fine with the sway control device installed along with our electronic brakes.
If you think I'm wrong let me know. .

Karen there is a simple way of determining if you need the WD hitch and give yourself the peace of mind as to whether you are right. Its my understanding ( correct me if I am wrong) that Toyota indicates that the truck itself should be level when towing. Put a level in the bed of the truck when the trailer is not hooked up. Then fill both propane tanks and put all all the stuff you would normally take camping into the trailer, chairs, BQ, clothing, food etc (oh and dont forget the wine) and a little water in the bathroom if thats something you would normally do as well as any other tanks you may expect to have water in when towing. Hook up the trailer and put the level back on the bed of the truck.... if its level then your right.... if its not you may want to reconsider the WD.

Edit: this is assuming that the trailer is also level when you hook it up.

Hope that helps and may your next trip out to go camping go way better than your last one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You will be fine with just the sway bar. Casita's, due to the propane tanks and things, can't use a WDH. To balance things out they also suggest moving your items around inside, and Adding water to the water tank in the back,

I do this on mine, and generally if I fill my tank about 1/2 full, and then at times add a bit my trailer balances out and levels on the hitch.

Happy camping

D
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

To your question, "does a WD hitch make it safer, easier, better ?".....the answer is yes to all three.
Agree.

Pickups are not known for their towing prowess and the connection needs to be optimal.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #24

Name: Karen
Trailer: Bigfoot 25
California
Registry
Again thanks to all who responded. Your advice and knowledge is appreciated. After talking to Toyota...if towing 5000 pounds or more a WDH is needed. At 3500 pounds we need a anti sway device. The truck is made to tow 6500 pounda as long as the factory tow package is installed. The trailer is at Camping World today getting the anti sway device installed along with a number of other items fixed. The front end if the truck is planted firmly on the ground when we are hitched up.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #25
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Your advice and knowledge is appreciated. After talking to Toyota...if towing 5000 pounds or more a WDH is needed.
By that one would assume Toyota is implying that it would be OK to tow something without a WDH if it weighed say 4,600/4,800lbs.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #26

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
By that one would assume Toyota is implying that it would be OK to tow something without a WDH if it weighed say 4,600/4,800lbs.
I would hope that one would use common sense..if the weight was just off by 400 to 200 pounds to the Toyota Maximum recco of WDH at 5000 pounds. As stated in previous posts above..if front end rises when trailer hooked then perhaps one should indeed consider the WDH. I know for sure our front end sits firmly on the ground when the trailer is being hitched..the backend goes down a few inches but front end remains stable.

From what I've read in the responses to my post..is that some believe firmly in the use of a WDH and others believe that in the case of a Casita..that with my set-up no WDH is required. I am feeling safe with what I have and am having done, believe me if anything seems amiss..I will reconsider a WDH.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #27

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Karen, I see something wrong in your second hooked up picture, There's some kind of animal holding your trailer up.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Karen, I see something wrong in your second hooked up picture, There's some kind of animal holding your trailer up.
Yeah, who needs a stabilizer jack when they have a cat like that?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
From what I've read in the responses to my post..is that some believe firmly in the use of a WDH and others believe that in the case of a Casita..that with my set-up no WDH is required. I am feeling safe with what I have and am having done, believe me if anything seems amiss..I will reconsider a WDH.
I suspect what some are actually trying to say is that although Toyota states a weight at which a WD must be used Toyota also requires the truck and trailer to be level -so if the truck is not level & regardless of how much the trailer actually weighs, a WD hitch will be needed to level the truck or changes made to your trailers set up to lighten the tongue weight until the truck levels.

I also suspect that some here realize that the model of Casita you have purchased tends to be heavy on the tongue (more so than some other models of Casita's) and with two propane tanks it may result in the truck not being as level as Toyota wants it. You did mentioned that you can actually see the back end of the truck go down when you hook up & even though the front appears to be firmly on the ground its possible that the truck may not be level. The concern is that if the truck is not level it can have an negative impact on the trucks handling under not so good conditions such as a wet road or a fast stop.

Sorry I probable didn't use the correct terminological in explaining that & am sure you will make the correct choice. I just wanted to try and explain why some are still questioning the possible need for a WD and it may not be simple because they firmly believe in using them regardless.

Safe travels.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #30

California
Registry
Carol thanks for the very well thought out eexplanation I see what you are saying I will check the truck to see if level.

The cat is a parking accessory not a travel companion and she dusts
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd get rid of the factory jack and get a bolt on that folds up out of the way. It will give you needed clearance and in addition allow the tailgate to be opened while hitched.
one like this Swivel Jack Trailer Jack | etrailer.com
Over the years and with several trailers I have had to purchase several different types of jacks dependent upon the situation.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita