Which year Scamp 13 is best? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: In the market
CA
Which year Scamp 13 is best?

My wife and I are looking to buy a used 13' Scamp. We have up to $10,000 to spend. I'm wondering what year Scamp is best. Are there some improvements that were made in the Scamp lineup for a certain year that we should look for?
BobandPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post188390

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-81018.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The best 13' Scamp is the one in the very best condition that you can afford.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Which is best? that is subjective.

2006 - 2" more interior height.

2008- front bath with a shower introduced on the Standard.

2018- new door design with RV latch.

2019 -0° axle with 10" brakes.

Of course Scamp's best trailer is the Deluxe regardless of year.

There have been many other changes over the years , but with your budget there is really no need to talk about anything before this century.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

There have been numerous failures of the new door hinges. The hinges crack and at least one year-old unit had the door fall off on the highway. To their credit Scamp is working on the issue and honoring the warranty. However, I would avoid 2018 and newer until they sort it out. Probably over your budget anyway unless you’re looking for a stripped down basic unit.

For me the sweet spot in your price range is 2007-2014 or so. Go with 2010 and newer if you like the crank out side windows. The big bed option arrived on the standard in 2014. It gives a wider dinette bed (54” vs. 45”) at the expense of a smaller galley and closet. Only some units have it.

Also depends on how well equipped you want. To get a fully optioned bath unit for $10K you might have to go a bit older. If you’re not tall you can sometimes find good deals on the shorter pre-fire (2005 and earlier) units. They’re a little under 6’ interior headroom.

Donna is right though. Condition is everything. Don’t rule anything out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

CA
That helps a lot!

Your responses are just what I needed! Thanks! It looks like we may have to budget a bit more so that we can buy a 2014 or newer and get the larger bed option.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandPatt View Post
Your responses are just what I needed! Thanks! It looks like we may have to budget a bit more so that we can buy a 2014 or newer and get the larger bed option.
Or you could buy a Deluxe, which has offered the wide bed since inception.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

CA
Good thought, although they seem to be harder to find and a bit heavier which is a consideration since I need to say under the 1,500 pound limit. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I need to say under the 1,500 pound limit. Thanks!

Oh, Oh.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Oh, Oh. [emoji33]
Indeed. Very, very few loaded Scamps weigh in under 1500#. No bath, no water heater, no AC, no awning, lightly loaded- maybe.

A 2014+ standard layout 1 with the basic package only and big bed option might just work for you. Trailer brakes are a must-have.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Good thought, although they seem to be harder to find and a bit heavier which is a consideration since I need to say under the 1,500 pound limit. Thanks!
Ut oh indeed.. please refer to the famous Trailer Weights in the Real World data which is generally the best data available as to what the weight will really be when you hit the road.

The average for Scamp 13s was about 1,700 lbs. And if your tow rating is 1500, then IMHO you should not have a trailer over 1200 or maybe 1300. Towing at the limits is no fun - leave yourself a comfort and safety margin.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #12

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
You're best bet to come in under 1500 lbs would be one of the early pre-fire Scamps since the ones manufactured after they re-created the shell molds had thicker and heavier shells. Or look at one of the vintage models like the Hunter Compact or early Bolers (Mine is under 1300 loaded without fridge and furnance).
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:59 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry

I hadn’t heard the shell thickness changed post-fire. Do you have a source for that? Just curious... I know they have gradually gained weight over the years.

Another non-vintage, ultra-lightweight Scamp alternative is a Meerkat. Not all-molded, but uses a combination of aluminum sides and molded top. About 900# base dry weight, which is about 300# lighter than a base Scamp. Hard to find and go for over $10K used, $15-20K new last I checked. Built in San Diego, so maybe a factory visit? It would be a great fit for a 1500# tow rating.

https://www.meerkattrailers.com/

I saw one in town last weekend pulled by a VW Sportwagen. Nice looking combo. Judging by the website, the interior quality has come a long way since the early prototypes.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
More research on your part of actual loaded weight along with the tow capability (not rating) of your TV is warranted.

I have a tow rated 1500 pound Honda Element. Love the car but it barely has enough power to get out of its own way. I wouldn't tow with it. Note I live in the mountains of NC (yes there are mountains here). So every trip involves serious climbs. Even a trip to the flatlands of Florida involves climbing to get back home. And the best summer camping here is up higher elevation.

Figure a standard Scamp will be 1700 to 2000 pounds loaded for camping, with 200 to 240 pound tongue weight. Options like AC, awning, etc., will add weight. The basic Scamp does not have items that many might assume are standard: no refrigerator, no gray water tank, no furnace, no AC. Standard is really basic, which helps keep the weight (and the price) down. I prefer this approach on their part, as you can get as much or as little as you want.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry

I beg to differ. We have a '06 CR-V, which I believe has the identical drivetrain, perhaps a slightly more aerodynamic profile. It is a very peppy vehicle. You do have to use the right pedal. Like most Honda 4-bangers, its peak powerband is reached at a relatively high RPM and the redline is also fairly high. Ours sings up 6-7% mountain grades on our daily school commute with four on board at 2500-4500 RPM and is quite capable of an uphill pass with at 65 mph when necessary. It will happily run that way for years and years. Our is about to hit 200K miles without a single mechanical issue. We're still on the original starter, alternator, and brake pads. No oil consumption between regular 5000 mile changes. Chain-driven, so no timing belt changes. Hard to spend money on this car.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it to tow the full rated limit of 1500#. Trailer brakes and an ATF cooler are givens. Norm and Ginny towed a 2600# 16'er all over NA with an '03 CR-V (same engine, but he did have a rare stick shift). I wouldn't counsel exceeding the limit, but I have confidence it is a reasonable and conservative limit.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I hadn’t heard the shell thickness changed post-fire. Do you have a source for that? Just curious...

Because it didn't.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
What are you towing with?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
More research on your part of actual loaded weight along with the tow capability (not rating) of your TV is warranted.

I have a tow rated 1500 pound Honda Element. Love the car but it barely has enough power to get out of its own way. I wouldn't tow with it. Note I live in the mountains of NC (yes there are mountains here). So every trip involves serious climbs. Even a trip to the flatlands of Florida involves climbing to get back home. And the best summer camping here is up higher elevation.

Figure a standard Scamp will be 1700 to 2000 pounds loaded for camping, with 200 to 240 pound tongue weight. Options like AC, awning, etc., will add weight. The basic Scamp does not have items that many might assume are standard: no refrigerator, no gray water tank, no furnace, no AC. Standard is really basic, which helps keep the weight (and the price) down. I prefer this approach on their part, as you can get as much or as little as you want.
I can't actually speak to the average, but I think you are quite high. Early Scamps only had a 1200pound axle with the 2200 pound axle reserved for the Scamp16.

My Scamp13D leaves the driveway at 1950#.

Certainly way above average with every conceivable option including A/C, fridge, extra cabinets etc and still doesn't strain the 2200 pound axle.

Are we expected to count the tongue weight twice?
Tongue weight is supposed to count as payload on the TV...Right?

So an unusually heavy Scamp13 might weigh 1740 pounds

The tongue weight... 240# which is payload, must be considered as part the TVs total contents.

Net tow weight...1500 pounds
J2807 rating allows for 70mph and a minimum acceleration on a set grade.
Are we to assume that sane speeds and slower acceleration would have no effect on the TVs practical capability?

Now lets consider margin for safety...
Many here believe that there is none provided in the ratings, and that the consumer must provide his own... Often more than 25%.

Take a look at what you plan to tow and with what, then apply common sense instead of wishful thinking.

In the U.S.A. I tow my Scamp13D and haul what camping gear I choose to bring along.

When I go to Europe...(can't wait) I'll tow whatever the hell I want!

https://www.motor1.com/news/302627/f...g-20-caravans/
Old 07-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #19

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Because it didn't.
My bad, I thought I saw it in a thread here but can't find it. Ignore my previous post. Sorry to have muddied the waters.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
"Certainly way above average with every conceivable option including A/C, fridge, extra cabinets etc and still doesn't strain the 2200 pound axle.

Are we expected to count the tongue weight twice?
Tongue weight is supposed to count as payload on the TV...Right?"

So an unusually heavy Scamp13 might weigh 1740 pounds "

My figures came straight from the spreadsheet. So I guess there are a lot of unusually heavy Scamps out there. There is one weighing in at 1200 pounds, the rest are 1700 to 1950 pounds.

No, you don't count tongue weight twice. But a lot of the 1500 pound limit tow vehicles also have very low tongue weight limits as a separate figure.

By all means, do whatever you want. I would not be surprised if axles are overbuilt compared to ratings, and of course, axle does not carry tongue weight.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp