OurBoler.com Red 1974 Boler Project - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #21

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Man, you are working at an inspiring pace!

Can you tell me what grit paper you use to sand the exterior for priming/painting? Also, just using orbital sander or something different? Thanks!

Slav
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #22

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I used an orbital sander. 60 and 120 grit sandpaper for it.

I was trying to get it done before summer started, as once the kids are off school I plan to be camping. However I don't think I am going to make it.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #23

Name: Bee
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
PE
Registry
Thanks for the paint info! Looking great!
Bee
Bee in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #24

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
I used an orbital sander. 60 and 120 grit sandpaper for it.

I was trying to get it done before summer started, as once the kids are off school I plan to be camping. However I don't think I am going to make it.
Cool, thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
It is really coming together, the shell is looking good. I hope you get many years of enjoyment of it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #26

Alberta
Hi Tim,

Sadly I have 2 Bolers so one will have to go. Would be nice to keep them both
Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #27

Alberta
Day 10

With our trip approaching I had very little time to spend on the the trailer, but i found an hour, so I painted the furniture and installed the fridge.

It was a hot dry day, making the paint dry quickly. 2 coats of paint where quick with a little foam roller.

Then I found a moving strap in the garage, so I used that to install the fridge.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #28

Alberta

Day 12

Using the same paint s on the Ensolite, I painted the back of the Boler Door, the storage covers and plywood for the bunk. Then I put the interior together, riveted the cabinet in.

Next I got out the table saw and installed the laminate flooring.

It is coming together!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #29

Name: Glenn
Manitoba
Perhaps this was covered in another thread, but were the vents for the original fridge glassed in, or were they just not there when you got it? the original fridge looks like the LP model. And what is the replacement fridge you're using? 12V or A/C?
Thanks

Humpty
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #30

Alberta
This trailer only had an ice box, so no vents. I have the icebox still, free to anyone who wants it. It has a cracked corner and most the seal was missing. The fridge I installed is 120 volt, so it will also act like an ice box. I haven't yet looked into the venting required, if any for this fridge.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #31

Alberta
Day 13, 14 & 15

Cleaning the windows. With the boys playing in a small pool in the backyard, I set up beside them and cleaned the windows, lots of silicon, moss and other random caulking to clean off.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #32

Alberta
Day 16 & 17

With the windows cleaned up I installed them to keep them safe and try and make more room in the garage. Butyl tape and no silicone.

I didn't bother building a screen for the window in the door, as the screen I plan to install for the door should take care of it.

I cleaned the plexi glass windows and reinstalled them. They still need a polish an a sticker removed, since I have read up on how to attempt that. A couple screw drivers made it much easier than I expected to get the windows in, but I haven't yet tackled the lock strip.

Looking for other backyard projects (so I can stay close to the boys), and gathered up a few parts to paint.

I also dug out the mould I made to replicate the boler emblem for my other trailer, as this trailer has no Boler markings I made a couple with some left over plastic, and added them to the painting pile.

Everything I spray painted I primered first, and clear coated after, hoping it will last and look good longer.

I removed the hardware from the cabinet doors, using steel wool to clean off any paint that made it onto them over the years. In the processed I discovered they where once pink. I also took the pink stick on tiles and brass trim off the table. The tiles I toss out, while the brass trim is being painted to match the aluminum in the trailer.

I made a shelf to go on top of the fridge for dry food, once installed I riveted in the kitchen and added a stick on tile back splash. The windows had large wooded frames, so I used a trim meant for replacing the caulking on bathtubs. I looks better in person than it does in the photo.

I also reattached the cabinet door hardware and installed the doors.

I bolted on new safety chains.

As I installed these parts I also ran the wires, which should make the electrical easier later.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #33

Name: Tera
British Columbia
Did you take a measurement between the counter top and the upper cupboards, left to right front and back before you dismantled it? What are the measurements if you did?
Tera Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #34

Alberta
I didn't take any measurements, as I used the old rivet holes to line everything up. Side to side should line up, the only distance you should need is the distance above the counter, if you have the matal supports they will give you this distance. I will measure this today as I plan to work on the trailer.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #35

Name: Tera
British Columbia
Thanks for taking the measurements for me! I do not have the metal supports, they were already removed from a prior reno from the previous owner and not replaced! there are no guide holes to go from. I almost had my upper cabinets break totally free from the rivets. I will have to get some metal supports made which is why I would like the measurements.

Thanks again.
Tera Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #36

Alberta
52 cm is the measurement once the bar is installed. this is from the counter to the bottom of the cabinet.

My other Boler was missing these supports. I picked up a curtain rod from ikea, cut it to size and used this to support the roof. It has worked great, inexpensive and matches the wrap around curtain rod I installed. For the top I used a hole saw to make a round cut in a piece of wood to hold the top in place, and I drilled a hole in the counter for the screw it came with to hold it in place on the bottom.

LED marker Lights and a roof support | Family Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #37

Alberta
Day 18

I cut out the countertop material, and the same material for the top of the table.

I painted the rims white, felt it suited the trailer better.

I cut some plywood, to make the base for the bunk bed cushions. The idea is not to sew, while helping the cushions breath, and making sure they are all removable for storage. Then painted it up.

I found striped fabric, with a red that matches the other cushions, and other colors that in my mid stay with a vintage feel.

Day 19

Install the rims on the trailer.

I cut the foam a little bigger than the board. Then wrapped and stapled the fabric. It was much easier than I expected.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #38

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Chris, you are doing a great job on your Boler redo and informationally in this thread. Thank you for all your pics and sharing this with us all. Can't wait to see the finished product! Love the color choices also.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #39

Name: Martin
Ontario
Nice work looks great. Don't know how you manage to have two Bolers. Working on one is eating up all of my time. My lawn is so long I can't find the dog, the car needs washed, the hedges need clipped etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #40

Alberta
I have been neglecting the Green Boler to work on the Red one. But the Green boler still made it out for 4 weeks of camping this year.

Tags
boler