14" Fan/Vent recommendations for a vintage trailer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Personally to test it, I'd use an existing window with a screen and not cut another hole in the camper.

This may not be an option for the "OP" but it's an interesting and "fun" project for tinkerers. And, it IS an option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I haven't decided yet on the design or materials for that yet. I was going to get the fan and the electronics first, then do some brainstorming. I was thinking I might be able to find a way to use the screws holding the screen in to hold the fan as well. Just haven't got that far yet.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I think of Rub Goldberg as liking lots of unnecessary moving parts. I am not sure I understand the reference.

You're right, It was just unnecessarily complex, but I'm sure you understood the reference anyway!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If your into fiber glassing after you decide which fan you want fiber glass in a raised pad to mount the fan onto. That way when you mount the fan you don't have a lower seam at the roof line for the roof to drain into. Water rolls off the roof before leaking in the seam under the fan flange. The biggest problem is no one takes the time and expense to do the job right in the first place. Everyone wants to cut corners in preparation, fasteners, sealants and labor. Then they get leaks 2 years down the road.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You're right, It was just unnecessarily complex, but I'm sure you understood the reference anyway!
Well, perhaps my explanation was a bit over the top, but a fibreglass frame mounted to the outside of the trailer, to provide a raised lip that the fan attaches to seems simple enough to me.

How would you do it?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Well, perhaps my explanation was a bit over the top, but a fibreglass frame mounted to the outside of the trailer, to provide a raised lip that the fan attaches to seems simple enough to me.

How would you do it?
Post #6 on this thread shows the 14"X14" Fantastic Fan I installed to replace the "9X9" vent in my Trillium. It was a simple matter to make two short cuts to enlarge the opening to accept the larger vent.
My LoveBug was the same, on it, the larger vent looked sorta looked like a cocked sailor's hat.

I understand your point and your solid viable solution, I assure you I meant no offense.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #26

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
I met a really tall guy with a Trillium last summer. He had an odd box on top of the trailer that I couldn't figure out. Turns out he expanded the existing vent hole to accommodate a standard 14" vent. He was a sheet metal worker and figured he might as well fabricate a taller box instead of just a lip around the hole. Now he has one spot in the trailer where he can stand up without stooping.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
David’s method is the way to go. You need to raise the vent section higher so it doesn’t become a roof drain.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I understand your point and your solid viable solution, I assure you I meant no offense.

Oh! No offense taken. I have been wrong in the past, and I will do it again. I am always looking for the error of my ways. My approach to this, and other problems my be more work then necessary. But that is kinda my style. I think that the advantage of my approach, in this case, is that it will both shed water, and, (depending on the size of square tube selected) the controls of the fan end up recessed a bit, so no loss of head room. Other strategies will work as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #29

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 16
Wisconsin
A few weeks ago I upgraded our '94 Scamp 16 from what I assume was the original 6" fan in a 12" hole (!?!) to a Dometic Standard Fan-Tastic Ceiling Fan Vent without Thermostat #1631 from Camping World. I went the no frills route, with no thermostat or rain sensor for simplicity, and hopefully durability.

To preserve interior headroom I built a frame (from scrap 3/4" treated plywood) to raise the fan 3/4" on the OUTSIDE and the unit mounts to that.

I used the pre-drilled holes in the fan body to locate the holes in the plywood frame and the fiberglass shell. I primed and painted the plywood frame, then used butyl tape between both the fiberglass shell and the plywood frame and the flange on the fan. I bolted thru the flange, plywood frame and fiberglass shell with stainless steel bolts, washers and nylon insert locknuts, then caulked all seams and bolt heads.

Upon completion the locknuts are hidden in the rat fur and the trim bezel is flush with the rest of the ceiling.

The new fan moves MUCH more air, even on low setting, than the noisy old 6" unit ever did. We are heading out again in a couple of weeks and will put it to the real test if the weather cooperates! (If temps stay in the 30's at night we won't be needing the fan much!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3897.jpg   IMG_3893.jpg  

IMG_3911.jpg   IMG_3908.jpg  

Brian5305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:26 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nice job Brian
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, vin