Cover for Scamp 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Cover for Scamp 13?

I need a cover for a Scamp 13 (no AC/no awning). Bought one through ebay that lasted < one year in the Arizona sun. Looking at one made from Sunbrella fabric, but the price makes me break out in a cold sweat. Ideas? ... Suggestions?
morz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We also bought one from ebay with a one year warranty; the cloth tore within a year and the seller wouldn't reply to phone calls or honor a warranty. Ebay buyers beware. I'll be curious to read other suggestions.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I also bought my cover from EBay. Its only been about 10 months but is holding up well. and still looks like new We have car covers made of the same fabric and they've held up to many years of use. We don't have the AZ sun but lots of CA sunshine. I don't expect the Scamp cover to last for many years, but long enough until I get a better solution. Longer term would be a metal or vinyl carport built.
I have this cover now:
Deluxe Scamp 13' Travel Trailer camper Cover w Zipper Door Access | eBay
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

Registry
I bought the $69 version of his cover. He's the one who answered the phone regarding a warranty of 1 year, told me to call back during the week, then refused to return calls or answer the phone anymore. If the cover is good quality - just know there won't be any customer support once you've paid.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What do you expect to get for $69?
I don't understand the disappointment.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Registry
No disappoint, other than telling me he will warranty the cover for a year, then not doing it.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
With eBay, that's what Feedback is for.

But, I feel your pain. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, (etc) sun can be brutal... expecially UVs. Keep your trailer well waxed. That's the best I can offer, if you don't store your trailer under a hard cover (or garage). Better yet, during those brutal temperatures.... go CAMPING where it's cool.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Registry
I did try that route. But because the purchase was 11 months old, I could no longer post feedback.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
I also bought my cover from EBay. Its only been about 10 months but is holding up well. and still looks like new We have car covers made of the same fabric and they've held up to many years of use. We don't have the AZ sun but lots of CA sunshine. I don't expect the Scamp cover to last for many years, but long enough until I get a better solution. Longer term would be a metal or vinyl carport built.
I have this cover now:
Deluxe Scamp 13' Travel Trailer camper Cover w Zipper Door Access | eBay
I have that cover in Michigan and am on my second year. Still looks like new.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
How "gentle" is that $119 cover on the fiberglass? And does it really breath so it does not get condensation on the inside?

Two things have kept me from purchasing a cover, concern that the Mich. north wind would have the cover rubbing the surface off of my FG and concern about moisture build up inside.

Get a lot of black road dust from passing cars that I would really like to avoid, not to mention UV.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
How "gentle" is that $119 cover on the fiberglass? And does it really breath so it does not get condensation on the inside?

Two things have kept me from purchasing a cover, concern that the Mich. north wind would have the cover rubbing the surface off of my FG and concern about moisture build up inside.

Get a lot of black road dust from passing cars that I would really like to avoid, not to mention UV.
The cover does not collect any moisture under it and has actually done just the opposite in the inside. I had a moisture issue inside after a major rain. Once I cracked the window just a hair and added the cover, there's been no moisture buildup inside or out. I haven't noticed any fiberglass abrassion caused by the cover. Bt I haven't yet done the floor wax yet which I plan to do soon. I may notice it after the wax job. But I'm thinking the wax will actually add a layer of protectionj and should help some. I've got the dust issue too, and the cover has really helped in keeping it cleaner. I suspect that all results will vary by geography and weather conditions.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #12

Arizona
I'm in Dallas for a few days (work related). Played hooky for a bit today and drove down to Rice and toured the Casita factory and products. While there I asked their view on covers. I was immediately given the CalMark Cover Co. brochure. They are the company which uses the Sunbrella fabric; something we've had excellent success with in detering the AZ UV rays at home (shade sails, umbrellas, paddy o'furniture). I'll just have to stop dwelling on the initial cost and write it off as an investment.

Donna's advice is best (when possible) and a primary reason for our travel trailer purchase to begin with. In fact, we just returned from the high (cool) country Sunday evening. Sadly, my bank account still indicates a strong need for me to remain gainfully employed for a few more years. I keep trying to convince them paying me to stay away and not bother anyone would increase productivity and thus be an investment.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by morz4 View Post
I'm in Dallas for a few days (work related). Played hooky for a bit today and drove down to Rice and toured the Casita factory and products. While there I asked their view on covers. I was immediately given the CalMark Cover Co. brochure. They are the company which uses the Sunbrella fabric; something we've had excellent success with in detering the AZ UV rays at home (shade sails, umbrellas, paddy o'furniture). I'll just have to stop dwelling on the initial cost and write it off as an investment.

Donna's advice is best (when possible) and a primary reason for our travel trailer purchase to begin with. In fact, we just returned from the high (cool) country Sunday evening. Sadly, my bank account still indicates a strong need for me to remain gainfully employed for a few more years. I keep trying to convince them paying me to stay away and not bother anyone would increase productivity and thus be an investment.
We camped this weekend with friends who use a Calmark cover. Their camper looked like new.
Anyone know how expensive they are?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #14

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
We camped this weekend with friends who use a Calmark cover. Their camper looked like new.
Anyone know how expensive they are?
Their website shows a Scamp cover starting at $513.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

Arizona
The email quote from CalMark's lists:

"Casita / Scamp 13 $513.00
Casita / Scamp 16 $553.00
Casita / Scamp 17 [sic] $560.00

Scamp 19’ Fifth Wheel $730.00."

Shipping is additional with approximately 4-5 weeks from order to delivery. No doubt they're worth every penny to protect the investment. We had a Sunbrella material cover made for a canoe just after we moved to Arizona six years ago. Neither the canoe nor the cover have been impacted by the brutal AZ rays.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #16

Arizona
Well, to close the loop on this at least for me ... just got off the phone from placing my order with Stan at CalMark Covers. Within moments I felt like I was speaking with a friend. He makes "tons" of Scamp and Casita covers, has more than 20 in various stages of order completion now, yet told me I'd have mine in two weeks. It's obvious he understands the need for UV protection for fiberglass in the southwest. He sings the praises of Sunbrella fabric, yet in this case was singing those praises to another member of the choir.

The $513 + shipping is an investment to care for another investment - our 13' Scamp. Should we ever decide to sell the Scamp, the cover can be part of the package. I had been reluctant to take the plunge, but I felt very good after hanging up.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #17

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp
I "bit the bullet" three years ago and ordered a CalMark cover for my 16' Scamp.
A worthy investment. In S. GA, there's plenty of hot sun and moisture most of the year. The CalMark cover truly is an asset to protect a bigger asset.
jhornsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #18

Arizona
CalMark cover delivered today!

Ordered Thursday evening, 8/29, received today ... Wow! ... great service! Quality appears to be excellent. Will (re)cover our Scamp on Saturday morning.

Thanks, CalMark!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #19

Name: jon
Washington
scamp-13 covers

hello group,
i've read the previous posts on cover experiences. i also did a little web surfing. what i'm getting is that there seem to be two apparent choices;
1 - the ebay or equivalent that is under $200 but has a short life
2 - calmark that makes a good cover for over $500 and has a 6 year warranty.

since i am in need of a cover, i was wondering if anyone has identified a 3rd or 4th choice?

i just bought this scamp and it seems to have some areas that leak (tbd) so i am hesitant to just wait it out until spring uncovered.

thanks for any replies.
jondsw
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
After reading many posts about cover options, I am determined to go talk to my husband about protecting our investment. In Utah, we are lucky enough to get loads of sun PLUS a lot of winters weather to include snow and freezing temps. If we were going to sell her within the next five years, I might think Calmark is too expensive for us but we are finishing up some projects that I think will make it hard to part with her ever! I guess I will just work a bit of OT to pay for our Christmas gift to each other this year!

Tags
scamp