Ideal tow vehicle for towing Scamp 19 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #21

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
I was very surprised Carol when I traded in the 2wd this spring they gave me only 2k less than I paid two years ago.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I was very surprised Carol when I traded in the 2wd this spring they gave me only 2k less than I paid two years ago.

Adrian
That is surprising. Perhaps its a regional thing.

I know my girlfriend had a heck of a time selling her fathers 2wd truck that was only 3 years old and very low miles on it. I seem to recall it took months to sell privately and they took a real hit on it.

This fall I was in the market for a new Ford F150 and they had very very limited 4x4 stock here in BC (in fact could not find one with the options I need so had to order new) but lots of 2x4's on the lots they were willing to make a real deal on.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That is surprising. Perhaps its a regional thing.

I know my girlfriend had a heck of a time selling her fathers 2wd truck that was only 3 years old and very low miles on it. I seem to recall it took months to sell privately and they took a real hit on it.

This fall I was in the market for a new Ford F150 and they had very very limited 4x4 stock here in BC (in fact could not find one with the options I need so had to order new) but lots of 2x4's on the lots they were willing to make a real deal on.
I'm having trouble NOT selling my 2wd truck with offers on a regular basis, some approaching half the original purchase price after 16 years.
BTW, it has never been stuck in the snow even with long commutes on neglected rural roads in Northern Il.
If what you say is true then it sounds like 2WD would be the better choice and you could just weigh the backend down in winter with the thousands of dollars in change you saved at the purchase!
Of course when towing a travel trailer, it is always best to tow it south before the first big snowfall.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Towed Scamp 5er with a 2007 Frontier 2wd 6' bed

We towed a Scamp 5th-wheel with a Nissan Frontier 6-cyl, 2wd with no problems. We like driving and parking it better than the Silverado it replaced. Both were 2wd and I lived in CO and MA and sometimes in winter placed a few bags of concrete over the axles.

According to Nissan, the same model 2wd has 200lbs greater towing and payload capacity than the 4wd. I believe this is because the 4wds have to haul their own extra 200lbs of gross weight.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm having trouble NOT selling my 2wd truck with offers on a regular basis, some approaching half the original purchase price after 16 years.
No doubt - you have taken care of that truck and a lot of people liked the little Ranger and wish it would come back.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #26

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I have a four wheel drive, because that is what's available here in Southern Minnesota. I replaced a
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with the Frontier. Before that, I owned 5 two wheel drive pickups in Colorado, Montana and here in Minnesota. I think that tire choice is almost as important for winter driving as a powered front axle. Beware that newer full sized pickups will require the Scamp to be lifted.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #27

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Carol in winter you load 1/2 yard of Sand in box, & A Shovel

Quote:
Same as here - you can't give them away.

2 wd tricks are light in the back end and real poor in the snow.
Then no reason to worry about getting stuck u just shovel a bit of sand under drive wheel and away you go, sacks work good to. I have owned 4wd and they can get u into to much trouble best to stay 2wd, I go over lots of 4wd roads in my old Dakota 2 wd and only one time when it had 2ply tires did I have a Problem and as soon as I got home I installed 6py tires no more problems ever again.
1990 Dodge Dakot, 120HP V6 2wd, if you saw some of the loads that truck hauled u would not believe it, plus towed single Horse trailer with horse in it around 1800#'s no problem, Towed 20' Flatbed trailer with not brakes loaded with Old 4500# truck on back no problem but real scary when trying to stop quickly.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:12 AM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I would never buy a truck without 4WD and I've had a lot of them. I never have to chain up on winter highways, and it is surprising how often it comes in handy on muddy roads or steep gravel roads. Sometimes the low range is handy for precise maneuvering too.

If you only travel on dry highways and want the lowest bed height, a 2WD is probably the best choice. If you want to explore a bit or travel winter mountain highways, 4WD is really nice. And it's much better than putting sand bags in the bed of a 2WD.

4WD is there to keep you going and get you out of unexpected trouble, not into trouble.

I never buy things so that I can re-sell them. I buy what I think is best for me at the time and for the intended use. Why buy something configured such that someone you will never meet might like it years later? Get what you need.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #29

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
No need to lift em just get a decent sized step ladder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
I have a four wheel drive, because that is what's available here in Southern Minnesota. I replaced a
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with the Frontier. Before that, I owned 5 two wheel drive pickups in Colorado, Montana and here in Minnesota. I think that tire choice is almost as important for winter driving as a powered front axle. Beware that newer full sized pickups will require the Scamp to be lifted.
:I was out showing someone some property I owned 2 years ago and as I was stepping over a tree I stepped down onto what I thought was a solid log and it was not and ended up breaking a cple of Ribs. Took me at least 1/2 hour before I got the nerve to move and when I did I almost passed out again but I made it up and looked at this guys truck which sits 53" off the ground and wondered how in the hell am I going to get into that truck and down to the Abbotsford, BC Hospital, the buyer helped to his truck then with some old pieces of wood he built a bit of a stairway and somehow managed to get me into the front seat, where I immediately Passed out. It was about a 5 hour drive tot he Hospital but I would not know as I was out cold. They managed to get me in and Xray me and lucky for me there was only 2 broken and 3 cracked. Lucky for me when we did get to the Hospital I was still out cold and I have no idea how they got me out of that truck.
The Next two months were hell then gradually it got better took a total of 6 months before I could do normal things again.
But I Look at all these trucks out on the road today and they just do not fit into parking lots, normal parking stalls, are way to high off the ground, I miss old 70's Fords and 60 and 70's GMC PU's.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:39 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
. Beware that newer full sized pickups will require the Scamp to be lifted.
I suppose it depends on the truck but from Scamps web site the ball hitch height on a Scamp 13' is about 18 inches high for the 13 foot trailer and 21 inches high for the 16 foot trailer. The very top of the hitch receiver on a new Ford F150 4x4 is about 24". The Dodge Ram 1500 is about the same maybe even a little bit lower. So one should have no problem finding a drop receiver that would work.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:02 AM   #31

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
4wd can be needs art sometimes even on just wet grass. How do I know this? Guess. I bought my first one when I could not move my 5th wheel trailer out of my packed snow driveway. Got towed out to leave for AZ and bought the 4x4 when we got home in the spring. I use it both for necessity and for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Beware that newer full sized pickups will require the Scamp to be lifted.
Quote:
I suppose it depends on the truck but from Scamps web site the ball hitch height… So one should have no problem finding a drop receiver that would work.
Carol, we're talking about a Scamp fifth wheel. As Dennis says, most newer trucks, 2WD or 4WD, do require the optional 3" axle lift for the loft to clear the bed rails. The OP is looking at two older trucks, so this may or may not be an issue.

To the OP, this may influence your decision between the Chevy and the Ranger. Does the Scamp 19 you are buying have the lift? Measure the bed rail height on both trucks and contact Scamp to find out whether they will work with your trailer.

Separately, I was wondering whether the Ranger has the 3.0L or the 4.0L. No personal experience, but I have read a couple of posts that suggested the larger engine was a better match with a Scamp 19 and its fairly large frontal profile. It may depend on where you tow. Flats are one thing; mountains and high elevations another. Ranger fans… any comments?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #33

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I would recommend that JmR look at the spreadsheet with trailer and tow vehicle mileage info, or the one about vehicle weights and look at what is used to tow the S19's. I happily tow with a 2013 Tacoma 4 liter, 4 Door (for plenty of room inside for the two of us and "stuff"). The 4 Wheel drive is handy here during Vermont winters and also while camping, it is good on sites that are uneven and may have wet grass, or steep gravel driveways. Whenever I hear a slipping tire, I think about all that rubber is left behind.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Carol, we're talking about a Scamp fifth wheel. As Dennis says, most newer trucks, 2WD or 4WD, do require the optional 3" axle lift for the loft to clear the bed rails. The OP is looking at two older trucks, so this may or may not be an issue.

Thanks Jon, your correct I wasn't thinking a fifth wheel.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I am a fan boy of 4WD so my opinion is very biased. First thing I would do in your situation is call Scamp and see if there are trucks that don't work well with the Scamp 5th wheel. Short beds and long beds come to mind as does the height and depth of the bed.

If you park on wet grass with a slight incline someday you will wish you had 4wd.

Now forget towing with 2wd or 4wd. they both tow.

The real reason for getting 4wd is the very reason you are getting the Scamp trailer. You want to travel and explore the country before you leave it. Once you park your trailer are you going to go venture off or are you going to just sit there and wait to drive to the next campground.

The back roads of utah with canyonlands and arches national park.

Death valley going to the raceway or through Titus canyon.

Quartzsite back roads or even in the rain.

and so many areas spread throughout the vast country are all better with a 4wd truck.

Sure you can go in 2wd and beat the snot out of you and your truck but with a 4x4 you can do it much safer and with a truck designed to take the roughness of off pavement travel.

I've never known anyone that had 4wd pick-up and regretted it but I have know several that they wished they had bought a 4wd instead of 2wd.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I bought a new Ranger before they went out of production in 2011, my third one. It was to be my retirement vehicle. So far I have less than 2000 KM on the odometer. Today I retire and start driving my Ranger.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #37

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
I tow with an '02 Tundra and am very happy with it as a daily driver and as a tow vehicle. I bought it new and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I take decent care of it but don't baby it.

This is the first generation model, which I believe was produced through 2007. What drew me to it when I bought it, and it's even more true today, is that it's a size smaller than it's GM and Ford competitors. In fact, it's not much bigger than the current Tacoma. It's very maneuverable, has a higher ground clearance than its contemporaries and pulls our 17' Casita easily.

My truck is 2wd. I don't disagree with what you guys are saying about 4wd, but I live in flat, snowless S. Florida and have never had a need for it.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #38

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
The Chevy. Has the power, has positrac and will tow bigger campers should you upgrade in the future.
Colorado V8!
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #39

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I bought a new Ranger before they went out of production in 2011, my third one. It was to be my retirement vehicle. So far I have less than 2000 KM on the odometer. Today I retire and start driving my Ranger.
Congratulations to both events.
When I retired and was ready to tow a camper, the only small/medium pickups were Tacomas and Frontiers. The other brands were gone (temporarily), since they thought they knew better (also temporarily). Tacoma was eating their lunch and it became my first non-domestic new vehicle. Just commenting on the situation.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #40

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Thanks Paul. I've been looking forward to retirement for a long time. I postponed it for several years because I enjoyed working but now its time. When I subtracted my pension from my salary I realized I was working for nothing. I've been trailering for over 40 years and tried all sorts of combinations. What you can do and what you should do aren't always the same thing. I've dry camped in the winter in the mountains with the four wheels on my tow vehicle and my trailer chained up! No more of that. Now I tow a 3500 lb trailer with a 3/4 diesel. Even with my ATVs on the truck and towing my trailer I'm still only 1/2 capacity. A heavy truck is much better for towing if it's windy. A lighter tow vehicle uses just as much fuel as it has to work harder. Enjoy your travels!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp