Trails West Campster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2007, 12:06 AM   #21

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
No Gina, It's my strawberry egg. You could paint yours and then call it McCherry.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The Compact Jr. posted on Ebay in Michigan has this bit of trivia included.

Quote:
These Fiberglass campers were made by hunngton structures only 3 years to my knowledge 71, 72 & 73 and were rumored to be made for military officers but were never sold so they were painted up and sold to the public.
The Hunngton is obviously an error, but I wonder if the military part is true? I doubt it since they aren't actually painted.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
With the increasing fuel costs, I'm really surprized that a mfr hasn't stepped up and fabbed a way of using multiple platforms for a fiberglass camper. We all know an all fiberglass camper will last a meaningful time with minimal maintenance.

I've found 1-2 mfrs that produce an all fiberglass camper as a slide-in into pickups, with over-cab bed design and just a box. They are similarly designed and the interior layout as these rear entry campers. Take the slide-in base and widen it out for a sleeker design, add a flat trailer frame base, and have a 'conversion' of a slider on a trailer frame. You get into 2 different markets with minimal expense and effort. Next step would be a way of sliding on the camper shell onto the trailer frame, thus a removable camper with an utility frame. I use my utility trailer all the time, though its small 4x6. Its rather nice for use when all you have is small vehicles.
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The idea of a camper "module" for a flat deck utility trailer came up in the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum, and I'll say essentially the same thing here that I did there...

If it is just a flat deck, the actual trailer chassis is not a large fraction of the trailer's value, so rather than compromising the camper design to work this way, and complicating its use, it seems to me to make more sense to just have a camper trailer and a utility trailer, each well-suited to its use.

Having said that, there are always opportunities to assemble an interesting travel trailer from a slide-in camper and a trailer, perhaps with large storage compartments along the sides where the pickup box was supposed to be.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #25

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Quote:
Hunter must have been in Dallas at some time (or this could be an error by the magazine writer, which is certainly also possible.)

Attachment 6952

I sure wish we could see the gas price on that gas station behind the car!

Bobbie
kfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #26

Hi Bobbie,

I also have a Trails West Campster, not sure re year. I live in Oakhurst. Didn't know you had one down in Fresno. I had just sent an email to Trail West asking for a copy of their old logo. Then I saw your post. I thought I might update my logo with some fresh paint.

I love my little campster. We just took it to Oregon and back. I tow it with a subaru. It did great. In fact, we sleep so well on that bed that after we got home we were tempted to go out to the trailer to get a good nights sleep. It seems it is the only place we can sleep past 6 a.m.!

Would love to see your trailer sometime. I just put solar panels on mine. I love the convenience, although I might have gotten a little carried away with the panels which are almost bigger than the trialer! Since I don't usually do those mechanical kinds of things, I was pretty proud of myself. Then I stepped back a few feet, got a different perspective and wondered what I had done. Oh well, they work great and I can always take them off if need be. We could charge our phones, run our music accessories, etc., charge the fan.

I absolutely love this trailer. But, the thought of red trailer has been pretty tempting to me as well! For now mine is the original off white fiberglass, with a sort of hippie/gypsy trend going on the inside.

Have fun,

Kim
Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #27

Registry
Hi, Kim, mine hasn't actually been to Fresno yet as I bought it up here in Washington (and am still waiting for my California plates to come so I can tow it home in August.) Do you have some pictures of yours you can post? I'd love to see it. I'd like to redo the logo, too. Mine is visible enough to repaint if I had any ability to paint between the lines. I'm just now fixing up the inside.

Did you put AC in yours? Where is it?

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Hi, Kim, mine hasn't actually been to Fresno yet as I bought it up here in Washington (and am still waiting for my California plates to come so I can tow it home in August.) Do you have some pictures of yours you can post? I'd love to see it. I'd like to redo the logo, too. Mine is visible enough to repaint if I had any ability to paint between the lines. I'm just now fixing up the inside.

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

I didn't put AC in mine, but borrowed an idea, I believe it was from Gina, about having a little fan in the window. Works VERY WELL. I got it at Walmart for about 20, if that. It has recharable batteries and I can run it off of my 12 volt battery. Batteries recharge as it goes. I used it a couple of weeks ago when I was painting in the middle of the day, and it worked just fine, although it was very hot outside. I will take some pictures of the inside and post them, but for now I have one picture of the outside for the solar panels. I think I might be able to repaint my logo from sight as well, just need to find some talent in that department. Do you have any?

Kim
Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #29

Quote:

Bobbie

p.s. RE THE PLATES.

I bought mine in Reno and didn't worry about the plates. I just towed it home and got them later. Actually, I am a prosecutor and I don't recall the law in that regard, but I would think there would be some window of opportunity for a new owner to get the plates after returning home. Could be wrong about that, so don't quote me! In any event, no one stopped me. I can tell you this little trailer is so much fun!
Old 07-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #30

Picture of Trails West Campster in Wawona, Yosemite Park, Ca.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #31

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerwawona__2_.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	8637
Trails West Campster, Wawona, California
Old 07-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
p.s. RE THE PLATES.

I bought mine in Reno and didn't worry about the plates. I just towed it home and got them later. Actually, I am a prosecutor and I don't recall the law in that regard, but I would think there would be some window of opportunity for a new owner to get the plates after returning home. Could be wrong about that, so don't quote me! In any event, no one stopped me. I can tell you this little trailer is so much fun!
They allow 20 days after you enter the state. The problem is that the Washington tags ran out at the end of May and as a California resident I can't renew them, so to have any valid registration I had to do California plates before I returned. I think if they don't come I'll be able to get temp. permits from Washington and Oregon, but I haven't asked- I still have six weeks to get the plates.

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
I think I might be able to repaint my logo from sight as well, just need to find some talent in that department. Do you have any?
I'm worried about being able to paint it with the lines all still visible, just needing new paint! No talent here, sorry.

Tags
campster, trails west