1980 Scamp 13 Foot - Adding mini dinette in place of bunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #1

Name: Joshua
Trailer: Scamp
MN
1980 Scamp 13 Foot - Adding mini dinette in place of bunk

I've had this idea of taking out the bunk bed / couch, and making a mini dinette instead. I want to keep the regular dinette as just the bed, and have a permanent mini dinette so I don't have to turn our bed into a table every day. I was wondering if anyone here has done this, or if they have any tips on constructing this. My main concern is sitting down in the corner where the fridge and counter are, as there would not be much room to squeeze into the seat. Thanks for the read!
ScampChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:01 AM   #2

Name: Brian & Lisa
Rhode Island
Registry
We did the conversion in our 1982 Scamp 13. Made it so a part of the table lifts to get in the seat against the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
6D98C6E7-BB08-458F-802A-D5E1D0350BFA.jpg   4DA6CB33-BE72-4D3E-BD4A-A84C8061352E.jpg  

Rhode Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

Name: RJ
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13'
North Carolina
In my 13' 1982 Burro I measured in from the corners 6" and cut off both corners. Then I rounded those edges to make for a smoother entrance and exit. Not only is it more functional, but it looks good too.
RJnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Front dinette

I did just what you want to do in my 1980 Trillium Jubilee although I had just about gutted the complete interior so had more or less a blank slate to start with.
I was able to rebuild the kitchen and carry the new countertop around the back of the seat on that side of the trailer. This seat was made not so deep as the one on the opposite side as my wife didn't need as much room as me and this is what enabled me to make storage area behind that seat. I also took the corners off of the table that I built to match the countertop.
There was a lot of mocking up done with cardboard, bits of ply, sitting in time and time again to get the optimum sizing for the space available.
The compartment under the seat on the door side of the trailer houses a Porta Potti and all of it's ancillary stuff.
The compartment under the other seat house the electrical stuff, Converter, Inverter, 3 Way Switch etc.
I have many more pics if you want anything specific will look to see if I've got anything pertinent.
Good luck with your project ... don't plump for the first thing that comes to mind. Try something, mock it up and consider it's effectiveness.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1003 copy.jpg   DSCN1031.jpg  

DSCN1042.jpg   DSCN1043.jpg  

DSCN1044 copy.jpg  
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #5

Name: Joshua
MN
Thanks

Thank you! These are some great ideas and are already helping me figure something out. I've seen a couple older threads on this subject, but I figured I'd see if there were any newer builds that would fit my needs better. You guys did not disappoint, thank you.
ScampChamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk bed, dinette, scamp, scamp 13