Baja Burrito Resto Mod - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #61

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Follow up on floor replacement

I have been meaning to do a follow up post about the floor replacement in case it might help someone in the future. When I started my resto, I had a hard time finding this information.

When you are cutting the floor out, I think you have three options …. 1) cut the floor and leave a 1” top and factory bottom lip (seems to be most commonly done from what I can tell). 2) cut the top lip off and leave the bottom (what I did). 3) cut the bottom lip off and leave the top (I have not seen this done). This in theory would allow you to lift the camper off the trailer with the floor still attached to the trailer??

If you leave the bottom and top lip, I think 1/2“ plywood is about as thick as you can get to work. I cut the top lip out and was able to use 5/8” plywood. I could not get 3/4 “ to work due to the lip on the built-in furniture not allowing enough clearance.

I could only get the floor to go in 5 pieces. You can do it in less pieces, but I felt like I was able to bet a better fit to the fiberglass shell by using smaller pieces. Less pieces also makes the install much harder. I thought I could get the floor in in 3 pieces, but could not. If I had known this, I would have added extra metal frame at the joints when doing my frame repairs. On the bottom side of all floor joints that did not have a metal beam, I glued and screwed 1x6 boards.

I chose exterior grade plywood. There are tons of other options, but I think this will work fine. I will say I did not want to use treated wood due to potential corrosion issues with the frame and mounting hardware. I sealed the top side with water seal (had some laying around and this was quick and easy) and coated the bottom side with paintable spray on rubberized coating (note the pictures below need an extra coat or two). I meant to coat the top and bottom with water seal, but I had a hard time getting the floor in and did not feel like pulling it back out (I got lazy). Four stainless bolts were used for each piece of floor to mount the floor to the frame cross L beams.

I used Lathe screws to attach the bottom lip to the floor from the bottom side. On the top side, I poured 2-part epoxy in the crack between shell and the floor and all the floor cracks. This sealed up the ends of the boards (prevent water wicking – the ends of the boards are usually the first to rot), made the bottom seal between the camper and the floor water proof, and bonded the floor to the camper. I filled in any remaining cracks with bondo glass. I then finished the inside off with more of the paintable rubberized coating. This makes a really nice finish (like a truck bed liner) and helps get rid of the raw fiberglass. You could paint if you wanted.

There are lots of other options/ways of doing this floor replacement. This is just what I chose to do. The two things I think worked well were cutting the top lip out (allowed a thicker floor) and pouring epoxy in the crack between the shell and the floor to make a water tight seal. Also, I think an oscillating tool worked really good for this work. Don’t know how I would have done it without one.
Attached Thumbnails
120.jpg   122.jpg  

123.jpg   124.jpg  

125.jpg   126.jpg  

127.jpg   128.jpg  

Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #62

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Screwing into frame beams

How do you screw down into the frame beams? I would guess drill and use sheet metal screws or lag screws.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:03 AM   #63

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looking good Cory. I couldn't see in the pics, are some of the SS bolts through the frame?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #64

Florida
Registry
Advantech instead of plywood subfloor

I plan to leave in all the original fiberglass floor on mine, just to maintain the original integrity of the sealed shell. I will paint the overlap of the shell and floor with thick white roof paint to seal it. (I wonder if I should drill a few small holes to allow drainage?) I will shim up along the beams to bring the level up to the shell part. Then Advantech, 19/32 OSB, routed out where any bolts or bumps are. (Plywood was the first plan. Advantech is completely waterproof I'm not sure how many puzzle pieces it will take, maybe four, but I plan to have all joints over the frame beams. I might even sandwich a layer of underlayment under the panels. Any ideas on how to make the flooring edges look pretty around all those curves? Normal baseboards or molding is too rigid.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #65

Tennessee
I started with stainless carriage bolts, but had trouble getting them to tighten enough. I switched over to stainless flat head screws (all 1/4") with washers and lock nuts. I do not trust sheet metal screws. Take a look at the condition of the screws I removed in an early post. The looked good on top and bottom, but were completely eaten in two where they went through the frame.

No bolts through the frame, just the cross members. I would minimize putting holes in the frame if possible.

My thoughts on underlayment ... Don't sandwich anything above or below the floor. It can trap water (even ambient humidity) and cause rot. I think this is an inherent problem with the Burro design (floor between two layers of fiberglass). I think people have tried to use aluminum sheet on the bottom and seen problems like this.

Please post detailed pics of your floor replacement. There are lots of ways to do this job. It would be good for people to see different options.

Not sure what to do about the baseboard trim. Haven't got that far yet.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #66

Tennessee
Ceiling Headliner

Got the carpet up on the ceiling tonight. I made a few cuts that I was not happy with, but it's not coming back down any time soon (hopefully anyhow).

I tried to install linoleum, but it did not install well or look good. I just bought some outdoor carpet from local hardware box store.

The 3M spray I used worked real well. In particular the adjustable nozzle was precise. I was able to spray both the ceiling and carpet without having to mask anything off. This spray seemed a little thicker and sticker than normal spray adhesive. Worth the extra money in my opinion.

I started at one end and sprayed about 1-2 ft sections of ceiling at a time and worked by way from one end to the other, cutting as I went. The cuts may have looked better if I made one long cut at once, but I had to cut as I laid the carpet down to relieve some of the stress wrinkles (especially in the curved parts of the ceiling). The carpet I started with had about 3" overhang on each end.
Attached Thumbnails
180.jpg   182.jpg  

183.jpg   184.jpg  

Old 04-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #67

Tennessee
Front and Rear Window Rebuild

I made a second order of glass, but I ordered 3" radius glass this time and 5/32" thickness. Had a much better fit & assembly than the two side windows. I measured the opening of the window frame and subtracted 1/8" from the length and width (1/16" clearance all on all sides). Attached are the dimensions that worked for my window.
Attached Thumbnails
second glass order.JPG  
Old 04-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #68

Tennessee
Propane and Battery Storage

I added a tongue box to store the propane tank and the battery. Wasn't sure at first about enclosing the propane tank and storing it with the battery. However I added vents to the top and bottom of the box and added a battery box with cover. I think it will be OK. I may add propane alarm inside the box.

The box is bolted to the frame using bolt holes that have been drilled and tapped in the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
190.jpg   191.jpg  

Old 04-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #69

Tennessee
Cabinet Doors and Vent Fan

I also got cabinet doors and a vent fan installed this weekend.

I used 3/4" thick wood to make a trim ring to go around the fan. I installed a Fan-Tastic fan. It is really quite and moves a lot of air.

I used 1X12" oak for the cabinet doors (from Lowes). Cut down to fits and routed the edges. No stain. Sealed with wipe on poly. The two cabinet doors are bookmatched, which I think looks really neat. I really like the way the grain turned out. Might be too much for some?
Attached Thumbnails
200.jpg   201.jpg  

Old 05-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #70

Tennessee
Finished installing the 12 volt lighting

Just finished up wiring up the 12V lights. I bought 50' of wire at first. I ended up using ok 150'. I can't believe it took that much.

I had a hard time finding wiring for the 12 lights that I liked. I ended up using 14/2 low voltage outdoor wiring. It is braided wire and has an extra thick casing. I think it worked really well in this application and the cost was reasonable.

The LEDs light up the camper really well. I added a step light that has a switch independent of the awning light. I also added a switch at the door for an entry light (three switches total). All the other lights have local switches on the lights themselves.

The vent below the light switch is for the air conditioner air intake. Also I needed a way to access and clean the filter on the back of the air conditioner. A coat rack will cover the two exposed shelf screws beside the filter intake.

Will start on the 120V wiring next.
Attached Thumbnails
210.jpg   211.jpg  

213.jpg   214.jpg  

Old 05-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #71

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Cory,
You're doing a nice, clean job there.
Good work! It's been fun watching your progress.
Gary
Old 05-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #72

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
You have done a Wonderful job!
In post #70 I noticed the cement blocks you're using for a step. It's probably the least of your concerns right now, but I highly recommend using this type of stool, when you get around to it:
Chrome Economy Footstools
Very Stable (and light ).

Carry on

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:13 PM   #73

Tennessee
Thanks for the kind words

Thanks for all the kind words. I am trying to get this done before a trip in June. The deadline is killing me. This has been a lot more work than I realized (imagine that). I'm getting a little tired, but I keep saying just a little bit more.

Thanks Gordon for the info on the foot stool. I was going to make one out of wood, but like I said, I'm getting pretty tired. I may just order one of these. I was worried about it being flimsy, but for $30 I may just try it.

Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #74

Florida
Registry
entry steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
You have done a Wonderful job!
In post #70 I noticed the cement blocks you're using for a step . . .
I have a plastic two step one. Also a folding single step that is not quite as good. Might upgrade to a bolt-on sliding step someday. Triage, ya know.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #75

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Just so you know, this is the one I have been using for the last 3 years:
https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...cal+step+stool
I have walking issues, and I can testify to this stool's sturdiness and stability. Very safe.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #76

Tennessee
Towing Lights

Just finished up with the towing lights. It took another 100' of wire. I can't believe it. Part of the problem was getting the wires run for the top markers. I could not run the wires straight down. I had to run along above the windows and drop down through the closet and the cabinets above the stove. This took a little extra wire.

I have attached the wiring diagram I thought was the most useful. I don't have electric breaks, so I only used a four pin harness and only used white, yellow, green and brown.

If you use a standard double filament bulb for the tail lights, you want the larger, thicker filament to be the break. The thinner one is for the turn light.

White - Ground
Yellow - Left Turn
Green - Right Turn
Brown - Brake Light and Running Lights
Attached Thumbnails
220.jpg   wiring diagram.jpg  

Old 05-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #77

Name: Guy
Trailer: Borro
Texas
This is very helpful!! Ty
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #78

Tennessee
Seat & Bed Cushions and Covers

I could not figure out what to do about the beds and bench seat. The old ones were worn out and smelled really bad. I have been looking for a used memory foam mattress, but no luck. New ones are too expensive. I had an old bed topper that I cut to fit the bed, but it was too thin. I called a local trim shop and took the bed topper and a cardboard template for the bench seat. He recommend 2" dense foam for the bottom of the bed and 2-4" for the bench seat. He said I probably need two sheets of 2" foam and they were about $100 each. He recommended I run up to the local Habitat store and see that they had. They had 4 long pieces of 2" foam in great shape, all for $20. Since I had all the supplies, he only charged me $100 to cut both pads, glue them, and make covers. So I have nice custom cushions for $120. I was so excited, I about fell over.
Attached Thumbnails
230.jpg   231.jpg  

Old 05-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #79

Tennessee
Window Leaks - What a bummer

Finally got the camper sealed up, pulled it out from the canopy and did a water test. It leaks like a screen door on a submarine. The windows are not leaking around the newly built window seals, but behind the frame. I cannot figure it out. I installed the windows using butyl tape. I pulled all the windows and reinstalled with caulk. I even caulked around the windows on the outside. They still leak, but I cannot tell where. The fixed windows are even leaking. However, there is no water in the first channel that has the drains?

Anyhow, we have a Yellowstone trip coming up I was trying to get the camper ready for. It's not going to happen. I am just going to have to pull my 21' 6,000 lb camper all 4,500 miles.

Maybe this Fall before I get back to finishing the restore. I am total depressed. Not ready to give up, but I just need to walk away for a while. I'm burnt out.

It sure does look pretty from the inside. I will post some pictures later. It is pretty much finished except for the leaks. I may have to order all new windows $1,800 (OUCH!).
Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #80

Tennessee
Final Post for a while ...

The camper is pretty much ready to go except for trim around the wood floors (and of course the leaking windows). I will work on it later this summer of this fall. Hopefully I will be able to figures something out.
Attached Thumbnails
250.jpg   251.jpg  

252.jpg   254.jpg  

253.jpg  

Tags
brochure, burro, floor replacement, replacement window, tongue replacement, window seals