Curtains in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Curtains in Scamp

We bought a new Scamp in February. We love almost everything about it, except the curtains. Has anyone tried replacing the curtains and does anyone have advice for us? The rods are very 'flimsy' and the curtains fall off easily. I am thinking about replacing them with blinds, but would like some other suggestions, too. Thanks!
CraigKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
The fix for the curtain rod falling off is to use tie wraps (or garbage bag ties) and tie the curtain rods onto the clips/holders. I went through a couple of years of curtain rods jumping track, before I realized there really was a simple solution. But if you really want new curtains, I'm sure someone else will have good ideas.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

Minnesota
Registry
Thank you! That sounds like a simple fix! I have pinched the ends, but they still seem to fall off. It seems that it would have been nice for them to put a bottom rod on all of the curtains, just like they did on the door. That may have helped them stay in place, and would look much neater. Thanks again!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigKathy View Post
We bought a new Scamp in February. We love almost everything about it, except the curtains. Has anyone tried replacing the curtains and does anyone have advice for us? The rods are very 'flimsy' and the curtains fall off easily. I am thinking about replacing them with blinds, but would like some other suggestions, too. Thanks!
There are a good number of threads on the subject here.
Try https://www.google.com/webhp?q=curta...berglassrv.com

Just the first page of hits includes:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ins-66034.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-69386.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nds-72850.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nds-51971.html

By the way, when I ordered my Scamp I had them leave the rod holders off. I have since used a few different techniques to mount them (without holes in the shell) and I have followed this subject with interest. So far I am sticking with the curtains since I am usually in bed when its dark, but if I do more off season camping (with shorter days) I might change to something that gives more privacy.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #5

Minnesota
Registry
Thank you, Gordon! I wish I had known that I could order it without the rod brackets already hung. I am not fond of their plan of drilling into the shell. Especially since they used such 'cheap' brackets. A better quality bracket and rod would have been easier to accept. Kathy
Old 09-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #6

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
I have used rubber binders on each end and have not had a curtain rod jumper since.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
You may use wooden dowels for stiff curtain rods

Kathy

You can go to Menards or Home Depot and buy a wooden dowel the length of the window. Drill a hole through the bracket and then use a screw to hold the dowel in place (could be a wing screw).

I also am not a fan of drilling ANY holes through the shell. We have a 2016 Deluxe with a front dinette. The seats are screwed into wooden cleats that are fiber glassed to the inside of the fiberglass hull. The seats are then attached to those. NO HOLES TO THE OUTSIDE.

The curtain rods mounts could have wooden blocks fiber glassed on the inside, rat fur over the top, and then the brackets could be screwed into the wood block.

I wish SCAMP would do all of the cabinetry this way. The outside would be soooo much smoother, easier to keep clean (no caulk on rivets) and less potential for warranty/customer dissatisfaction due to leaking.

But who am I to say..it's their business.
Attached Images

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

Registry
This topic comes up from time to time. I just simply pinched the rod holders a little tighter so the rods snapped in. Fixed the falling off problem. Although it's not a big problem if they do fall off while traveling, they go back pretty easily.

As far as replacing the curtains, curtains are about the simplest kind of sewing you can do. As a guy I've sewn lots of stuff that far more difficult to sew than curtains.

We're on our third set at the moment.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I use the zip strips, they work great. Just snug up and cut off the long part.
Attached Images

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I use the zip strips, they work great. Just snug up and cut off the long part.
Small clear zip straps did the trick for me as well. Can not even see them behind the fabric either.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #11

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
I sewed a box corner in the bottom of the curtains so they would fit around the bottom corner of the window. A little velcro keeps them in line with the window. No gap for the sun to shine in.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might want to check as the curtains on the Scamp in 2010 were see-through! I sewed "Roc-Lun" material onto the back of the curtains at the top and it's worked for 6 yrs. Also "darkens" the Scamp when you want it. You can get "black out" OR "Room darkening". Just what anyone prefers. I took some "black out" material and made "shades" with them since I used "room darkening" on the curtains (to let in light). At the top, I taped a 3/8 dowel to the material using clear "vinyl" tape and used velcro on the bottom corners to pull it to the windows. The Scamp sides are on a slant and they will hang away from the windows at the bottom which I dont like. I also made some for the back windows as well. The dowels easily sit inside the existing curtain retainers.

Quote:
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
I sewed a box corner in the bottom of the curtains so they would fit around the bottom corner of the window. A little velcro keeps them in line with the window. No gap for the sun to shine in.
Using a thin light weight thermal curtain liner material (one that has a little bit of a plastic content in it) works well as a sun blocker and it will not absorb moisture from the windows. Keeps the moisture in the trailer down, prevents sun damage to the material and it helps the curtains keep that nice crisp finished look to them.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
We pinched the brackets tighter around the rods, and, to keep the length of the rods from changing, wrapped some duct tape - the handyman's best friend - around the center slip joint.
My wife took the original curtains and added a layer of darkening material.
For the bottoms, we made hold back ribbons with bits of the hooky velcro that sticks to the rat fur.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm not that keen on blinds in a camper trailer. They can be noisy- a trailer moves (even when parked). They collect dust (of which there is a lot when you're out camping). And they are more easily damaged when you bump into them in the close quarters of a small trailer.

I managed to score some nicer lined curtains through a very generous member here who was redecorating.

Here are a couple of ideas I have run across and found very appealing, though I haven't tried either out myself.

Grommets make the curtains slide easier and park more compactly when opened. Most of our home curtains are grommeted (Ikea) and I really like them. I believe these are also lined for better privacy/light control. Thanks Carol H.!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curtains.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	99451

Wraparound curtains make for better coverage and completely clear the windows when opened. If I were ordering a new Scamp I would leave off the stock curtain rods entirely and suspend a continuous rod from the overhead cabinets. These use flexible copper tubing and come courtesy of Elipea in CA.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wraparound Curtains.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	99452
More information here.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Here are a couple of ideas I have run across and found very appealing, though I haven't tried either out myself.

Grommets make the curtains slide easier and park more compactly when opened. I believe these are also lined for better privacy/light control. Thanks Carol H.!
Attachment 99451

Wraparound curtains make for more complete coverage and completely clear the windows when opened. If I were ordering a new Scamp I would leave off the stock curtain rods entirely and suspend a continuous rod from the overhead cabinets. These use flexible copper tubing and come courtesy of Elipea in CA!
Attachment 99452
More information here.
Grommets did indeed help to keep the curtains in place - open or closed.

My new to me trailer has blinds on most of the windows (other than the bedroom area) and as you say they are a bit of a pain... looking to do curtains of some sort in the future on the others as well. The ones in the bedroom are on a track system top and bottom with dozens of connections on each curtain panel to keep them nice and tidy.

Just a note on the curtains that Scamp supplies. They are cheap and thin and will fade fast due to sun exposure and the fact they wick up moisture like crazy - over time while fall apart at the seams.

If your going to replace curtains it is best to find a home decorating fabric that is not high in cotton content so they do not fade as fast and soak up and hold moisture.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Thank you! That sounds like a simple fix! I have pinched the ends, but they still seem to fall off. It seems that it would have been nice for them to put a bottom rod on all of the curtains, just like they did on the door. That may have helped them stay in place, and would look much neater. Thanks again!
I replaced those horrible cheap metal curtain rods with fiberglass rods in some cases and some other plastic hollow rods that I already had around. The diameter was not right, so I squeezed the rod supports with a pair of pliers until I got the right fit.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Unfortunately, my 2011, 13' Scamp came with curtain rod holders (brackets) that were too small for the curtain rod! As soon as I replaced the Scamp rods with "standard" 7/16" cafe rods they fit snugly. When you crimp the rod holders it can weaken the metal to the point of breaking it. If that happens then you are stuck with replacing the rod holders. This is not an easy task as it involves riveting.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp