Cabinet Upgrade for Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #1

Name: Chantelle
Trailer: Boler
California
Cabinet Upgrade for Boler

Hi there! We are just beginning our Reno of our 1975 Boler. The entire inside needs mostly aesthetic updates. Just wondering if anyone here has updates their cabinets and if so what type of wood/board did you use and any recommendations for new hardware. We live in Northern Ontario (ish...Barrie) so we get big temp fluctuations all year so trying to be conscious of things expanding/shifting as the trailor is stored outside. Any help or ideas are appreciate!!
ChantelleLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Cabinets

I replaced the original fiberglass cabinets in our 1971 Boler with custom wood cabinets running the full length of the driver side instead of just over the kitchenette area. I used 1x2 to build face frames and the bottom box that supports the shelf, 1/4 plywood for the shelf, and 1x2s ripped in half, drilled and screwed to the inside of box for to make a sturdy lip for the shelf to rest on. Dowel joinery to hold it all together. I screwed the far right side of the frame to wood wall of our front bath and the rear left frame to the 1x2 that runs across the back which is for the rear cabinet over the rear window which is glassed to the shell in the back corners.

On the doors I used 1x2s for the stiles and rails, and routed the inside edge of the frame for the 1/4" plywood panel to set into. All held together with dowels except the lip for the shelf I used screws. Nothing fancy just nice looking sturdy construction.

This one build is all finished but I need to take it back out and stain it but I am waiting on that until I finished the rear overhead cabinet and the one I am putting over the window next to where the closet was. I also removed the closed and built a custom cabinet there to hold our 1.6 cu ft refrigerator and toaster oven. The front bath I added in place of the original front bunks. There is one lower bunk now where the kitchette was and the foot area for this bunk goes up underneath the sink arear of the bathroom. I reversed the bath from what Scamp and Casita to allowed us to keep the lower bunk. I like to think outside of the box .

Our bath had a utility tub shower but it was a pain with the shower curtain so I am now in the process of converting the entire inside of the bathroom to a wet bath, but since our toilet is on the opposite side I can't use a standard Scamp shower pan so it will be an all custom build.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170205_144558654_HDR.jpg   IMG_20170205_144653416.jpg  

IMG_20170205_144727023_HDR.jpg   IMG_20170205_144734361.jpg  

IMG_20170205_144748265.jpg   IMG_20170205_144754837.jpg  

IMG_20170205_144817598_HDR.jpg   IMG_20170205_144838015_HDR.jpg  

IMG_20170205_144853064_HDR.jpg   IMG_20170205_144711457.jpg  

Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Are those screws / bolts / rivets that hold the bottom of the box frame on the outside wall?
How did you give it a finish look on the outside of camper?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
There are several mods in this thread that may give you some ideas.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-55601.html
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Are those screws / bolts / rivets that hold the bottom of the box frame on the outside wall?
How did you give it a finish look on the outside of camper?
Gerry there are no holes through the camper shell. I glassed over all the rivet holes exept for the windows and hatches to reduce potential leaks. The bath walls are anchored to tabs that I fiberglassed to the inside shell. I also glassed tabs to anchor the fridge cabinet to. I glassed another 1x2 to the shell where the rear overhead cabinet goes as an anchor point. All the upper cabinets are anchored to only the bath wood walls, the 1x2 i spoke of and the wood fridge cabinet using wood screws and pre drilled holes. the screws you see under the bottom hold the 1x2 strips that i ripped in half to the inside of the box frame to give a lip for the shelf to sit on. this was to avoid router groove for the shelf. It is a very simple design but very strong, strong enough I believe I could put my roof a/c back on but not sure if I am going to do it as I have a 5000 btu unit under the side bunk and th a/c on top takes away from the vintage look that I intend to keep on the outside.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #6

Yup, I see now in the pic that it is just holding the ledger board attached to the frame. Nice job. Thinking about building 2 open shelves between back cabinet and pantry cabinet on street side and closet cabinet on ditch side of my Boler1300 but wife is not on board with this idea yet.
I will build a mock up and place it inside before I attach it and see if she like it...If not I will sell it or scrap it.
again Nice job
Old 02-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Yup, I see now in the pic that it is just holding the ledger board attached to the frame. Nice job. Thinking about building 2 open shelves between back cabinet and pantry cabinet on street side and closet cabinet on ditch side of my Boler1300 but wife is not on board with this idea yet.
I will build a mock up and place it inside before I attach it and see if she like it...If not I will sell it or scrap it.
again Nice job
Gerry, the link in my above post has pic and construction details on how I did hat you are talking about starting about post #88. It is just a little more elaborate than what you want.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #8

thanks Fred, it's a bit more of a job then I would need to do.
I will just place ledgers with open shelves with a rail or netting.
I'm thinking it will just be holding folded cloths. Right now we cram all our cloths in the back cabinet and it gets a bit tight if going for more then a week.

Tags
boler