Want to mostly full time in a 13' Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #41

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
If you are comparing a fiberglass egg with any other type trailer, I'm not sure when but they started not including the hitch in the stated length of the trailer but they did. I thought this was very confusing. When I first looked at the floor plans I noticed they sure were getting more in then they used to but when I looked at the specs, I realized why. I just checked Camplite and they give a box length in the model number. So, be careful of comparing.
Good information to know that the different manufactures measure differently.

I suppose it's like the stated weight of the trailer. The manufacturer weight is generally lower than the completed trailer but there is no industry standard between manufactures as to what is included/not included in the stated weight.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #42

Name: Jack
Trailer: 1985 Casita liberty
Kentucky
I have a 16 ft casita now and the dry weight on it is 2380 so I figured another 3 or 4 hundred pounds wouldn't make much difference. The camplite has so much room in is why I like so much. Anyway I only have 6 years 145 days 8 hours and 45 minutes to go til fulltime. That's not too bad if you say it really fast. I just can't talk that fast.
Jack Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hicks View Post
I have a 16 ft casita now and the dry weight on it is 2380 so I figured another 3 or 4 hundred pounds wouldn't make much difference. The camplite has so much room in is why I like so much. Anyway I only have 6 years 145 days 8 hours and 45 minutes to go til fulltime. That's not too bad if you say it really fast. I just can't talk that fast.
I might have missed it but do you have a particular weight that you are trying to stay under? You should be able to compute the weight on the options that you will want and I would definitely do that. I worked in the office of a 5 star trailer manufacturer and I can tell you that the weights can really vary and the options really can run up the total. I like the Camplite too but after more than one bad experience with hail, I just could not see myself getting one. We had a metal sided mobile home, a new pop-up roof and windows in our house pelted to near death from hail storms. I just must absolutely compute my time until retirement because I'm betting that will help me make it through another day..............you know, there are just those days.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #44

Name: Jack
Trailer: 1985 Casita liberty
Kentucky
That makes a lot of sense about the hail. I had not even thought about that! Im really glad that you said that. More to think about and prepare for. I'm going to need these 6 years to get ready!!!
Jack Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #45

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
on the hail topic...
Some time ago my wife and i were drooling over airstream bambi models. I spent some time on the forum and found that airstream are not magical perfect rigs without flaws. Long ago, like most here, I found there is no _perfect_ RV. BUT the turning point for my wife and i was a post by a retired couple who purchased their get-away airstream. . .

And on their maiden voyage...through Texas...they tried to outrun a storm. They finally had to pull over and the rig got pelted with golf ball size hail. The rig had to be re-skinned, fortunately insurance paid for the repairs. Well from that post on i could no longer include airstream in my list of top picks.

... tops on our list at this point is a 2013 trillium. Not perfect, but might be great for us and our adventures.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #46

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hicks
That makes a lot of sense about the hail. I had not even thought about that! Im really glad that you said that. More to think about and prepare for. I'm going to need these 6 years to get ready!!!
A spray coating of bed liner on the roof would prevent most hail dents.

If you want to worry about hail,; what about your solar panel?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #47

Name: Beth
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
USA
Talking

We're setting off this week to full time in a 13' Scamp: two people and their 80# dog.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #48

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Have fun!

Please let us know all about it.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #49

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
on the hail topic...
. Well from that post on i could no longer include airstream in my list of top picks.

... tops on our list at this point is a 2013 trillium. Not perfect, but might be great for us and our adventures.
Thom, I was wondering why Trillium is tops, but you have a Park Liner on order, as Park Liner is on my radar along with Lil Snoozy.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #50

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Think carefully David. Going without propane really limits you. Better to have it and not use it then to need it and not have it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #51

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Think carefully David. Going without propane really limits you. Better to have it and not use it then to need it and not have it.
Deryk, I can add a stove & water heater myself, as I have with our two Scamps
and I use a Coleman Sportcat for heat, even though we have always had a furnace in both. I just do not like being awakened by the cycling of the furnace fan.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #52

New Jersey
Registry
Dave I sleep with earplugs normally and don't notice the heater come on. If i did order a brand new ParkLiner I would go without a heater and add a marine vented fireplace heater on the wall with the bathroom and just modify the screen door.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #53

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Thom, I was wondering why Trillium is tops, but you have a Park Liner on order, as Park Liner is on my radar along with Lil Snoozy.
Greetings David.
At the time of the quoted post (1/13/13) i had looked at Casita & Scamp in person and ruled them out for our needs/desires. And had been following Trillium and Parkliner as far as i could vicariously : ) without actually seeing either.

I spoke in depth with Tom of Trillium and their west coast dealer in the S.F.Bay Area. For the money (~$20K quoted with front corner bath/shower) I could not justify placing an order on a trailer that had a bathroom/shower as an afterthought.

I then quickly focused on getting final details on the Parkliner and spoke with Chandler on the phone one day for about 30 minutes. The next week i was fortunate enough to get a tour of a PL from an owner of an early model. My wife and I fell in luv with the PL and i placed an order the next day (January 24, 2013). Even with the added cost of having the PL professionaly delivered to our home on the Oregon coast it is several thousand dollars under the price of a similarly equipped Trillium...and the PL's floor-plan for us is PERFECT!!

My wife and i had been researching small trailers since selling our A-Liner in ~2010...and believe the PL will suit our needs/desires well as a kitchen/shower/dinette behind our "Bed&RR" in our Van conversion.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #54

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I love reading posts like this. I went from a 28ft 5th wheel down to a 17' Casita. It was a shock at first but we're adjusting and starting to appreciate the smaller trailer but we haven't spent more than 3 days straight in it. You guys are giving me hope that we would at least survive a longer trip. For me, surviving even three days in Casita has meant learning to live more comfortably OUTSIDE of it!

If you guys can do weeks in a 13' trailer, it inspires me... Few years to retire and I'd love to be able to spend a LOT more time on the road with the Casita. Wife is already looking at new trailers for retirement time. I'd prefer not to fix something if it isn't broken! (-:}

Thanks again for the inspiration.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #55

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
I love reading posts like this. I went from a 28ft 5th wheel down to a 17' Casita...
Thanks again for the inspiration.
DITTO

And for my wife and i, thanks in part to the info gathered here at FGRV forums we are confident that the combination of Van+Egg will be a comfortable retirement setup for our lifestyle.

I've shared elsewhere that we went from a 3 bedroom farmhouse on an acre of land to our current full time live-in 38ft fifth wheel. Funny thing is we actually sense there is greater organization and _room_ in the Fiv'er...and we still find ourselves wondering why we have so much room as we are rarely a hug apart.

IMO, two compatible souls can find comfort in such cozy places as what we find talked about here in Eggsville forum

Cheers,
Thom
Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #56

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oregon
I have a 1978 13' scamp that my boyfriend, dog and I have been living in for the last 2 months. We've gone from Eugene, Oregon to Seward, Alaska at this point and are now parked at the lodge we will be working at for the rest of the summer.
I went from living in 800sqft with a couple of friends and 2 dogs to living in the Scamp with my boyfriend and dog, so other than the dog, my decision to do this alaska trip, which i hope is the beginning of me moving and working seasonally, meant big changes in my lifestyle over a very short period of time.
This means that there have been a few freak-out moments, like when I got lost and ended up at the end of a one lane muddy, snowy road in the middle of the forest with no where to turn around and very limited skills in backing up AND my car was overheating AND it was snowing...we have survived though.
As far as living in the trailer, it has been a great experience. I am a pack rat and get really attached to certain many things that I then will not let go of. It was very good for me to have to get rid of a lot of stuff and only keep that which I could fit in the trailer and my isuzu trooper, which is my tow vehicle. That said, I did give my parents some family heirlooms that were not mine to get rid of, which was nice because I could not have parted with them, and I stored a couple of trunks of keepsakes with family and friends.
However, it turns out that after getting rid of 7 garbage bags full of clothes, and a house full of furniture and possessions I still brought way too much stuff! I have gotten rid of another garbage bag worth of stuff since leaving home and hope to continue to find things to ditch so that I can have more room to live in the trailer instead of just sift through stuff. It is amazing how fast a small space crammed with stuff can get messy if things are not always put back in just the right place.
It was still snowing and raining when we go up here and the humidity in the trailer was horrible. We are still having a hard time getting the bottom of the bed cushions to stay un-moldy and we have taken everything that could possibly mold out of the booths except for that which we can store in some military surplus dry bags that we picked up. When it got a little warmer, I discovered that the summer dresses that I had carefully packed in the booths had begun to mold and smelled horrible. I freaked out and we ended up spending our day off laundering all our warm weather clothes and reorganizing the trailer. I don't know if the newer scamps have the same problem with condensation but I am thinking of drilling some holes to create air circulation between the main area and all enclosed booths. I also like the mod that some people made where they have pull out drawers with plastic containers in them to keep their stuff. That makes access to things in the booths much easier and probably helps keep their clothes away from the mold.
As far as 2 people and one dog in such a small space, we spend a lot of time outside. We go on hikes, have bbqs with coworkers, go hang out in town and don't spend much time in here. When we do, it is usually on a cold day where we just want to be in a warm cozy little cave anyways so the trailer works great for that. We also work for about 10 hours a day. On the way up when it was snowing and their wasn't much to do other than sit in the trailer we did start to get on each other's nerves, but all that has dissipated since the weather warmed up and work started. We have a shade tent set up and i am starting a container garden around it so going outside is calm and relaxing with our little 'front porch'.
We still have a lot of stuff to work on and figure out as far as organization and mods but I think once we do we could do this indefinitely, living somewhere for a season and then packing up and traveling around for a while until we reach our next seasonal gig. That said we like it here so much that we might try and rent a place for the winter just to see all the seasons of alaska, then work another season at this lodge before driving the alcan back to the rest of the US to find another seasonal job or travel around a while. We would stay in the trailer all winter if there wasn't the serious possibility that we would freeze to death parked next to whatever winter lodge we get a job at.
Lisallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #57

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Arlon I can relate. We went from a 35' 3-slide 5er to our 19' 0-slide 5er. I just got tired of the big unit and trying to get in and around places. We are adjusting as well and are just as happy with no payments also. Not sure I could live full time with the wife and two dogs unless I was forced to.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #58

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
It think a 19' 5'er is a BIG camper. Lol. Comparably anyhow.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #59

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Dave I sleep with earplugs normally and don't notice the heater come on. If i did order a brand new ParkLiner I would go without a heater and add a marine vented fireplace heater on the wall with the bathroom and just modify the screen door.
Deryk, What type would you get? A propane Dickensen? Or some other type of fuel?

I am a fan of the vented heaters. My experience has been sty with Propane wall mounts. One of it good. At sea is no place to fix one of hunt for a manual. It turned out to be an easy fix at the dock--a gummed up line. I never though that would be a problem in a propane heater.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #60

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah I would go with propane. If you were an apocolypse kinda person I would say go diesel because you could run it on bio-diesel Im sure

Propane is easy to deal with, and the Dickinson Newport propane model, the fan only really needs to run when you first light it to get the flue working... perhaps if its really windy outside you might need to run it...but it would heat the cabin of a 13 or 16' trailer and not drink as much power... which means without solar or a generator you could boondock longer in a cooler climate.

Tags
scamp