EggCamper Bunk Mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Sally & Marty
Trailer: EggCamper (EggBert)
Michigan
Registry
Thumbs up EggCamper Bunk Mod

We purchased our EggCamper in 2013 with the full bed in the back option that included a street side dinette. In 2014 we decided to modify our EggCamper to have twin bunks. We met with Jim Palmer at the EggCamper manufacturing facility and he gave us some advice and instructions on how we could do this.

1. We removed the full mattress and Marty removed the hinges from the wood full bed support. We left just the rear portion to support the rear twin bunk.

2. For the second bunk, Marty built a mattress platform of plywood that included an enclosure and door for additional storage under the bunk.

3. We purchased 4" thick high density foam from a custom mattress factory. They cut the queen size foam in half lengthwise for us. We also purchased a queen size 2" thick memory foam and cut this in half lengthwise. We used spray adhesive to attach the memory foam to the high density foam. Sally sewed cloth covers with sleeping bag zipper. We use the thick foam shelf liner under the bunk mattresses to prevent slipping. For the rear bunk, Sally made 2 narrow pillows out of a scrap of foam we got from the mattress manufacturer. This keeps the rear mattress in place. We purchased twin size knit sheets that work very well on these bunks. During the day we fold the blankets and put them and our pillows in pillow covers that Sally made. This makes the beds into daybed couches for seating. To increase "counter space" during meal preparation, we use sheets of marine vinyl on the bunks to cover the mattresses.

4. Creating the second bunk eliminated the dinette. But there is room on each side for a seat. We create a dinette with a foldable table and foldable foot stools to rest our feet. Sometimes we just eat on trays.

Please see the attached photos of the bunk modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Single Beds 4_S.jpg   Bunks with Mattresses.jpg  

View Bunk Base_Street Side.jpg   View Bunk Base_Street Side_w-shelf liner.jpg  

View Rear Bunk Base.jpg   View Dinette with Folding Table.jpg  

View Under Bunk Storage_Front w-door.jpg   View Under Bunk Storage_Front Open.jpg  

View Under Bunk Storage.jpg   View Under Bunk Storage_L.jpg  

Sally&Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Thanks so much Sally for the email about your post I love your mods! I am still sold on this trailer, sadly I need to sell my sticky first I had a couple that wanted to buy it but it wasn't quite enough ground clearance for them. I have one lined up as long as he will still think of me when he "really" wants to sell it (I have visited the beauty in person

I think you have for sure given me some answers on the table conversion I seek and how I can make it work for me too. Thanks so much!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
btw I LOVE your pillows and décor!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: Sally & Marty
Trailer: EggCamper (EggBert)
Michigan
Registry
EggCamper bed mod (update)

You are welcome, Crystal. And thanks about the décor. BTW I love your "chick waiting for her first egg".

Thanks for your feedback. We put industrial strength Velcro under both ends of the bunk and on both sides of the dinette opening (under the bunk) to hold the platform in place. The platform warped a bit on one end. But with the weight of the mattress and a person, the platform does not shift.
Sally&Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper