U-Haul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #1

Name: robbcor
Trailer: shopping around
Manitoba
U-Haul

Hi all. I'm robbcor from the frozen north. I am looking to buy a 1984 u haul camper in pretty good original condition. Is 5 thousand too much ? The seller is firm on price. What kinds of defects should i be looking for ? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanx
robbcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Prices cover a big range, from $3000 to $10,000, depending on condition and demand. If you use Facebook join the Uhaul owners group and look in the files section for common problems. Some of them are rusted out frames, leaking windows, non-functional tail lights due to deterioration or bad wiring, rusted out body to frame bolts, old rental damage. Many of the parts are unique to Uhaul and no longer available. The 13 foot Uhaul does not have brakes and can not be refitted with them without replacing the axle, which the original may be worn anyway. The hubs are sealed bearing units but are generally fail proof.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbcor View Post
Hi all. I'm robbcor from the frozen north. I am looking to buy a 1984 u haul camper in pretty good original condition. Is 5 thousand too much ? The seller is firm on price. What kinds of defects should i be looking for ? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanx
For your reference: https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-HAUL-13-F...927a%7Ciid%3A1

You can also browse the Sold ads here: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/uhaul-campers-sold.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
$5,000 particularly if that is Canadian dollars, could be a great deal. Condition is everything, do your research on UHauls and inspect carefully.

UHauls are pretty desirable in the vintage fiberglass market.

First defect is soft floor. Soft floor = rot. Read up on floor repair. Second defect is any appliance that does not work. Then check outside lights. Smells? Signs of past leaks? Maintenance history? Roof sag or door sag or floor sag?
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=thrifty bill

UHauls are pretty desirable in the vintage fiberglass market.

Second defect is any appliance that does not work.

I think the desirability is just because they are relatively unknown, out of production, and somewhat rare with only 1725 made during the three years of production. Appliances consist of an easily replaceable two burner stove, a range hood, propane furnace and a hand pump water system. The solar panel was only there to maintain the battery and the power converter is outdated technology Side window leaks seem to be the most frustrating problem for most owners and it was a problem back when they were rental units. The fact that Uhaul used proprietary parts is the biggest problem but some work arounds have been found.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #6

Name: robbcor
Trailer: shopping around
Manitoba
U-Haul

Thank you all for your input. I have a better idea of what to look for. Unfortunately the trailer is still buried in snow so I have wait a month or two before looking at it.
robbcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul