Awning for 1974 Trails West Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trails West Campster
Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Byrnes
I like being able to extend my living area, so I usually use a tarp or screen room. It would be nice to find an awning that could attach permanently to the rear of my Campster. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Campster_with_Tarp.jpg  
Katie Byrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Hi, Katie, your setup looks nice, and your Campster looks nice, but I only wish I had an answer!

Most awnings are too long to fit on the back. I got a Kelty Carport Deluxe for mine, and right now it attaches with Velcro- not sure how well that is going to work as we haven't used it much that way.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
These come to mind ...

http://www.countryhomescampers.com/awning.htm

Notice the width of the case compared to the width of the canopy. I don't know the profile of the back of your Campster but this could probably be made to work with mounting brackets.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Hi, Katie, your setup looks nice, and your Campster looks nice, but I only wish I had an answer!

Most awnings are too long to fit on the back. I got a Kelty Carport Deluxe for mine, and right now it attaches with Velcro- not sure how well that is going to work as we haven't used it much that way.

Bobbie
Thanks Bobbie. After reading a few of the replies I realize the best way to Google for ideas is SUV or Van shelters/awnings, etc. - not RV awnings. They're all too big. Not too many Campsters out there. I'm not sure if I've ever seen another 1974. Katie
Old 05-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
These come to mind ...

http://www.countryhomescampers.com/awning.htm

Notice the width of the case compared to the width of the canopy. I don't know the profile of the back of your Campster but this could probably be made to work with mounting brackets.
It does look like it could work. I see on this same website that they also do pop-up replacements, which I will be looking at in the near future. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #6

Registry
I just saw there is someone not too far away who installs those... that might be a good thing if it works. They say it won't work on all vans so it might not work on all trailers, either, so it might be worth having someone look at it.

It would be very nice to have something easier than a separate tarp. Note they have one in silver that is more reflective.

I haven't seen a '74, either- I am not sure anyone else on this list has one? Can you post some more pictures of yours?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
I just saw there is someone not too far away who installs those... that might be a good thing if it works. They say it won't work on all vans so it might not work on all trailers, either, so it might be worth having someone look at it.

It would be very nice to have something easier than a separate tarp. Note they have one in silver that is more reflective.

I haven't seen a '74, either- I am not sure anyone else on this list has one? Can you post some more pictures of yours?
OMG! You got me thinking. I pulled out all of the original paperwork and realized I've be under a misconception. My parents bought the Campster in 1974 - used - from someone in Newport beach. It is actually a 1970. I have the original sales receipt from 1970. It was assembled in Portland, OR, and then sold and shipped to Trails West Campsters in Buena Park, CA. Including "options", the manufacturer's suggested retail price was $2,090.80. My parents paid $500 for it in '74. They stopped using it about 10 -15 years ago, and then it just sat in storage at the desert. About 7 years ago, I put some work in to it and started using it. New curtains, new upholstery, painted inside, added the silver stripe outside (to match my 2002 Honda CRV), sanded and painted the outside frame and tongue. My parents had never been able to run the refrig. on anything but electric. After seeing that a replacement would cost over $700, I was thrilled to find someone in the San Diego area that fixed it for only $50! Now it still runs perfectly on both propane or electric.

I've added a few personal touches (built a little wooden rack about the refrig.), and more storage in the sink/stove area. I have a few pictures now, and will add more in the future. Just got back from a 5-day camping trip in the Laguna Mtns. of San Diego. The built-in heater that runs on propane kept me from freezing when it got down to 26 degrees one night. I've seen several people talking about condensation inside, but I don't remember seeing that before. Of course the pop-up is ready for replacement - mostly due to the stitching disintegrating. I made temporary flaps using white vinyl (couldn't find yellow), vinyl glue and velcro. After this swine flu runs it's course, I have a few friends that might be able to find someone in Tijuana that would do a good job at a reasonable price.

Okay. I think I've gotten it all out now. Thanks for listening! Here are a few pictures...

Click image for larger version

Name:	LHside1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	19890
[attachment=23875:Sa
n_Elij..._St_Park.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails
RHside1.jpg   San_Elijo_Beach_St_Park.jpg  

Old 05-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #8

Registry
Is that the AC or a furnace to the left and below the stove? In the picture with the screen tent, does it butt right up to the trailer (I've thought of doing that.)

Mine has the icebox, not the 'fridge. My pop top is in okay, not great, shape, but it keeps bugs out and lets light and air in, so for now it is staying (though that awning company's pop tops looks like the exact same kind and they say they can make any size.) Are yours the original cabinet fronts, just painted?

Someone on this list had a 72 and they were supposedly made until 75. Mine says Idaho on the back plaque- what number is yours? VIN number, that is?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
I like being able to extend my living area, so I usually use a tarp or screen room. It would be nice to find an awning that could attach permanently to the rear of my Campster. Any ideas?
The width of your Campster is 6 feet and it just so happens that you can get a Shademaker bag awning in that width and can even get an Add-a-Room as well. Plus, shipping is free in the U.S.. Check out this website: Shademaker Bag Awning
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #10

Registry
That looks good, too. Did you get one of those, Lisa? I wonder how well the add-a-room would fit.

Bobbie
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
That looks good, too. Did you get one of those, Lisa? I wonder how well the add-a-room would fit.

Bobbie
No, I did not buy one of these for my Campster because I have several huge tents and canopies that I can use for the time being. I bought an 8 foot awning rail to put on the side of my Campster just to be prepared for when the time comes that I'll need a bag awning/room. I also want to poke all the holes in the fiberglass shell before I do the wiring, install the LED lights, and add the insulation. I'm trying to plan for all contingencies and address any potential leaks in advance. The rail I bought also has a rain gutter feature that will be useful with or without the awning. Ideally, I'd like to attach the same kind of rail on the other side of the trailer as well as on the rear end. This will give me a lot of versatility when it comes to how particular campsites are oriented and which side the kitchen will need to be placed.

There have been a number of threads discussing the merits and annoyances of bag awnings, the screen room, and Add-a Room attachments. I would suggest reading as many of these threads as possible before making your purchase. It would hang lower on our trailers compared to our non-pop-top counterparts that have a higher roofline. But then again, many of those folks can't fit their trailers in a standard garage!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Is that the AC or a furnace to the left and below the stove? In the picture with the screen tent, does it butt right up to the trailer (I've thought of doing that.)

Mine has the icebox, not the 'fridge. My pop top is in okay, not great, shape, but it keeps bugs out and lets light and air in, so for now it is staying (though that awning company's pop tops looks like the exact same kind and they say they can make any size.) Are yours the original cabinet fronts, just painted?

Someone on this list had a 72 and they were supposedly made until 75. Mine says Idaho on the back plaque- what number is yours? VIN number, that is?
Bobbie - It's the furnace. I don't have AC - unless you count all the windows The screen room does butt up against the trailer. Just have to constantly make sure the trailer door doesn't get hung up on the screen. I do bounce back & forth between the screen room and the tarp.

Yes, I just painted over the original cabinet fronts. However, I've found that now the drawers and cabinets sometimes stick and pull off patches of the paneling. At some point I hope to refinish the cabinets.

I'll check on the VIN # and get back to you.

By the way, do you find that you occasionally hit your head - PAINFULLY - against the top of the door frame? Putting up a cushioned weather strip has helped some.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #13

Quote:
The width of your Campster is 6 feet and it just so happens that you can get a Shademaker bag awning in that width and can even get an Add-a-Room as well. Plus, shipping is free in the U.S.. Check out this website: Shademaker Bag Awning
Hi Lisa - I like that these awnings look kind of retro. I'll definitely consider them, and I like the ADD-a-Room - especially if it is more convenient to set up than my screen room.

Do you have pix of your Campster?

Thanks,

Katie
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
By the way, do you find that you occasionally hit your head - PAINFULLY - against the top of the door frame? Putting up a cushioned weather strip has helped some.
Boy can I relate! After almost knocking myself out a couple of times, I finally put a section of foam pipe insulation on top of the doorjam when the door is open. It has saved me more than a few times from getting a number of horn-sized bumps on my head!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Boy can I relate! After almost knocking myself out a couple of times, I finally put a section of foam pipe insulation on top of the doorjam when the door is open. It has saved me more than a few times from getting a number of horn-sized bumps on my head!
Hi Lisa - Just ran across an old thread where you were talking about replacing your Hadco 300. What did you end up with?

I have the original Hadco 300 (HR-3) in my 1970 Campster, which runs on propane or electric. Fortunately for me, after a $50 repair it has worked beautifully for the past 8 years.

Katie
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #16

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Byrnes View Post
I was thrilled to find someone in the San Diego area that fixed it for only $50! Now it still runs perfectly on both propane or electric.

Of course the pop-up is ready for replacement - mostly due to the stitching disintegrating......I have a few friends that might be able to find someone in Tijuana that would do a good job at a reasonable price.
Attachment 19890
[attachment=23875:Sa
n_Elij..._St_Park.jpg]

I know this is an old thread, but who did you get to work on your refriegerator, i am in el lay but a trip to SD might be worth it, also did you ever get your top canvas remanufactured??

Thanks. .
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't know if we'll ever hear anything from Katie. She had Last Activity: 03-28-2010 10:04 PM on FiberglassRV

Come back Katie... we miss you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster, trails west