Manitoba Boler requires axle replacement. Recommended Shops? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Winnipeg factory
Done the usual searches, read the threads.
We've basically come to the decision to hire someone to do the job...

We live in Winnipeg. We're willing to travel within a reasonable radius to get the job done. "Reasonable" is naturally influenced by expertise, efficiency, and, to some degree, cost.

It would be really great if we could identify someone local who knows these trailers and the complications attendant on getting a modern axle under the old frame.

Please help us out - we'd really like to do some travelling in earnest this summer!
Tom and Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Hi I used to be a Winnipeger but now I am from beautiful British Columbia anyway I know of fellow Boler owners who purchased a new axle from Princess Auto You have to cut it and make it shorter if you can do that maybe buy it there and have some one shorten it for you ,they are not that hard to install or change,what is actually wrong with your axle I used to own a Boler till last week sold her for 6 g's We had her for 20 years in our family I bought a 17 ft Bigfoot but I will try it out this year will probably be back in a Boler some day but it wont be the same,anyway good luck on the axle...
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Winnipeg factory
Quote:
Hi I used to be a Winnipeger but now I am from beautiful British Columbia anyway I know of fellow Boler owners who purchased a new axle from Princess Auto You have to cut it and make it shorter if you can do that maybe buy it there and have some one shorten it for you ,they are not that hard to install or change,what is actually wrong with your axle I used to own a Boler till last week sold her for 6 g's We had her for 20 years in our family I bought a 17 ft Bigfoot but I will try it out this year will probably be back in a Boler some day but it wont be the same,anyway good luck on the axle...
Thanks Rick!

What's wrong with ours? It's definitely toast. The original axle is sitting at like 45 degrees up or something. The only "suspension" is the sidewall of the tire...

I wondered if those Princess Auto units might work. I'll have to look into them again.

[b]Still looking for an installer that knows these campers!
Tom and Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Tom and Colleen... You would certainly think that in the home town of Bolers you could find someone; really good RV or trailer repair shop, that could order/install a Dexter Torflex# 9 2200 lb. axle. The tough part is converting from leading to trailing arms if thats necessary!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Hi Tom and Colleen,

I have had a similar problem with our 74 Winnipeg Boler that we got last year. The axle rides up at about 45 degrees no matter whether there is a tire on it or not. I decided to get a new one and have been researching it for several months.

The good news: our old axle came off fairly easily because it was held on by the 4 bolts that it originally came with, which were not badly rusted.

The less good news: I thought we would try Standen's in Edmonton (where we live), since Standen's used to make Boler axles back in the day. I phoned them up and they knew what I wanted. I took my old axle in for use as a model (one person can carry it fairly easily) and they built me a new one from Flexride components, for $375 including taxes. I kept the leading arm configuration so that I could just bolt it back on instead of having it welded, which I cannot do at home.

Unfortunately, when I got the new axle home, it did not fit. The Flexride torsion bar is too wide compared to the original torsion bar, and so it hits against the frame where the floor of the trailer drops down, which meant that the mounting holes were off by a half inch. Also, the leading arms were too short, which meant that the wheel would have been rubbing against the back wheel well instead of rolling in the centre. Not ideal.

So, I took the axle back to Standen's who told me they could only assemble pre-made components and so could not adjust the axle to fit. They refunded my money, somewhat reluctantly, and I was left with the original axle again.

What to do? the better news:

So, I gave Paul Neumeister a call in Ontario. He is having new Boler axles custom built by Dexter to his specifications, including the leading arm. After I showed him pictures by email and we talked for a while and took some measurements, he felt that his axle should fit my Boler (which is a completely normal Boler with no frame modifications whatsoever). His price, including shipping from Ontario, was only a bit more than my original Standen's price. However, I am confident it will fit, which makes it a much better deal.

I have not yet got the axle, should get it in a week or so. However, from my research it appears that Paul is the only place in Canada to get a completely stock new Boler axle so that you don't have to do any welding. His website is at http://www.fibreglass-rv.ca/

Hope that helps.
Rick G, Edmonton
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Rick, that is great to know! I like the idea of keeping the original configuration so that everything fits, and I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

So far, my axle seems good, but I'm sure I'll replace it at some point.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

1) How many pounds did you have it "rubbered" for? Did Paul recommend a number? Did you go with that or come up with your own?

2) Did you order the new axle with brakes? Were they an option?

Thanks,

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
One option might be ....(and this worked for me here in B.C.) to talk to some local hot-rodders. Especially ones who tow trailers. (MSRA, or Manitoba Street Rod Association)

Many rodders out here go to a spring/suspension shop for work on their cars/trailers. IF they don't have one to fit your trailer, thay can usually make one to custom fit your specific application....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #8

Name: Bijou
Trailer: 1973-13ft Boler
Manitoba
I realize I am adding to an old thread here but thought I'd mention that I am in Winnipeg and replacing the axle on my 13' Boler. At first I contacted Dexter to see if I could purchase one directly from them but after a couple attempts they did not get back to me. Unbolted my axle and visited a few trailer shops in town, quoted anywhere from $350-600 for axle alone. Ended up going to Metro Trailers and they happened to have the exact match sitting right there. They had ordered one for a customer and one extra from Dexter. Talk about lucky. Charged me $270 plus tax and now I just have to bolt it on.
bijou72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, boler