Seattle '73 amerigo update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Seattle '73 amerigo update

Gutted, the tongue weight was 90 pounds. With the floor ply in place and two deep cell marine batteries chained to the tongue in their battery boxes, the tongue weight is up to 210. We don't even have walls installed yet!

Would it work, if it ends up going over 350, to put more weight in the back just so we can get to a scale and find out what the total weight to tongue ratio is?

The outside is entirely painted.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Registry
Seattle '73 amerigo update

Paul is sealing the floor ply today after hand-painting a basketweave design on it. The plain marine ply was very beautiful, but just couldn't quite do it.

There is no smell inside at all now except for the new materials.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Registry
seattle '73 amerigo update

We're having trouble finding a 2nd pair of brake lights so we may just move our current ones UP to make them more visible. Ideas?

If we do that, how high should we move them, do you think? Above or just below the belly band? We want to be visible!
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Looking good to see yours & Paul's efforts coming together!

The original lights are mounted pretty low, I planned on doing a third center mounted LED brake light on my FG-16. They are fairly inexpensive & may help keep your back bumper where it belongs!

I may mount mine inside the rear window, I did a test fit & it's seems bright enough even thru the tinted plexiglass. I think above the belly band will give you the best visibility.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160227_122603789.jpg  
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #5

Registry
Thanks.

Paul said he likes the idea of one central light above the belly band. I want it installed before we put the inside walls up, seems like it'd just be a lot easier that way. Or could he run the wires and install it later? Would it mount to the window frame, then?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #6

North Carolina
You could run the wires now & hook it up after your done with the interior.
The light I bought on ebay has a brake and tail light so you'll need 3 wires (ground, tail & brake).

Just an FYI, unless you have a 3rd brake light feed wire from your tow vehicle you'll need to feed it from both left and right brake lights with a diode inline on each feed otherwise the center brake light may flash when the turn signal is activated. I hope that last part makes sense!
Old 05-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #7

Registry
If the brake light flashes when the turn signal is on...is that in any way a danger, like for fire? What about if it only flashes when the right turn signal is on?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

North Carolina
Kai,
No danger of fire, it just looks a little strange when the third brake light is flashing with one turn signal. I've seen a lot of truck caps w/the third brake light wired that way especially on older trucks w/o a third light from the factory.

If that doesn't bother you then you could feed it from one side or the other.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Seems like it would diminish the whole point of the high-mount stop light. A light coming on that wasn't on before is more likely to alert an inattentive driver. If it's already flashing with a turn signal, the guy behind you is less likely to notice when you start braking.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #10

Registry
Thanks...

Today we laid out all the old wall boards and decided the first thing to go back in would be
the front support for the fridge closet.

Discovered our ceiling/roof has sagged, so Paul has had
to ease/brace it up.

Any suggestions about wall replacement procedures?

We sourced out some nice thin sanded plywood nearby.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
For the centre brake light, you need a tail light converter to filter out the turn signal so the brake light stays on steady.
72zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #12

North Carolina
Kai,
I'm at about the same phase with my FG-16 & here's how I plan on doing the insides when I get back on the project later this summer.

1) I'll start with the fridge/closet, the toilet/closet and the stove/sink cabinet as those are support members.
2) I have the rear gaucho/trunk area in mine & I plan on plan on redoing it a little stronger than how it was originally built. They had a 5/8" piece of plywood running from one side to the other for the couch area with literally no support along the back wall.
3) After the gaucho I'll do the front dinette/seating area.
4) The front & rear walls go up first as they run long behind the ends of the side walls. When I first starting taking it apart I didn't understand why they didn't tie the front & back walls to the side walls, it seemed like it would be much stronger that way. After some thought I realized they did it that way so it could "move around" a little w/o having the walls pull apart at the inside corners.
5) After the walls are up you can hang the upper cabinets.

Don't forget to plan for wiring any lighting, accessories etc as well as your water lines. Fortunately with the raised floor section you can easily go from side to side with any wires or water tubing.

I haven't decided on the wall material yet, I'll be following your progress to see how you do yours.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #13

Registry
Hi, SteveV,

Thanks! Paul has the fridge closet mostly done. He's finishing up painting the shelves now. Then he's decided to work on the galley area, but first we have to get some paneling. We used a sheet of lightweight plastic/fiberglass behind the fridge closet...too lightweight to hold itself up but he screwed it into the edge of the ceiling border.

The plywood paneling we found is at Home Depot for $11.97 a sheet. It's "sanded" and is remarkably smooth. It's under a quarter of an inch thick, which is what I'd hoped to find. We'll be using the original panels as templates, minus all the extra holes and dings and egregious delamination.

The one "drawback" to this paneling is that instead of having a beigy/yellow tone, it is almost pink. But I like it. I think we're going to "pickle" it, that is, rub it with white stain, rub back, and give it a coat of good clear sealer. All after it's cut and fit, then brought back and finished in the garage, flat. One sheet at a time, probably. It'll look less pink and more white. The wood grain is really nice, and will still show.

Paul was very interested in your ideas about why some areas aren't joined...it's counter-intuitive for old home-remodelers like us.

Thanks again!

Kai
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #14

Registry
More progress: galley area is nearly finished. Sealing the countertop now, and tomorrow we'll work on and, I hope, install wooden supports for the sides and upper cabinet. Originally it looked like only 1/4" paneling was used as a support. We're using scraps of the 5/8" marine ply for now. Will use angle iron at the top to capture the full bottom corner of the upper cabinets.

The 11.97 a sheet pre-sanded plywood is working great. We reverse-stained it (that is, we went over it with white stain) and wiped it back, then sealed it with Ace clear sealer, one coat...it gently curves along the wall shape and is very neutral and attractive.

We got the original doors for the galley cleaned up and repainted; we have new silver hardware. Paul got the galley all wired, both 12V and 110. Been looking at both the 12V and 110 little fridges...maybe one of these days.

We cleaned up the original light fixtures...one of them is fairly sad so we've set it aside. We'll install only five for now. They look a lot better without all the glopped paint form the PO and the dark plastic wood-look tape around the outer edges. All white now, and quite nice.

We used aluminum pegboard for venting; the cabinet is 20" deep, 40" wide.
We used 1/2" ply on the left and right sides, and screwed into the floor, it feels quite solid. We'll put a handle on the door-side end for my own personal stability going in and out...and I'll use it as a towel bar as well.

Hope you're' doing well! Every day I think we both get slower at this...I think we areREALLY going to need a nice trailer vacation when we finish redoing it!
Old 06-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #15

Registry
June 5, galley has been done for a couple of days. We gave up on the wrought iron uprights and went with scalloped 5/8" marine ply scraps. The only thing left is to hang the lower doors and install a curtain in the upper base.

Trailer is wired, with extra wire laid behind things for later renovations should we or others decide to add things.

Now we're working on the Putin. (The "bathroom" without a bath, the "toilet" without a toilet, just a porta-potty, the "loo" outside of England, the "closet" that will definitely be used as a potty area...)

Man, was it tight in there for either of us! So we're opening it up some. Always planned on a curtain instead of the door, so that'll help.

Our Putin walls were countersunk into the flooring 1/4"! We couldn't figure out why the old panels were now all too tall! I thought the ceiling had sagged, but he swore that wasn't it. And even using his two panels and a pole method he couldn't get it to budge upward--not without breaking something, so he checked closer and we thought and thought. Finally realized the floor had been scribed and the panels had been set into a groove. So we shortened our templates by 1/4" and voila. That's all it took.

We're rebuilding the Putin walls the same way we did the closet. 1/2" ply, faired, sanded, primed, and "basket-woven" --a hand-painted effect to help hide irregularities and dings for the one main upright between Putin and the settee area, the 1/4" Home Depot ply for the other side and back,, and a white 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" frame at the front.

I call it, "Rebuilding, one toothpick at a time."

Was looking at my calendar today for the summer and fall NOG "near" us--the NOG (North Oregon Gathering) is exactly ONE YEAR from the day we went and bought this eternal project.

These things were designed and assembled like incredibly clever jigsaw puzzles. Each piece has an exact place, and we CAN change them around, but we need to be careful about where the next piece will fit!

It is exciting.

We'd have been lost at many points without your advice and encouragement. You, and many others here on FGRV.

Thanks to everyone who has helped!

BEST
Old 06-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
More progress: galley area is nearly finished. Sealing the countertop now, and tomorrow we'll work on and, I hope, install wooden supports for the sides and upper cabinet. Originally it looked like only 1/4" paneling was used as a support. We're using scraps of the 5/8" marine ply for now. Will use angle iron at the top to capture the full bottom corner of the upper cabinets.

The 11.97 a sheet pre-sanded plywood is working great. We reverse-stained it (that is, we went over it with white stain) and wiped it back, then sealed it with Ace clear sealer, one coat...it gently curves along the wall shape and is very neutral and attractive.

We got the original doors for the galley cleaned up and repainted; we have new silver hardware. Paul got the galley all wired, both 12V and 110. Been looking at both the 12V and 110 little fridges...maybe one of these days.

We cleaned up the original light fixtures...one of them is fairly sad so we've set it aside. We'll install only five for now. They look a lot better without all the glopped paint form the PO and the dark plastic wood-look tape around the outer edges. All white now, and quite nice.

We used aluminum pegboard for venting; the cabinet is 20" deep, 40" wide.
We used 1/2" ply on the left and right sides, and screwed into the floor, it feels quite solid. We'll put a handle on the door-side end for my own personal stability going in and out...and I'll use it as a towel bar as well.

Hope you're' doing well! Every day I think we both get slower at this...I think we areREALLY going to need a nice trailer vacation when we finish redoing it!
I would recommend using aluminum angle instead of angle iron. It will be more than adequate in strength but it will save on weight and it won't rust. It is also much easier to drill holes into it. You can buy aluminum angle at most hardware stores including Home Depot and Lowes. the 6061 T-6 is of structural strength.

If you get out towards Ballard and Shilshole give me a shout out and we can have coffee.
Karin
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #17

Registry
Hi, Karin,

Yes, we're using angle aluminum...I didn't realize I was using the term "angle iron" the way I'd use the term "kleenex" -- as a generic term for right-angle metal bracing, rather than specifically meaning "iron" or "Kleenex brand tissues."

Good point for anyone out there; aluminum is plenty strong, and doesn't rust. Paul always gives it a kind of "buff" before installing, so it's nice and clean looking. (Some of it is recycled/repurposed.)

You have a couple of great little campers!

And please, let us know if you're coming up to Renton Highlands!

Kathleen (Kai in Seattle=Kathleen near Renton)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We're having trouble finding a 2nd pair of brake lights so we may just move our current ones UP to make them more visible. Ideas?

If we do that, how high should we move them, do you think? Above or just below the belly band? We want to be visible!
Is there room to move them up? If so that would be a good solution since you don't have to go out and buy more stuff. Always nice not to have to spend extra money since there will be other uses for it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #19

Registry
I think they could have been moved up, but Paul opted for a single extra brake light in the center below the window. It's like the 3rd brake lights in other vehicles. It works with the brakes, but may flash when the right turn signal is flashing. We debated if that was issue enough to do more than the search we did for the parts that would fix it, and decided a flashing light is more noticeable than a steady one, and decided to leave it.

This would be more maddening that it has been if we were "restoring" it instead of "making it our own" and altering things to use what we have and what we can readily find (and afford).

I agree, it's nicer to reuse what you already have! We finally used the old interior lights, cleaning them up, repairing them, and today ordering some LED bulbs to replace the quite hot and power draining 12V.

Paul managed to get the ceiling fan working on all controls, and it helps. If it's this hot when camping, though, all my beautiful wickedness will simply melt.

Tags
amerigo