New owner of 1998 Casita 16 LD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
New owner of 1998 Casita 16 LD

Just bought my Casita LD yesterday and drove it home from the camping dealership. They were not helpful at all and would not have a technician go over anything with me without a service charge.I bought it for $5400 out the door, was this a fair price?
Also, I notice a few things that I have questions about so tell me if this is the right section to ask how to questions.
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome, EJ, you are in the right section.

Congratulations on the new 'Egg'. Casitas are very nice campers. Best thing to do is post some photos with your questions to begin with. You can also use the google search feature at the top of this page to search for answers also.

There is also a Casita group that you can check out:
- Home Page
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Congratulations, that's a really good price for a Casita if it is in ok shape.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Georgia
It has some issues that I will have to tackle :
electrical wiring at the back of both brakes have been cut and cant find a electrical brake switch on trailer frame
fantastic fan not working
stove vent fan not working
water heater anode is rusted on outer surface as well as surface rust on lower area below it
poor, sloppy silicon caulking of windows and around roof vents, fan cover
the floor feel sort of flexes centerline in the camper just between the stove and fridgerator but feel solid when pounding with fist and no water stains detected.
not sure what some add-ons are used for (will have to post photos)
some exterior plastic rivet caps are missing

am going to tackle on at a time and hope for the best
Old 11-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Name: Richard
Massachusetts
Hi Outdoorsman,

I have the 95 vintage of your trailer and you got yours at a good price, if condition is as you say.

I would have the brakes serviced by a RV or marine dealer you trust.

The fans not working seems odd. Do the other electrical appliances work? Assuming you are running on battery, how is the charge? Have you checked the electrical box (it is located just behind the wheel well on the surface that would be part of the bed to your left as you enter the rig)?

Floor is probably fine.

I would get that anode out of there and take a look at what comes out of the furnace. It may need to be replaced, but they are inexpensive.

Good luck!

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #6

Georgia
I have checked the electrical box and the battery is new
everything else is working: fridge,lights both interior and exterior, stove light too.
Here are so pics Ive taken so far:
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC0169.jpg   GEDC0152.jpg  

GEDC0170.jpg   GEDC0156.jpg  

Old 11-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #7

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Before you tow very far you should make a cover for the AC exhaust vent on the front. The rivet picture you will need rivet caps which makes them look better.
Nice trailer for the price. Now if the floor feels soft you may want to remove carpet and check it out.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #8

Name: Richard
Massachusetts
Hi Outdoorsman,

Have you checked the battery voltage? Perhaps it is undercharged and unable to spin up the fans. Grasping at straws, I am

The next thing to try would be to take a voltmeter to the fans and see if current is reaching them. If it is, then bad fan motors seem likely.

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Check the fuses, too, of course. Maybe the vent fans are on a different circuit than the fridge, etc. (I can check mine, but prolly not 'til this weekend.)

Oops. I reread, and see the stove light works; surely that's on the same circuit as the vent fan. Sorry... It could be either a bad switch or the fan motor (of course).

It still seems odd that both fans are out...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Check the fuses, too, of course. Maybe the vent fans are on a different circuit than the fridge, etc. (I can check mine, but prolly not 'til this weekend.)
if the fans are not working on 12volt or when plugged in I would check all the fuses on the converter. Depending on what converter the trailer has you may have to take the lid off the converter to see what it has in the way of fuses inside of it. Possible that both fans are wired to run off the same line.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #11

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
It has some issues that I will have to tackle : electrical wiring at the back of both brakes have been cut and cant find a electrical brake switch on trailer frame fantastic fan not working stove vent fan not working water heater anode is rusted on outer surface as well as surface rust on lower area below it poor, sloppy silicon caulking of windows and around roof vents, fan cover the floor feel sort of flexes centerline in the camper just between the stove and fridgerator but feel solid when pounding with fist and no water stains detected. not sure what some add-ons are used for (will have to post photos) some exterior plastic rivet caps are missing am going to tackle on at a time and hope for the best
Did you make sure that the lid was open when you tried the fan? There is a safety switch that keeps the fan from starting when the lid is down. I recently had to replace the lid switch in my fan because it rusted out and stopped working.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #12

Georgia
I did make sure the lid was closed on the fantastic fan when I turned it on.
I did not check with a volt meter even though I got one from harbor freight, I'm unfamiliar with electrical systems and testing but would like to learn (got to review the youtube videos on using a voltmeter)
Thanks for all the advice: now I will order a AC vent cover, anode, new rivet caps.
There is a small trailer buisness locally that sells various size utility and enclosed trailers and the owner says he is experienced working on electrical brakes and wiring trailers so I am inclinded to have him look the trailer brakes over.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I did make sure the lid was closed on the fantastic fan when I turned it on.
I hope you meant to say that the lid was open, if closed it will not start - the lid needs to be up at least a few inches to start.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #14

Georgia
Thanks for catching that ;I tried the fan with lid both open and closed and would not run.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #15

Georgia
Update:
Just received replace parts FREE from the kind people at Atwood Mobile Product who make/sell the Fantastic Fan. Next I'll have to start switching parts out.

I was able to get the stove vent fan to work intermittently if I tap the blade it runs. I plan to drill out a stripped screw then remove the fan motor for cleaning/oiling.

Trailer Brakes update:
I removed the wheels and drums and found there are no internal brakes on either side!

Tags
casita