Camper Length - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Scamp 16
Georgia
Camper Length

Hi...recently retired and just got a nice deal on a 1998 Scamp which is pretty much bare bones having only a bed and an a/c unit. My first question has to do with size of the unit...it measures 16 ft rear bumper to tip of hitch...the camper body is only about 13 ft...does this men it is a 16 or a 13? Second, I'd like to add a few amenities like an awning, a porta-potty, a stove, cabinets/table and sink...is there a catalog I need to look at or any outfit near Atlanta GA that does modifications? Thanks in advance for any input.
Dosrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It is a 16'. I know it can be confusing because the RV industry with TTs and 5th wheels starting measuring box size and using that number which is deceptive in my opinion, a 21BHS in a stick trailer would be at least 24 foot, much bigger than a 21 BHS in the last century.

On buying additional items, I would check what your Wal-Mart store has first and/or online as they do carry several RV items now at probably the best prices. Amazon online is another good source after Wal-Mart. You can look at Camping World, but their prices run high in my mind anyway.

You can also check for "RV salvage" for bigger items.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bit of history, as I understand it... In the early days of travel trailers, everyone designated models by total length. Airstream and molded fiberglass manufacturers still do it that way. At some point, conventional (stick-built) manufacturers started designating models by cabin length. Makes it a little confusing when folks first come into the molded fiberglass world, or when cross-shopping different build types.

Enjoy that 16' Scamp!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
When it comes to building out a semi-gutted trailer, a lot depends on your budget, time, and skill set.

Appliances are standard RV products. You can look locally, online, and through RV salvage yards, new or used. Sounds like you may also have wiring and plumbing to think about.

Options to rebuild the interior cabinetry:
1. Build cabinets yourself from scratch. I'd caution against using ready-made residential cabinets- they'll quickly get too heavy. RV cabinets are built differently for light weight.
2. Look for salvaged parts from old Scamps. This is a long shot. There aren't that many out there, they last forever, and people hang onto them.
3. Order new fiberglass pieces from Scamp and install them yourself. Shipping will be expensive.
4. Take the trailer to the Scamp factory and let them do it. That means a long trip, but by most accounts it will be cheaper, maybe a lot cheaper, than paying a local RV shop to do it.

Know that many of the original cabinets helped support the shell and maintain its shape. Without them or some alternative support, the shell will tend to sag and bulge out at the waist (kinda like me ). You may end up with door fit issues and other problems.

There are many different kinds of awnings. Lots of old threads with discussions of the pros and cons and links to suppliers of different kinds. I'd recommend a "Site Search/Google" (at the bottom of the "Search" menu under your log-in information) on "awnings." You'll get plenty of reading to keep you going for hours!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Check out the Scamp store. Remember Christmas is just around the corner.

Welcome to Scamp Trailers Parts Store
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Scamp 16
Georgia
Thanks

Can't thank you all enough for the excellent input to my queries, Its the first time I used the site and am quite impressed with the helpfulness and knowledge of the membership...the humor is also much appreciated. I'll try not to be a pest but for sure will be back given the outstanding results...thanks again, Ralph

PS - that trip to the Scamp factory for updates sounds like a very viable approach... I'm retired now, what the heck)
Dosrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
I'll try not to be a pest but for sure will be back given the outstanding results...thanks again, Ralph
No such thing as a pest. Ask as many questions as you like. That said, there is a search feature that unlocks a wealth of information from past members. You'll see it just below the header. The "Google" option is the better of the two. Enjoy and welcome. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp