Find Burro Vin# - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #1

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: Burro
Ohio
Find Burro Vin#

Hi
We recently bought a 1986 Burro and restored it. When we went to get the title done in our name the title Bureau said into thousand 2012 the Vin number was put in somebody else's name. We contacted the person we bought the Burro from and it's been in her name since 2009 and has always gotten plates for it. We went to the title bureau together and they did find that our title is the original title and there were no duplicates issues for it. The persons name it's in now is across the country. They said it was probably a clerical error. So we had to go get a vin # check with highway patrol and they couldn't find anything.

Question is does anyone know if this is common and also if there are other ways to find vin#. The trooper has put it on up to figure it out and the title bureau even though it was a mistake done on their end some time ago.
Lyndsay Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsay Ohio View Post
Hi
We recently bought a 1986 Burro and restored it. When we went to get the title done in our name the title Bureau said into thousand 2012 the Vin number was put in somebody else's name. We contacted the person we bought the Burro from and it's been in her name since 2009 and has always gotten plates for it. We went to the title bureau together and they did find that our title is the original title and there were no duplicates issues for it. The persons name it's in now is across the country. They said it was probably a clerical error. So we had to go get a vin # check with highway patrol and they couldn't find anything.

Question is does anyone know if this is common and also if there are other ways to find vin#. The trooper has put it on up to figure it out and the title bureau even though it was a mistake done on their end some time ago.
Did the person who sold it to you sign over the actual title document and hand it to you? So since it is in someone else's name the next step is to request that it be checked to see if there is a current license plate from the state of residence for the title issued on the one from 2012 and what the actual physical description of that vehicle associated with the VIN number is. If it is not a 1986 Burro then that will provide the proof that it is indeed a clerical error at their end. If I was having this problem I would be on the phone directly with the state department of transportation in the location of the mistakenly issued title instead of relying on other people to be the go between. Also don't forget that every state has an attorney generals office for protection of consumer fraud. They will act as your advocates in sorting out issues where there is a potential for fraud. When they pick up the phone they get a very speedy response and resolution from other state agencies who might otherwise drag their feet simply because they don't want to be bothered with the chore and they already have a long list of other people asking them for information.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm a little confused. Do I understand there was a clerical error in typing the VIN number when the title was issued for this trailer? The VIN on the title links to another person and, presumably, a different vehicle. You verified through the highway patrol that this trailer is not the one belonging to the other person. The titling agency has acknowledged that and now you are looking for the correct VIN number on the trailer itself. Is that close?

Stamped into the tongue somewhere is the usual place. Not sure when that became SOP, but that's where I'd start looking. It may be obscured by layers of paint. Perhaps a Burro owner will chime in with better information...

Too late in your case, but it bears mentioning for the record... Best to check the VIN on the title against the trailer itself at the time of purchase and transfer title immediately after purchase (certainly before putting time and money into a renovation). As you have discovered, it's not always easy to locate on an older trailer, and the oldest vintage units did not get VIN numbers from the manufacturer, just a serial number. Hindsight being 20/20, of course...

Best wishes getting it sorted out!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm a little confused. Do I understand there was a clerical error in typing the VIN number when the title was issued for this trailer? The VIN on the title links to another person and, presumably, a different vehicle. You verified through the highway patrol that this trailer is not the one belonging to the other person. The titling agency has acknowledged that and now you are looking for the correct VIN number on the trailer itself. Is that close?

Stamped into the tongue somewhere is the usual place. Not sure when that became SOP, but that's where I'd start looking. It may be obscured by layers of paint. Perhaps a Burro owner will chime in with better information...

Too late in your case, but it bears mentioning for the record... Best to check the VIN on the title against the trailer itself at the time of purchase and transfer title immediately after purchase (certainly before putting time and money into a renovation). As you have discovered, it's not always easy to locate on an older trailer, and the oldest vintage units did not get VIN numbers from the manufacturer, just a serial number. Hindsight being 20/20, of course...

Best wishes getting it sorted out!
This is a quote from the OP Lindsay, you must not have noticed it when you read the posting. " So we had to go get a vin # check with highway patrol and they couldn't find anything."

The Highway Patrol inspects vehicles to verify that physical VIN number on the vehicle matches the number stated on the title.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I did see that, but I wasn't sure what it was they couldn't find. You're probably correct that they could not locate any VIN on the vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, vin