Awning suggestions for Burro? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
Awning suggestions for Burro?

Hello can someone recommend a couple Awning options for my Burro? Also need a suggestion on length as well. I have a 13ft (bumper to bumper) or 10ft body. Oh and what's the best way to attach it? Thanks!
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Your Burro is almost identical to our Uhaul. We first tried a rope & pole awning but didn't like it because of the sag in the center. Then bought a 7 foot Shademaker bag awning, current cost is just over $200. attached the rail with rivets. Because of the curve of the body I couldn't go over the 7 foot length, although I believe some have done so. Positives of the bag awning: it has "rafters", poles that extend out from by the rail to keep tension on the awning and a solid piece across the outer edge to keep it straight. Also get the optional center rafter. Negatives: the 7 foot awning is only available in the "Classic" model which has the crappy twist lock poles. 8 foot and longer is available in the "Supreme" model that has slide locking poles. I have heard that the 7' can be ordered in the Supreme model but doesn't project out as far. You would have to call Shademaker direct rather than try through one of the dealers that they want you to order from. I bought ours from Interwest Sports. Also when the awning is rolled up in the bag rain water somehow gets in the bag. I take the awning off when the trailer is not being used and sitting outside. Kind of defeats the purpose of the bag awning, but I don't want it rolled up and wet, and it slides off easy. My final opinion; I would buy one again, but try to get it in the Supreme model.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1981 Burro 13'
North Carolina
Tommy, I've had the same problem. Bought my 13", 1981, in March 2015 and have been researching the subject, since then. I have yet to find a decent solution, but have used a 10x10, straight leg, EZ Up canopy. It will just about cover the rain gutter over the door and with a few 4"square 2'x4 pieces of wood, you could make it work. With the option walls to the EZ Up, you should be able to keep most of the rain out of your "outdoor living area". This year I'll I'll have a 13', straight leg with walls to create even a larger area for cooking outside, a carpeted floor and other things. Hope this suggestion helps a little. I'll be hosting at Cataloochee, GSMNP, for the month of August if anyone would like to stop by and say hello. Congratulations to the National Park Service for 100 years of great camping for all of us.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Burro 13
Florida
Bill - do you know the height of your 13' canopy? Will the entire camper fit under it?
kdsailorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, burro