Boler Air vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Garry
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Manitoba
Boler Air vent

I have looked quite a bit but cannot find a thread that gives advice on changing the air vent in an 1972 Boler.
Can someone lead me to the threads or give some advice please.
Mine is original vent and has a few miner problems.
Lionel
Lionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Are you replacing the roof vent? Search roof vent.

The standard size roof vent today is 14" square. Determine whether you need to replace the entire assembly or just the dome. All sub-components of the roof vent can be purchased and replaced separately.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Also helpful if you would describe the problem(s) and include pictures.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #4

Manitoba
roof vent

It is the original Boler vent.
When it rains hard on an angle with wind - it leaks. Not a lot but enough to get a bit of water on the bed near the counter.
I have tried to add add things to the inside of the tin flap but they don't last. Maybe someone has a better idea.
I think that we may have to install a new modern vent. Plastic - small- no fan, just a vent that will not leak.
The camper is stored inside most of the time so it is just a problem during camping season here in the great white north.
Lionel
Old 07-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Lionel, If it is rectangular, it is a safety/escape hatch. Whether hatch or vent, drill out the rivets and put new butyl tape between the flange and the Boler roof. Chances are pretty good old butyl tape has dried up and is not making a good seal. Once you get it apart it is easy to fix that leak.

If it is an escape hatch, you might do like others have and use some 12v computer fans in the opening.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

Manitoba
picture

Hope this works
Old 07-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #7

Manitoba
try picture again

upload I hopeClick image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0629 (2).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	108114

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0630 (2).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	108115
Old 07-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #8

Missouri
Registry
Wow, not much of a flange on that to give you much protection from driving rain and wind. Your photo shows some bowing from side to side, probably from pulling down on the chain in an attempt to seal out the weather. The left and right are now a little higher.

I don't know what RV supplies you can find in Manitoba, but Walmart does carry some replacement vents. I typed in "RV vent hatch" and got a few options and one was Walmart. Just remember when you replace the hatch with one with a taller flange, chances are pretty good that you will be taller than before. If you were barely making it into your storage place, you might hit on the new vent.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #9

Registry
I had an original vent too, blew off on a trip, must have forgot to close it,,
The one I bought used the same holes so careful removing the rivets.
The second one I bought when I hit the garage door a few years ago used the same holes.
lots of suppliers, here's one.
Fred
RV Superstore Canada. VENT 9X9 MINI W/GARNISH
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #10

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Fred, was that vent a straight swap, or did it require a spacer of some kind?
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

Manitoba
There is also one at Canadian Tire. Looks similar but may take some handy work to make it fit. I would rather find some sort of packing that I could work around the lid. Will call at Princess Auto to see what they have.
If anyone knows of a way to weatherproof the old one , any comments would be appreciated.
Lionel
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #12

Michigan
Registry
re-sealing the vent

As previous poster noted, best way to re-seal the vent is to remove all fasteners (probably rivets), peel the vent bracket away from the fiberglass shell, clean up both the vent bracket and the FG shell, then re-seal with new butyl tape and re-fasten the bracket to the FG shell.

Its best to use at least 3/4" x 1/8" butyl tape. Make sure the butyl tape is the sticky type which is the consistency of freshly chewed gum.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #13

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
I have the original vent in my 73 boler. there is so little overhang on the lid it must be closed all the way even in the lightest rain otherwise it gets in. Where does one get 12 volt computer fans?
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #14

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Lionel,
On my 71 Boler I bought and installed a Hengs brand standard roof vent with fan (the cheap one) and it fit perfect. The interior plastic trim ring was too thick for the thin Boler ceiling but I decided to make one out of wood anyway that looks nicer than the plastic. Hope this helps!
John
Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #15

Missouri
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Dyke View Post
I have the original vent in my 73 boler. there is so little overhang on the lid it must be closed all the way even in the lightest rain otherwise it gets in. Where does one get 12 volt computer fans?
Jan
Find a computer sales or service company, or check Kijiji for used ones in your area. Get the bigger 120mm units.

Or you can just pay the money to get a powered roof vent that has a taller flange and is less likely to leak anyway. (I think you would be better off in the long run.)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #16

Manitoba
roof vent

Hi and thanks for the ideas.
I have found new vents and the local RV dealer will install them but the price is way out of whack. It is not that bad that I will pay that much.
The vent itself does not leak.
The lid does not close well enough for the wind blown rain not to hit the camper roof and end up inside.
I think I am just going to try to find a way to insulate the lid edges or the vent edge to make the seal tighter.
Lionel
Old 07-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #17

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
I found the fans on Amazon, IMHO a fair price but I will probably just chance the complete vent with a bigger vent and add fans
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler