Towing feedback needed from Casita & Scamp owners. The sooner the pretty please :-) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #41

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
When researching the towing capacity of a vehicle, be sure to check the gearing of the rear end...some models of the same vehicle can vary greatly - if geared for fuel economy versus load carrying. My RAM truck gets up to 23 - 25 MPG, and around 18 MPG towing my 13' Burro, but a different gear ration version has 40% higer weight towing capacity.

I towed with a (15-year old) 4-cylinder Toyota Highlander for a couple of years - plenty of power to pull the Burro - but in the end the transmission 'bought the farm' - froze up. Some vehicles just aren't designed for towing.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #42
c65

Name: Brian
Trailer: Casita
California
I towed my 17' Casita with my 2013 Mustang V6 over 4000 miles averaging over 21 mpg (Canadian) travelling the Appalachian Mountains of the Western Carolinas, Tennessee,Kentucky and West Virginia. I had no problems with the car or trailer. I used a equalizer hitch.
c65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #43

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I can tow my 26 ft, 3400 lb trailer with my 2.3 I4 Ranger but only on the flat lands, never up hill and it takes a while to get up to highway speed! Oh, and it burns more fuel than my 3/4 diesel.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #44

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I bought a 1975 UT orange 2300 Pinto from a family member in 1978. It was one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I did get the recall and had it painted British racing green. It would not be a good choice to pull a trailer!
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #45

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
i bought a 1975 ut orange 2300 pinto from a family member in 1978. It was one of the best vehicles i have ever owned. I did get the recall and had it painted british racing green. It would not be a good choice to pull a trailer!
danger unexploded pinto!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #46

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
towing

boy if you want to get into opinions get towing comments. I have pulled huge boats well a 20f I/o heavy fiberglass boat with a family Pontiac no trailer brakes. Cars and trucks have gears they are put there for a reason come to a hill drop down if its real steep you have to gear down again. Don't expect to climb a hill at hiway speeds use common sense.

When I ran my 40f bus there were times I was in 2nd gear going up and that was my gear going down. Ask any truck driver this? Towing is a common sense thing use your tv for braking not your brakes again that is what a transmission is for ask your friendly truck driver about double clutching with a manual. an auto transmission is used the same way use gears not brakes for braking. your brakes and transmission will thank you!

The only tt I had was a 32f 5th wheel to come equipped with extra brakes but I hardly used them I used the truck and its weight for braking. Remember towing 1200 or over pounds calls for thinking while driving there is no shame in climbing a hill or going down the hill slowly you will finally get there not tired and worn out fighting speed!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #47

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
...Oh, and it burns more fuel than my 3/4 diesel.
3/4 diesel, what's the other 1/4? Just kidding.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #48

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
People will not listen to your methods. this is why transmissions whatever you have has gears in it. Watch the big boys on hills they are constantly anticipating hills and gearing down to make it.

same applies to us trailers and our tugs use the gears!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp