Bigfoot Ceiling Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Name: Cecil
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Bigfoot Ceiling Replacement

I recently purchased a 12' Bigfoot, lots of water damage in the ceiling, so much so, it needs to be replaced 😒. I'm looking for any advice on this project! I'd rather not have to take it to a dealer type shop, cost way too much! I'm capable of doing the work, just don't know where to start.... When I say the ceiling needs to be replaced I mean everything, including all the ribs. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
cechardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
For best results post some photos. Welcome to the forum. How about an exterior photo too.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cechardy View Post
I recently purchased a 12' Bigfoot, lots of water damage in the ceiling, so much so, it needs to be replaced 😒. I'm looking for any advice on this project! I'd rather not have to take it to a dealer type shop, cost way too much! I'm capable of doing the work, just don't know where to start.... When I say the ceiling needs to be replaced I mean everything, including all the ribs. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1472083113.009721.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	98914
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1472083129.813816.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  12.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1472083154.419671.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  10.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1472083184.364620.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  12.9 KB

Old 08-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Alberta
I don't have any exterior photos at this point.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What year and model is this Bigfoot? There's stuff in the archives that I may be able to point you to, but I don't want to waste your time if it's the wrong build type.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #6

Alberta
It's a 12' 1980, not sure of the model

Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
That is a 17' gaucho model. Has the exterior roof collapsed to cause what is in the photos or has the interior luan plywood and foam separated from the fiberglass?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #8

Alberta
This unit sat for quite some time, according to the PO, upwards of 16 years. The vent cover sustained hail damage and water got between the roof and ceiling. There is some sag around the vent, guessing around 2". I am assuming the ribs have rotted away and that's what we're seeing in the photos. I plan to take one of the panels off this weekend and have a better look. Appears to be the same thing with the bathroom ceiling/vent.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
We need Donna to the rescue ! Just recently someone posted excellent pictures of a renovation wherein he replaced all of the framing for the roof. Help Donna. I don't remember where it was but am looking for it. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Ceiling problem

I found it now if I can just post the link Bigfoot sagged roof restoration. Well couldn't get the link to post but go to the home page click on Bigfoot and page down about 20 or so post and you will find " Bigfoot sagged roof restoration" posted 7 31 2016 . Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Are the walls and floor solid ? If the roof leaked for a long time I would suspect there may be more damage.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:36 AM   #12

Alberta
I'm going to be picking it up again tonight, start looking deeper tomorrow. I'll post some pictures of what I find.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:37 AM   #13

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
I found it now if I can just post the link Bigfoot sagged roof restoration. Well couldn't get the link to post but go to the home page click on Bigfoot and page down about 20 or so post and you will find " Bigfoot sagged roof restoration" posted 7 31 2016 . Lee

I found the post you're referring to. Lots of great info on that one! Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #14

Alberta
I started on this project today, and it turns out, there are no support "rafters" in this unit? The ceiling consists of only styrofoam glued to the fibreglass and panels glued to that. This should make this job a lot easier than anticipated!

Old 09-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #15

Name: Tom
California
Registry
Quote:
I started on this project today, and it turns out, there are no support "rafters" in this unit? The ceiling consists of only styrofoam glued to the fibreglass and panels glued to that. This should make this job a lot easier than anticipated!

good luck/skill, and post up pics!!!
bigfootlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-74090.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Big Foot
Alberta
Sounds like we have the same trailer, cab 13ft bumper to tongue 16.3ft.
I also have some roof issues though not an emergency. I'm in Calgary. I believe there are cross members as I was on the roof installing vents last month. I would be replaceing wood with pressure treated for the structural side of things if possible.
Mac
Alberta Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

Those layers of fiberglass with foam adhered all across the surface followed by another layer of panels adhered all across the surface form what is known in the industry as a "SIP" which stands for structural insulated panel. SIPs are self supporting panels (no roof beams needed) when engineered correctly for the loads. But they can be delaminated when overloaded. That may happen if for instance a person put most of their body weight up there to work on an AC unit. Or the AC used was too heavy, very heavy snow loads, combination of such things, etc.

Rebuilding a SIP can be tricky but can be done. You need to have as close to 100% percent coverage of glue over the surface as possible to adhere materials together. Putting down rows of adhesive from a caulk gun is not sufficient for rebuilding a SIP unless those rows are spaced such that when compressed the glue spreads into that 100% coverage. Then you need to put well distributed, even compression all across the surface, done from from underneath, against the materials until the adhesive has been well cured. That means lots of spring poles that apply firm pressure all across the panels. In the factory the SIP was created while the roof was upside down and they could put weight on the SIP layers while the adhesive cured. The 100% coverage of adhesive is what gives SIPs and also stress skin panels their ability to support loads because it turns the light weight, lower strength materials into a single, thick structural unit of material.

You need to use the right adhesive for the job. You do not have absorbent materials against each other when you are dealing with foam and fiberglass. So there is no way for VOCs or water to evaporate or in the case of moisture curing glues (poyurethanes)no way for moisture to arrive from the environment. Although you can use polyurethane when gluing ridged foam to wood as wood provides its own supply of moisture if you very slightly dampen the wood surface that will kick of the polyurethane curing. But there is still some risk that the adhesive did not get enough moisture to cure and will remain soft and then the panels will delaminate.

Contact cements might be the answer or a slow curing epoxy (does not generate a lot of heat which would melt the foam). But a water based contact cement won't work unless one of the surfaces you are adhering is absorbent.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #19

Alberta
Here are a few pictures from when I took it apart
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1472949817.530584.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	99331Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1472949856.917359.jpg