1974 Eco sink (faucet not working) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Eco
Colorado
1974 Eco sink (faucet not working)

We have a 1974 Eco (Scamp) and we are using it for our first camping trip. We learned that the faucet does not work. We believe it is the hand pump type. We hooked it up to water, and we watch the water go up the hose to the faucet, but water will not come out of the faucet. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions? We are just hooking the water straight into the side of the camper that is straight into the sink hose. Thanks!
BrowningSchubarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Take off the aerator. It may be plugged. That's the easiest thing to check.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Take off the aerator. It may be plugged. That's the easiest thing to check.
What and where is the aerator?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

The thing that screws on to the bottom of the spout... where the water comes out. The screen(s) may be plugged.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm a little confused here… Nicole, you mention a hand-pump faucet, but then describe connecting water to the outside of the camper. I've never heard of running pressurized tap water through a hand pump. Am I misunderstanding something?

My Scamp has two separate systems, a hand pump connected to a non-pressurized onboard tank and a cold water faucet connected to an outside fitting for a pressurized connection. IIRC, neither has an aerator. It looks like Eco might be similar- I found this registry photo which shows both faucets.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Eco.jpg Views: 21 Size: 37.1 KB ID: 98482" style="margin: 2px" />
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm a little confused here… Nicole, you mention a hand-pump faucet, but then describe connecting water to the outside of the camper. I've never heard of running pressurized tap water through a hand pump. Am I misunderstanding something?

My Scamp has two separate systems, a hand pump connected to a non-pressurized onboard tank and a cold water faucet connected to an outside fitting for a pressurized connection. IIRC, neither has an aerator. It looks like Eco might be similar- I found this registry photo which shows both faucets.
Attachment 98482
So, we aren't sure how the faucet works really. It seems like a pump. We do have a fresh water tank but we are using the direct connection on the outside of the camper behind the sink. So, it does seem weird to have the pump faucet. I see what you mean. Trust me though, we are confused too!!

I am going to see about the aerator and if we can clean that, but I do feel air coming out when we pump it.

Baffled!

Thank you for all the help!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

Oh man! Jon is right. You don't pump when hooked up to city water, that's a pressurized system, you just turn on the faucet. When you pump, you're trying to pump from the fresh water tank. Since it's empty, that's why you're feeling air coming out of the spout. Someone more knowledgeable then me needs to help.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
1974 Eco sink (faucet not working)

Some pictures might help, Nicole. After so many years, someone may have changed the original set-up. Show us what your faucet(s) look like. Show us what the water lines look like under the sink. And show us what the outside fitting(s) look like.

A little idea is forming in my head… It is possible you don't have a city water system (it's optional on Scamps). If you do, there should be two two faucets (as shown in the picture) and two outside hose fittings: one for the fresh water going in, and one for the grey water drain coming out. If you don't there will still be one hose fitting on the outside for the drain. Are you sure you didn't connect the water hose to the drain?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #9

Colorado
Sorry, I haven't been on in a while.

Yes, it's all connected correctly. The drain is lower. We were able to get water up the hose, but it wouldn't come out of the faucet. We do only have one faucet, so maybe even though we have a connection for city water, we don't have a faucet for it. Thanks for the input. I'll get pictures up asap.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:39 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
I did a little research at some point after I posted in this thread. Seems there are some pump faucets that can also run pressurized city water. Lift up to pump; press down to run city water. I have a vague memory that my family's tent trailer back in the 1970's worked like that.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:55 AM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
I did a little research at some point after I posted in this thread. There are some pump faucets that can also run pressurized city water. Lift up to pump; press down to run city water. I have this vague memory that my family's tent trailer back in the 1970's worked like that.

Jon, I will look into that. I feel like we tried everything. I want to figure out the pump system as well and see if that even works. Thank you so much for all your input! Everything helps!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Worst comes to worst, it may be time for a new hand pump. Or maybe install a 12V pump on the tank line and switch to a regular faucet. Or...

Lots of solutions to water depending on how you camp. We use bottled water inside and a portable water container outside. We don't use either the onboard water tank or a city water hookup.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Worst comes to worst, it may be time for a new hand pump. Or maybe install a 12V pump on the tank line and switch to a regular faucet. Or...

Lots of solutions to water depending on how you camp. We use bottled water inside and a portable water container outside. We don't use either the onboard water tank or a city water hookup.

We've used water bottles for now, I just think it would be great to have this thing fully functional again. With that being said, we would need a stove as well. I'll have to see if scamp products fit my Eco.
You all are the best! I'm going to do more research and figure some stuff out!

Tags
eco