UHaul CT No Title - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Name: Kat
Trailer: UHaul
Florida
UHaul CT No Title

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum, from Florida, and just acquired a UHaul camper and super excited. Unfortunately I think I did a stupid thing, which it to buy on with no title and no registration. I got it on ebay from someone who I believe is honest but very clueless and did not even know that a camper needs to be registered in Florida. He has told me he would refund my money if I can't get it registered and blah blah blah, that's beside the point right now. My question is, is there any possible way to get this baby titled. I have a bill of sale from the previous owner. The only numbers I can find on the camper are the number on the silver tag, which is NOT a VIN number, and one under the axle, which I think it the original UHaul VIN, not a DOT official 17 digit VIN. I have been over every inch of the tongue, the frame, the underneath, the little tube (not there), the cabinet doors, all over the inside, and everywhere that people say to look, so unless you are going to suggest some place to look that is not a common place, PLEASE don't suggest it again. Anybody out there have any advice to give? Please don't suggest obvious things. I'm pretty sure I have done all those, even emailed UHaul to see if they have any record of it. The FLDMV are very unhelpful. The only potentially real solution I have heard is that I would have to make a petition to a judge. Thanks in advance for help.
kmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Well, let's see, you could ..
but, you probably already did.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I think some people have titled it in Maine and then transferred. Bob will likely stop by and tell you how it has been done before.

CindyL
CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kat to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Don't beat yourself up to badly. You're not the first to do this and likely not the last.

We do have members here that may be able to get you ideas to a solution to your problem. Be patient, someone (or 2 or 3) will be along shortly.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
You might look into whether you can do a bonded title in Florida. And whether you want one.

We ran into a kind of similar situation in Michigan when we went to look for our first fiberglass trailer. The seller had an out of state title signed over to someone else. He didn't think you needed to title a travel trailer in Michigan. I thought we did. So we all went to the Secretary of State office together. And they said a title was required in Michigan and a bonded title was our only option. After a couple of years if no one came forward to claim the trailer, then we could apply for a regular title.

We decided to look for a trailer with a clear title.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I believe Uhaul did not use enough numbers for them to be considered a "standard" VIN as is used now. I'm not home for another month (in Florida actually) so can't count the numbers on mine. I do know that the numbers on mine were on that silver tag on the left front near the reflector. Part of that tag was missing so the numbers were also on what looks like that old label maker tape and it was stuck on the front window frame. Possibly added because the silver tag was damaged?? I have heard that it is easy to register a trailer in Maine by mail or online. Don't know what, if any, paperwork is involved, and if it will result in a title being issued or only a registration paper. You could, I suppose, keep it registered in Maine. Resolving issues like this varies depending on your state DMV, and sometimes even who you talk to there and on what day. In other words, the answer today may be different from another clerk tomorrow. Been there, done that, and had it work. Does Florida DMV have a "Home made" option, or any options for a lost title. Some states don't require titles for certain trailers. Sounds like the number of characters in that silver tag may be part of the problem, as I believe another Uhaul owner may have had that issue. I have heard the VIN may also be stamped on the tongue but covered with paint
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I can tell you with complete certainty that for any trailer under 2000lbs in Florida all you need is the Registration and Bill of Sale - which should be on the same paper - same size as a car Registration.

Trailers under 2000lbs are not titled in Florida.

If you don't have a registration Register it as a "Homebuilt".

All you will need then is your Bill of Sale and a Certified Weight Certificate gotten from a recognized weigh station.

Call your local Tax Collector to verify (and get the name of a weigh station if they are being helpful).

Get a temp tag if you don't want to risk towing it to the weigh station.

Good luck and let us know when that's done
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

If what Clive works (and I hope it does), the time you're going to have issues is if/when you go to sell. For instance, Oregon requires a title for these little trailers. There are people who will never consider a trailer without it having a clear title. You may want to take care of the title stuff while everything is fresh in your mind. Unless you're never going to sell... at least to no one out of state.

Best of luck!
Old 02-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...Oregon requires a title for these little trailers. There are people who will never consider a trailer without it having a clear title.
Vermont will not give me a title for my trailer. It's too small. I was concerned at first but what I found was that many states will allow you to register without a title if the trailer comes from a non-title state and you have certain support documentation. That said, I suspect there is enough demand for these trailers that selling in state won't be hard to do as long as it's legally registered.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Vermont will not give me a title for my trailer. It's too small. I was concerned at first but what I found was that many states will allow you to register without a title if the trailer comes from a non-title state and you have certain support documentation. That said, I suspect there is enough demand for these trailers that selling in state won't be hard to do as long as it's legally registered.
Absolutely true. There are always circumstances unforeseen however. I'd need to search, but there was a gal and hubby that had a Boler and lived in some "don't need/can't get a title" state. Moved to Oregon... guess what happened? I think they ended up selling the trailer to someone "back home," because they couldn't title/register it in Oregon.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
try "international title service", I have heard they usually give positive results
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Absolutely true. There are always circumstances unforeseen however. I'd need to search, but there was a gal and hubby that had a Boler and lived in some "don't need/can't get a title" state. Moved to Oregon... guess what happened? I think they ended up selling the trailer to someone "back home," because they couldn't title/register it in Oregon.
I guess that means when the time comes you won't be buying my Trillium to add to your herd. Raz
Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I guess that means when the time comes you won't be buying my Trillium to add to your herd. Raz
Probably not.

I just think it's important we provide information to newbies about possible future issues. Then it's up to the individual to make an informed decision.

Lots of folks don't have titles for their trailers and it works just fine for them. In Oregon, a Bill of Sale is used for a horse, not something with a VIN.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #14

Name: dawn
Trailer: U haul ct 13
West Virginia
What Clive suggests is 100% true. I used to work for the FL DMV. Trailers under 2000lbs are not titled, only registered. Get a weight slip from a local dump/transfer station, apply for homemade trailer and they will issue you a vin, registration and plate. As far as Donnas concern of future sale issues, I would not be concerned. Every state has their own way of doing things but every state also accommodates out of state purchases and the way things were done there. We in fact moved to a state that does title trailers under 2000lbs. Because FL law was registration only, we were required to show that as proof of ownership and the new state then issued a title. We have done this for several trailers. Vice versa, if you move into FL or make an out of state purchase and get a title for a trailer under 2000lbs for instance, when you go to your dmv in FL they will require you to turn in the title and you will be issued only a registration.Your not stuck just because laws in your state may differ in others. Each dmv has a huge book full of every states laws that we would have to look up often and reference how to process titles/registrations when someone moves from out of state or makes an out of state purchase with different laws. To touch on another reference to title it in Maine or another state because they may be easier to title....most states do require you to be a resident with state id or drivers license to register, title and tag a vehicle so I'm not sure this suggestion is feasible.
WV Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Maine does not require that you be a resident to register a trailer in their state.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Maine does not require that you be a resident to register a trailer in their state.
When I was working in the trucking industry I noticed many of the commercial trailers were registered in Maine. Probably for tax purposes.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #17

Name: dawn
Trailer: U haul ct 13
West Virginia
Good to know Maine is an option then. I know in FL they also didnt used to require you to be a resident to register your vehicle there. Mainly the snowbirds would do this because they resided in two states throughout the year, but with the stricter identification laws post 9-11 and only being allowed to hold one drivers license or state id at a time now... it forced alot of people to choose one state for their id/license and in turn many had to re-register vehicles in those respective states instead of FL. Again, every state has their own way of handling things and sounds like Maine is lax on this. Still, there should be no reason to have to go to these measures since there is no title for trailers under 2000lbs which is where the poster resides.
WV Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #18
Raz

Quote:
As far as Donnas concern of future sale issues, I would not be concerned. Every state has their own way of doing things but every state also accommodates out of state purchases and the way things were done there
Quote:
Each dmv has a huge book full of every states laws that we would have to look up often and reference how to process titles/registrations when someone moves from out of state or makes an out of state purchase with different laws.
I thought ownership in one state is protected when you move to another by the Constitution ( full faith and credit). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clarify. What hoops Oregon makes a current resident jump through are of course different than a new arrival. Raz
Old 03-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #19

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Another option is a "Mechanics Lien".

In Tennessee there are 2 ways to register and old vehicle/trailer without a title/registration and just a bill of sale from the previous owner.

Method #1 is exclusive to 30+ year old vehicles/trailers/motorcycles or later model vehicles/trailers/motorcycles worth less than $3K. This "Tennessee Code Annotated" was instituted into law to help solve the issues of registration of old vehicles/trailers/motorcycles where paperwork was lost or never existed depending upon the registration requirements in the past.

Method #2 is an option for any year vehicle/trailer/motorcycle.

Both of these options are for none stolen vehicles/trailers. Method #2 also deals with the situation of a lien on the vehicle/trailer.

Method #1.

Certificate of Ownership (Go online to the State of Tennessee Department of Revenue website/vehicle registration/forms) and look at the the Certificate of Ownership form for requirements and exclusions.

Method #2.

Call your local "Title Guy" who can file a Mechanics Lien on the vehicle or trailer. The vehicle/trailer will go through the LEGAL lien process (assuming not stolen) and ultimately you can receive legal lien sale paperwork that will allow you to register and title the vehicle/title in your name.

In method 1 YOU the person applying for the Certification of Ownership are providing the "Guaranty" on the title and could have to defend the title if there are currently lien holders or previous owners with a legal ownership claim.

With option 2 you have none of those responsibilities to defend the title however you could lose the vehicle/trailer to previous owner who chooses to pay of the mechanics lien and reclaim their property as the previous owner has that right to reclaim their property by paying the lien. Just remember this previous owner could have legally sold the vehicle/trailer to someone who did not registrer/title the vehicles and NOW realizes they have chance to reclaim the vehicle/trailer for very little money that might be owed to satisfy the lien and might choose to "Double Dip" and reclaim their property as they are still the legal registered owner of the asset.

Just remember the SINGLE BIGGEST REASON you will see vehicles in particular and trailer's in some instances advertised with "No Title" is that the seller does not have a title at all because the title for that vehicle/trailer has been "Pawned" at the local title loan shark for money at which point the seller is now committing FRAUD by selling "Mortgaged Property". Of course another reasons for trailer's in particular not have a title is that some states do not require a title for a trailer.

Many times the lowlifes that do the "Title Pawn" scam will pawn the same vehicle title that is in their name multiple times. Each time they go to the local title office and get a "Duplicate" title and once again go and pawn that duplicate title. Do this 6-7 times in a week and you can quite a bit of money as the lowlifes know that the title pawn loan shark will not register their lien quickly allowing them to continue the scam. And all this is on top of already selling the vehicle/trailer to some unsuspecting sap on Craigslist!

On top of that you have to deal with all the "Curbstoner's" who are illegally selling vehicles/trailer "Open Title" which means that are not the legal owner of the vehicle/trailer. They have legally "purchased" the vehicle/trailer however they are not the legal owner as they have not registered the vehicle/trailer in their name and they are NOW reselling the item stepping their local state's registration and taxation process. Basically playing "Car Dealer" without a license!

Pretty sad how low many of our fellow citizens have become in the chase for the almighty Dollar!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title, uhaul