Want to mostly full time in a 13' Scamp - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #61

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Yeah I would go with propane. If you were an apocolypse kinda person I would say go diesel because you could run it on bio-diesel Im sure

Propane is easy to deal with, and the Dickinson Newport propane model, the fan only really needs to run when you first light it to get the flue working... perhaps if its really windy outside you might need to run it...but it would heat the cabin of a 13 or 16' trailer and not drink as much power... which means without solar or a generator you could boondock longer in a cooler climate.
I didn't know those had a fan. I have see a number of small used boating heaters, of various fuel types for sale on eBay. I think it is important to be able to use one without any need for power, and this makes it quiet also. In any case it seems that fuel consumption is rather high for propane. With a ready supply of propane, that seems like a good fuel choice for a camper.

I am leaning towards building my own super insulated freezer/fridge powered by DC only. I'd rather put my money into a big battery bank and Solar panels. I would be thrilled to ditch the propane completely and use a rocket stove outside or a wood or diesel stove inside for cooking and hot water.

Super Insulated DC refrigerator requires 10-15 A-H per day.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/h...s-death/nQTwx/
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #62

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
If i had a diesel tow vehicle I would consider the diesel fueled heater... but for my limited propane use for heating Im not going to complain. The assist fan is mainly to get the exhaust to go up the flue pipe. It could be shut off after that. I did put a fan on the floor blowing up at the flue pipe to help move the hot air around better...I was happy with it. The diesel heater was the best...but I had a 20 some gallon diesel tank on the boat so it was nice...

Batteries are heavy, I cant see carrying more then a pair. I do want to pickup a larger solar panel in the fall to help keep my batteries topped off for cold weather camping... but if they get low I have a generator. Im liking my 3 way fridge... it does the job for me.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #63

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I don't think you can easily beat the energy to weight ratio of propane. For heating or fridge. 15 ah is pretty much a days output from a 30 watt solar panel that puts out 2 amps. Most would have bigger panel than 30 watt but if you had a 60 watt set up you would still need to devote 50% of your output to the fridge each day. Assuming good sun.

DC fridge is lighter than 2 or 3 way fridge so it might work out as an even exchange. Fridge weight for extra battery weight.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #64

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
. <snip> The diesel heater was the best...but I had a 20 some gallon diesel tank on the boat so it was nice...

Batteries are heavy, I cant see carrying more then a pair. I do want to pickup a larger solar panel in the fall to help keep my batteries topped off for cold weather camping... but if they get low I have a generator. Im liking my 3 way fridge... it does the job for me.
I have never used a diesel heater. Any issues with odor or getting it started? I am putting a huge tank on my boat later this month a d I have space for two more. So I will be using a diesel heater--either wall mount or a Webasto furnace. One requires electricity the other doesn't. I am leaning towards a wall mount. Not sure if it will heat a 46' sloop adequately.

Regarding batteries in a camper. My brother pulled out the generator in his Bigfoot truck camper and install two big 4D batteries and more solar panels. It was lighter than having the Onan genset which sucked up a lot of fuel. He charged the batteries up at home and the panels kept him topped up for several weeks at a time.
If you can do without AC or run AC when plugged in only, it makes sense. I have give it a lot of thought. I don't want a generator. I'll use solar and perhaps a wind generator.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #65

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I have never used a diesel heater. Any issues with odor or getting it started? I am putting a huge tank on my boat later this month a d I have space for two more. So I will be using a diesel heater--either wall mount or a Webasto furnace. One requires electricity the other doesn't. I am leaning towards a wall mount. Not sure if it will heat a 46' sloop adequately.

Regarding batteries in a camper. My brother pulled out the generator in his Bigfoot truck camper and install two big 4D batteries and more solar panels. It was lighter than having the Onan genset which sucked up a lot of fuel. He charged the batteries up at home and the panels kept him topped up for several weeks at a time.
If you can do without AC or run AC when plugged in only, it makes sense. I have give it a lot of thought. I don't want a generator. I'll use solar and perhaps a wind generator.
A lot of battery usage depends on what you feel is necessary. A television, dvd player, water pump, etc. etc. I use very little battery, my little trailer has all LED lights and the only other thing that uses battery is the furnace. Most of the battery usage is furnace, therefore the amount of time the furnace runs determines the amount of time before my battery runs out.
I have a small 80Amp/hour battery, a 50 Amp/hour battery for my ham radio and a 65 Watt Solar panel that comes out about every 3 or 4 days to charge the house battery when the furnace runs a bit. With the furnace not running, well I really don't know how long that little battery will go, longer than I usually camp in one spot.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #66

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I don't think you can easily beat the energy to weight ratio of propane. For heating or fridge. 15 ah is pretty much a days output from a 30 watt solar panel that puts out 2 amps. Most would have bigger panel than 30 watt but if you had a 60 watt set up you would still need to devote 50% of your output to the fridge each day. Assuming good sun.

DC fridge is lighter than 2 or 3 way fridge so it might work out as an even exchange. Fridge weight for extra battery weight.
I am not too concerned about weight..I can cut weight other ways. Mostly I want off grid boondock capability. I don't see how I can eliminate propane completely.

I suppose I could use a rocket stove for outdoor cooking and a diesel stove for winter heat and indoor cooking. I could heat hot water with a solar coil supplemented by the stove. And s DC for the fridge.

Still nothing beats propane for cooking inside or out. Fast and easy.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #67

Registry
We spend almost 1/2 the year in our trailer, 3 months in the winter on one long trip and several shorter trips in the summer. Off the grid, 99% of the time. Last winter's trip out 90+ days 4 days with electric hookup.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #68

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I had a diesel heater on my last 2 sailboats that I lived on and it is prefered over propane because it puts out more btu's...but its not a push button start... takes a wee bit more effort. properly vented you shouldn't smell anything, should be going up the flue. If I had a diesel truck I would consider a diesel heater for sure!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #69

Name: Philip
Texas
just an aside here: my wife and I and a dog and a cat spent five years on the road in a large fifth wheel. 35 footer. We learned even in that space to quickly find both a nearby mall -for indoor walking and dollarless window shopping- and more importantly the local library. If you have a place you can go to be "away" from the other occupants it makes life much more serene. Doesn't really matter how big or how small. at home now I live in a very old 1800 sq. foot two story house. I would bet 90% of my time is spent in no more square footage than when in the big rig. Of course I just bought a 1999 scamp 13 footer to escape in too!
PhilipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #70

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I think that anything close to full timing "inside" our Scamp13 might drive me a little crazy. However, adding some "outdoor" living space might make it more doable?

We recently added an "instant" screen room to our camping equipment. It is made
by a company up in Rogers, Mn (southeast of Backus toward Minneapolis)

Not counting the stakes, one person can set it up in about 45 seconds and take it
down in even less time. It is a CLAM 1660 Mag Screen Tent. A couple of optional
"wind panel" kits (3 panels per kit) will turn it into a fully enclosed "tent" space for sleeping, a porta-potti privacy space, or ????

You can find more details in the following URLs:

Clam Six Pack Screen Tent Video...The others don't compare.

http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9281-6-Pack-140-Inch/dp/B00E3LF7FK/ref=sr_1_1

Clam Corporation 9294 3-Pack Screen Hub Wind Panels/Canopies - $34.65
http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9294-3-Pack-Canopies/dp/B00E5BHB6Q/ref=sr_1_2

Regards,

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #71

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
I think that anything close to full timing "inside" our Scamp13 might drive me a little crazy. However, adding some "outdoor" living space might make it more doable?

We recently added an "instant" screen room to our camping equipment. It is made
by a company up in Rogers, Mn (southeast of Backus toward Minneapolis)

Not counting the stakes, one person can set it up in about 45 seconds and take it
down in even less time. It is a CLAM 1660 Mag Screen Tent. A couple of optional
"wind panel" kits (3 panels per kit) will turn it into a fully enclosed "tent" space for sleeping, a porta-potti privacy space, or ????

You can find more details in the following URLs:

Clam Six Pack Screen Tent Video...The others don't compare.

http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9281-6-Pack-140-Inch/dp/B00E3LF7FK/ref=sr_1_1

Clam Corporation 9294 3-Pack Screen Hub Wind Panels/Canopies - $34.65
http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9294-3-Pack-Canopies/dp/B00E5BHB6Q/ref=sr_1_2

Regards,

Ray

Outdoor living space is already there. Adding a screen tent, etc. restricts the outdoor living space.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #72

Connecticut
Living in a 13" camper is insane. While it is better than a tent it is not practicable for full timing. I think the minimum size is 17'. And still bigger would be better. Plus it would need good insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #73

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Living in a 13" camper is insane. While it is better than a tent it is not practicable for full timing. I think the minimum size is 17'. And still bigger would be better. Plus it would need good insulation.

I beg to differ, but I could live full-time quite happily in my Escape 13. One just needs to be creative. And some reincarnated nomads like me enjoy small spaces.
Phil
Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #74

Connecticut
Phil perhaps you are right. While sailing we have lots of people in a bigger space but the amount if individual space is much less.

When I invite people to sail with me in the Caribbean. I tell them one carry on size, soft piece of luggage. All you need is a swim suit and a toothbrush. Some people go nude for the whole time. I also tell people to bring food. You can buy a T shirt anywhere. Honestly you could travel with a lunch box size bag down there if bedding is provided on the boat.

I said 17' because that is the length of my camper and it suits me well. I works for two people and a few dogs.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #75

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
After having spent more time than not of the past two years full timing in a 13 footer I'd say it totally depends on your lifestyle, camping spot, expectations, etc. Much of the time I've been pretty darn happy and cozy, but I'd be lying to say there were never moments when it was a bit frustrating.

I'm getting a "real" apartment, but it was a hard decision between that and getting a 17B Escape, which I think would be a MUCH better full time option than a 13" Scamp. If I could put a 17B downtown, I'd probably have done that!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp