Elephant Skin -Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
Elephant Skin -Scamp

I only have access to the cellphone app right now. I struggle with the search function.

I have original Elephant Skin on my walls. It's in good shape. I have scrubbed it well and it is much better looking than at first.

Do any of you just paint this to get a clean and fresh look. I tried out painting inside my kitchen cabinets to see how it looks. And since I am a white paint goddess [emoji6] I'm considering just painting all the walls.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I painted mine over the last week, i did a small section with a roller/brush and found it incredibly frustrating, so gutted the trailer and sprayed it with an HVLP gun.

more details can be found here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...air-65666.html
dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Painting the Inside

After a lot of research on the interior Elephant skin lining and trying to get the surface clean and white I came to the conclusion painting was the only alternative. Researching paint I found some very interesting information. First was surface preparation, I have always used trisodium phosphate (TSP) as a cleaner but discovered that many paint manufacturers will void their warrantee if it is used. The reason appears to be related to insufficient rinsing which leaves a residue that the paint will not adhere to. The recommended cleaning agent is ammonia and water in a 1:1 ratio. The ammonia water cleaner works very well on oil, grease and stubborn stains, it also does not require rinsing and dries leaving no residue. After cleaning, and with the seam tape removed, all the seams are filled with a paintable latex caulking. I used DAP Dynaflex 230, which is and indoor outdoor caulking that is incredibly easy to work with and offers a 50-year satisfaction guarantee. The entire interior is primed using a high adhesive primer, I used Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3, this is a Rustoleum product that can be used to prime ceramic tile for painting so it should work. Over the primer use a high quality latex paint, I used Rustoleum Painter’s Touch in gloss white. The paint has currently been on for 3 years and I am extremely pleased with the look and durability at this time.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Would have to be a latex paint, any sort of enamel I would think would be too brittle for a soft surface.

While I can NOT get it "pristine" white. Use of scrub brush, LA Totally Awesome and rinse water does let me get it pretty darn white, enough that while it does not match brand new white seam tape it does not clash either.

Did not know that about TSP and paint warranties, have always considered rinsing an important part of the prep process and TSP has been my go-to cleaner for paint prep for years.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp